The "I watch it ironically" Bloodstock Eurovision Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Danroush
Denim Demon

Re: The "I watch it ironically" Bloodstock Eurovision Thread

Postby Danroush » Sun May 24, 2015 12:03 am

I'm getting less interested in this contest, as all the finalists seem to get more and more similar each year, even less countries sing in their own language and no really "out there" performances at all in the final.
Freyja wrote:I never used to be able to fit a whole one in my mouth. But now I can with ease.

TheLotusEater193 wrote:WHY IS IT SO TINY?!

TheLotusEater193 wrote:To be fair 1 and a half minutes is really good if you've never done it before.

http://www.facebook.com/Danroush1

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Sun May 24, 2015 2:24 am

I think the good thing about Sweden winning was them clinching it from Russia (fucking loved that the presenters had to point out that it was an apolitical event), but it wasn't a memorable song.

If the UK were on a little later, they'd not be near the bottom again, but I think we're always gonna be dogged with the fact we're not part of some voting bloc. And people don't like ze Engleesh very much.

Latvia, Australia and Azerbaijan were my favourites.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Sun May 24, 2015 10:45 am

I'm happy Sweden won. Would have been happier for Belgium or Italy though, but the Swedish Eurovision machine is always strong.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Sun May 24, 2015 1:06 pm

Ok, after another listen, the Swedish one does have a bit of a hook. It's no Loreen or Robin Stjernberg though.

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Sun May 24, 2015 3:16 pm

It might not be one of the greats, but it was certainly a worthy winner. I loved the points algorithm that they came up with as well.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Sun May 24, 2015 6:44 pm

thehairyone wrote:I loved the points algorithm that they came up with as well.

Yes, this was a triumph on the producer's part. Really strung it out and kept up the suspense.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Mon May 25, 2015 7:50 pm

I loved when Russia were in the lead they had to be all "jsyk guise this is an apolitical event".

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Mon May 25, 2015 7:55 pm

NeglectedField wrote:I loved when Russia were in the lead they had to be all "jsyk guise this is an apolitical event".

Because the booing in the arena was deafening. We didn't hear it because the EBU put a load of canned applause and cheering over the sound coming from the arena.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon May 25, 2015 7:56 pm

I did enjoy the huge empathizes on "building bridges" then the live feed kept screwing up :lol:

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:16 pm

Well that's us definitely not winning this year. Nate Simpson's one is the least shit but still has crappy lyrics and also being mixed race the Eastern Bloc won't like him. Also preparing for the panel votes to spite us because of Brexit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38718362

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:39 pm

So nothing's changed then. :lol:

Until they realise that the only way to win is to do something that the Europeans like then they've got no chance. I just think that the people in charge haven't got a clue.

So do what other countries that have no chance do. Take the piss and have a bit of fun.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:43 pm

Holy shit this is an old thread.

I'm genuinely impressed with this year's selection. Nothing to trouble the big hitters, but just like last year, you can't say the UK didn't have a decent song. Well done, Beeb.

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:52 am

I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I came across a scathing article from The Independent, basically saying that all of our prospective songs were trash this year.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:45 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:I haven't had a chance to listen yet, but I came across a scathing article from The Independent, basically saying that all of our prospective songs were trash this year.

To be fair all you need to is change the date, the artists and the song names and you can just rehash the same article every year :lol:

Does anybody actually care that we never win? I don't think I've ever met someone who actually cares about Eurovision beyond having something else to talk about for a few days

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:59 pm

houston4044 wrote:Does anybody actually care that we never win? I don't think I've ever met someone who actually cares about Eurovision beyond having something else to talk about for a few days

I am unironically a massive Eurovision fan. It fascinates me to a ridiculous degree and I even watch the selection shows of other countries online when they're broadcast. I don't give a shit about how well the UK does at all. :lol: