What Tet and Gandalf did in the war thread (Nostalgia)

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
some_thing_wild
Paster of Muppets

Re: Nostalgia Thread

Postby some_thing_wild » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:45 am

houston4044 wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:
Anyone remember Dragon's Fury? Utterly amazing pinball game that was actually more like a shoot em up. Stopped playing computer games in about 93 or something.

:? To google! :lol:

I still have this, as well as Crüe Ball. Yeah, that Motley Crüe pinball

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:14 am

some_thing_wild wrote:
houston4044 wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:
Anyone remember Dragon's Fury? Utterly amazing pinball game that was actually more like a shoot em up. Stopped playing computer games in about 93 or something.

:? To google! :lol:

I still have this, as well as Crüe Ball. Yeah, that Motley Crüe pinball

Dragon's Fury was such awesome game....almost makes me wanna buy a Mega Drive to play it again!!!

Crue Ball was pretty terrible unfortunately though....still as pinball games go, even that wasn't as bad as the hideous Sonic Spinball.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:51 pm

When you said pinball/shoot 'em up it was a bit wtf :lol: looks pretty cool though.

Motley Crue pinball? Oh god :lol:

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Mar 11, 2015 2:43 pm

For those looking for nostalgic gaming experiences, here's a selection of some of the finest games ever written:

Battle Squadron:

The Sentinel:

Wizball:

Paradroid:

Datastorm:

CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:16 am

If were talking best game ever, this has to be up there

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:14 pm

Really? I thought it was hugely overrated. If you take out the novelty humour that wears thin after a fairly short period of time, I found the gameplay to be very average.

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:04 pm

houston4044 wrote:If were talking best game ever, this has to be up there

That's not Age of Empires.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:08 pm

Tet wrote:
Datastorm:

What computer was that on? Looks well good. I love the blocky little radars like that you always used to get on shoot em ups

On that note, some of my favourite computer games, from my favourite computer, the Acorn Electron:

Citadel - utterly incredible arcade adventure, based in a haunted castle, every screen is a different room, combines platform action with picked up objects and used them to solve puzzles and mysteries, massively ahead of its time, just amazing:

Cybertron Mission - thinking man's shoot 'em up; zap baddies, but also find keys to open doors and solve puzzles, and touch that red wall and you're electrocuted!

Ghouls - wickedly addictive platorm game, run your little yellow man over platforms, jump over spikes and avoid spiders and the evil ghoul...in the shot below player has just got splatted by a spider!

Repton 3 - no list of top Electron games is complete without a Repton game. First one was fun, second one way too hard, but the third one was perfect, amazing combination of arcade and strategy:

Sphinx Adventure - ah, the days of text adventures, this was a brilliant one, fun but very tough and with a massive range of locations and puzzles:

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:18 pm

Manic Miner was the best. :D

“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:48 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Manic Miner was the best. :D

:yes:

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Mar 12, 2015 2:05 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Tet wrote:Datastorm:

What computer was that on? Looks well good. I love the blocky little radars like that you always used to get on shoot em ups

It was on the Amiga. Everyone used to rave about Dropzone, which was a similar Defender-alike. But I always found it a bit lacking. Datastorm got it spot on. Fantastic game.

bloodfiend wrote:Repton 3 - no list of top Electron games is complete without a Repton game. First one was fun, second one way too hard, but the third one was perfect, amazing combination of arcade and strategy

The problem with Repton was always that it was a clone of Boulderdash, only without the gameplay. Boulderdash was a far, far better game.

If you're looking for the best games in the Beeb world, then you probably need look no further than Chuckie Egg (although I think I preferred the sequel, which wasn't release on the Beeb):

Plus, of course, Elite. I'm told that Elite Dangerous is a fairly faithful reproduction of the gameplay for modern PCs, but the bastards decided not to make a Linux version :-(

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:37 pm

BBC Two are showing some old comedies in the afternoon including Three Up, Two Down. That's not the nostalgia bit as I never watched it at the time.

They've just been kicked out of the pub in the middle of the afternoon. Now that's something I remember very well. You youngsters never had to put up with that nonsense.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:25 pm

Tet wrote:If you're looking for the best games in the Beeb world, then you probably need look no further than Chuckie Egg (although I think I preferred the sequel, which wasn't release on the Beeb):

I loved Chuckie Egg, ridiculously addictive, Citadel was definitely my favourite Electron game though.

In terms of the Beeb, Xor was a great game as well, like Repton but with things falling horizontally as well as down

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Mar 12, 2015 5:54 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:BBC Two are showing some old comedies in the afternoon including Three Up, Two Down.

Ahhhh, Lysette Anthony. I remember her well ;-)

some_thing_wild
Paster of Muppets

Postby some_thing_wild » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:19 pm