Mike Portnoy vs the NHS. And later, the Internet.

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Mike Portnoy vs the NHS. And later, the Internet.

Postby Darkweasel » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:19 pm

Former Dream Theater drummer Mike Portnoy has kicked off an angry debate about the UK’s National Health Service after reporting he’d had to leave an Accident & Emergency ward without being treated.

He apologised to fans attending his London show with the Neal Morse Band yesterday afternoon, saying he wouldn’t be able to appear at the planned meet-and-greet because he was feeling ill.

But he later posted a furious statement on Facebook after leaving hospital before receiving medical attention ahead of the concert.

Portnoy said: “A very special no thanks to the staff at the Whittington Hospital for not seeing me, regardless of telling them that there is an audience waiting for our show to begin. I finally left without seeing a doctor in order to make tonight's show.

“I have no idea how the hell I'm going to make it through this show. I can't even stand up or lift my arms.”

His comment has received more than 2000 responses in under 12 hours – including one from a doctor who works at Whittington’s A&E, who’s also a Portnoy fan.

Elliott Cheng said: “As much as I'd jump at the opportunity to help you if I was on call tonight, please try to understand. Us healthcare professionals don't want anyone to wait or suffer at all – however we encounter life-threatening conditions every hour, sometimes every minute, that stop us from seeing others that may be slightly less unwell as quickly as we'd like.

“The NHS is under-financed, understaffed, overworked. We do have to economise our resources. With all the respect I have for you, it hurts when one of my idols insults an organisation I work very hard for. Waiting sucks, I know – but dying patients suck even more.”

Health service quality is a hot political issue in the UK. It’s paid for through National Insurance payments taken from citizens’ wages, but some feel not enough is being spent on frontline provision. Others argue that the service model is outdated and fails to provide value for money, and must work harder under tighter budgets.

Whittington Hospital, which serves 500,000 people, is under pressure to deliver a faster A&E turnaround. The government has set a target for all hospitals to treat 95% of patients within four hours, but recent figures suggest it only manages 84%. Its website opens with an appeal to “use alternative services if your condition is not life-threatening.”

Portnoy fans were split over the issue. One pointed out: “It's not about skipping the line because he's famous – he wanted to be seen in order to not let the audience at the show down.”

One said: “Sorry for your illness, but you shouldn't get better treatment because you are a famous musician. Get over yourself already.”

And another suggested: “I think everyone would understand if you had to get a replacement. Don't try and play if your body won't let you.”

Others commented that, despite Portnoy’s statement, he would have been assessed by a medial professional on arrival through the triage system, and his waiting time would have been based on the severity of his condition.

The drummer didn’t provide details of his illness but managed to perform the show at the Islington Assembly Hall. Mainman Morse said on Facebook it had been “a weird day” dealing with Portnoy’s illness, but later added: “Mike played like a champ!” The band continue their European tour in Belgium tonight and remain on the road until March 14, in support of latest album The Grand Experiment.

Jim
Denim Demon

Re: Mike Portnoy vs the NHS. And later, the Internet.

Postby Jim » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:23 pm

What a fucking diva. He bans people that criticises him? He should move to tumblr.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:27 pm

Mike Portnoy is a joke.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:39 pm

If he could not move his arms, how did he type such a long rant ? Pathetic man, he will have been assessed, as would ever other patient in that waiting area and then placed in the appropriate bracket.

"don't you know who I am" always gets you pushed to the back of the queue in the UK. Interesting that he thought people should know who he was in the first place. Letting people know you have somewhere else to be, only lets the medics you that you are not "that" ill.

Not sure a hospital can issue treatment for an inflated ego.
Last edited by ScrumpiesVeteran on Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScrumpiesVeteran: "a great big bloke that smells of apples" - NOT !!!!

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:40 pm

Wow, what a massive twat!
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Sun Mar 08, 2015 2:43 pm

Best comment

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:20 pm

What a nob.
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Sun Mar 08, 2015 4:28 pm

So, that's my local hospital. Weirdly enough, I've been through their A&E a number of times with ill friends and have always thought their triage system was thorough and fair, despite the obviously large amount of people always there. Sounds like Portnoy's being a diva. Fuck that guy.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:17 pm

Welcome to Broken Britain. I don't know how anyone can stand up for shoddy service. It's 2015 in a Western country for fucks sake not Central Africa. Maybe if they stopped wasting billions on foreign aid.....

And that's aimed at recent governments of all colours not at the staff.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:42 pm

I'm curious as to what you think's broken here. That they refused to prioritise him over other patients seems pretty reasonable to me. I'd be extremely pissed off were I to be bumped to allow him to be seen sooner.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:47 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Welcome to Broken Britain. I don't know how anyone can stand up for shoddy service. It's 2015 in a Western country for fucks sake not Central Africa. Maybe if they stopped wasting billions on foreign aid.....

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sun Mar 08, 2015 5:54 pm

I saw this this morning - the thing is the difference between his 'I'm going to hospital' post and his rant meant he was there for about an hour, which is nothing for being abit achy - he should have gone to a pharmacist not an emergency room. Still managed to do the gig, so can't have been too bad.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:08 pm

Tet wrote:I'm curious as to what you think's broken here. That they refused to prioritise him over other patients seems pretty reasonable to me. I'd be extremely pissed off were I to be bumped to allow him to be seen sooner.

No interest in Portnoy or this specific case. But people thinking it's alright to wait well over four hours for treatment in A&E is acceptable is not the NHS that we should have. Maybe we should get our own house in order before helping others? Just a thought.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:16 pm

I used to love Portnoy, but in recent years either he's become, or he's revealed himself to be a bit of a twat. It's not so much his first tweet or anything, but his replied to his fans on it are just the actions of a diva.

Gandalf the Red wrote:Welcome to Broken Britain. I don't know how anyone can stand up for shoddy service. It's 2015 in a Western country for fucks sake not Central Africa. Maybe if they stopped wasting billions on foreign aid.....

To some extent I agree, the last time I was in hospital was over a year ago (I refuse to get anything checked up these days, I don't trust doctors at the best of times, for various reasons), but I was waiting for over 12 hours to be seen, the service is pathetic. It amazes me that people keep blaming government spending on foreign aid though. Not the billions pumped in to a failing bank system, the MP's wages and expenses, the huge military budget, into which foreign aid isn't even a drop in the ocean. The NHS does need a bigger budget, definitely, but foriegn aid isn't the first thing I'd cut to support it.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

ScrumpiesVeteran
Leather Rebel

Postby ScrumpiesVeteran » Sun Mar 08, 2015 6:23 pm

There is no indication that he had to wait for 4 hours, or anywhere near it. He simply was not put the front (or near to the front) of the queue, in accordance with his wishes.

He cannot have been so ill, he played the gig :eyes: Says it all really.

Too many people go to A&E without good cause. Sounds as though Portnoy would have been better going to a private physio or private doc. After all, he is not eligible for free treatment.
ScrumpiesVeteran: "a great big bloke that smells of apples" - NOT !!!!