Should Wales be on the flag?

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)

From the list in the first post, choose the best flag for the UK

1) Keep the current design (Wales not represented)
69%
2) Partial green background to represent Wales
No votes
3) Full green background to represent Wales
No votes
4) Partial black background to represent Wales
23%
5) Full black background to represent Wales
8%
6) Yellow cross outline & black background to rep. Wales
No votes
7) Red cross on white saltire (Wales and Northern Ireland not represented)
No votes

Total votes: 13

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon

Re: Should Wales be on the flag?

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:56 pm

Okay you intrigued me. I had to do a mock up in MS Paint. Orange and green need no explaining, and all 6 colours also have some association with one of the 6 county crests, county football/hurling sporting colours, some sort of cultural institution or the national soccer/provincial rugby team.

Plus, it kinda looks like a rainbow at first glance so the DUP won't like it. But it has orange on it so fuck em.
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Sep 10, 2015 5:26 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Not been a "British" monarch since at least 827. Even the Scottish ones (James and Charles) were mainly of European descent.

I'm curious about your choice of date there. What happened in 827? It seems to have been a largely uneventful year as far as I can tell. And indeed I'm curious about your definition of "British".

Also, yes, in an ideal world Wales should probably be represented on the flag (although I understand the reasons why it's not). However, should we alter the current flag to do that? No.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Sep 10, 2015 7:31 pm

Tet wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:Not been a "British" monarch since at least 827. Even the Scottish ones (James and Charles) were mainly of European descent.

I'm curious about your choice of date there. What happened in 827? It seems to have been a largely uneventful year as far as I can tell. And indeed I'm curious about your definition of "British".

827 was the earliest date of English Monarchs in the encyclopedia that I had to hand (an old Pears one). Previous to that they were fragmented into places like Wessex, Mercia, etc. Egbert 827 - 839 was deemed to be the first king of England (Mercia and Wessex merged in 829). But the dates do seem a little bit fluid. Probably Bede's fault as his work is full of inaccuracies.

I used "British" to differentiate between the Britons (Celts) and the Angles/ Saxons/ Danes/ Normans and other European rulers such as the Plantagenets and Hanoverians. As well as royals marriaging into the Royal Family from countries such as France, Spain and Holland.

Many think wrongly that the Tudors were British, they were of Norman and Plantagenet descent. The Tudors were descended from Edward. Likewise James 1st was desended from Henry VII and any Scottish blood was probably miniscule due to the amount of inter-marrying with European royal families.

Not my area of expertise though. All this happened thousands of years after the stuff that I studied. Most of which is now forgotten on purpose. :B
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:11 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:827 was the earliest date of English Monarchs in the encyclopedia that I had to hand (an old Pears one). Previous to that they were fragmented into places like Wessex, Mercia, etc. Egbert 827 - 839 was deemed to be the first king of England (Mercia and Wessex merged in 829).

That's possibly overstating things a bit. Egbert defeated Wiglaf in 829 and was claimed in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle to be ruler of Britain. But it was tenuous at best, and Wiglaf reclaimed Mercia the following year. Æthelstan is generally considered to be the first king of England, but that wasn't until a century later when he conquered York in 927.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:12 pm

This is the only chance we will get to put a dragon on our flag. We have to take it.

Full Rhapsody shit. With fire.
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:54 pm

Ideally yes, but at this point when the union is in flux/uncertain future it seems pointless to change it now to only change it again in the near future.

Is this something a lot of Welsh people want? Or is just a case of a loud minority/people saying Welsh people need this even though they haven't asked for it?

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:11 pm

I lived in Wales for 4 years and didn't come across anyone who gave a shit about not being on the flag.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:14 pm

The Welsh would prefer a sheep to a dragon. :P
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:40 pm

Tet wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:827 was the earliest date of English Monarchs in the encyclopedia that I had to hand (an old Pears one). Previous to that they were fragmented into places like Wessex, Mercia, etc. Egbert 827 - 839 was deemed to be the first king of England (Mercia and Wessex merged in 829).

That's possibly overstating things a bit. Egbert defeated Wiglaf in 829 and was claimed in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle to be ruler of Britain. But it was tenuous at best, and Wiglaf reclaimed Mercia the following year. Æthelstan is generally considered to be the first king of England, but that wasn't until a century later when he conquered York in 927.
It was only when the Danish Knut became king in 1016 that the AngloSaxon kingdoms were finally united.

keera_envenomed wrote:I lived in Wales for 4 years and didn't come across anyone who gave a shit about not being on the flag.
How many did you ask?
Last edited by Metalchemyst on Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Tue Sep 15, 2015 4:43 pm

Based on Matty's suggestion (so we'll have joint copyright on it):

DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:01 am

Metalchemyst wrote:
keera_envenomed wrote:I lived in Wales for 4 years and didn't come across anyone who gave a shit about not being on the flag.

How many did you ask?

The Welsh talk a lot. If they care, you damn well know about it!
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:56 am

I've never really thought to ask, but none of them seem annoyed enough to bring it up in the 10+ years I've been here.

I've never known anyone to be that into flags really.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:51 am

I was in Wales the other week. I met more Poles and Liverpudlians than Welsh. :lol: