EU Referendum and Afterwards

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)

Will Scotland vote to leave the UK before the General Election of 2020?

Yes
53%
No
47%

Total votes: 17

Volga2112
Lowly Peon

Re: EU Referendum and Afterwards

Postby Volga2112 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:59 pm

Hell, I'm not even sure the UK will actually leave the EU before the next General Election, or even before the one after that. Why wouldn't they? Because of low-profile yet important economic factors. For example, this : https://tranio.com/articles/londons-post-brexit-property-market-a-boon-for-foreign-investors_5263/. The announcement of the Brexit and the pound's huge dip allowed, for example, lots of real estate in London and in the UK in general to be bought by foreign individual and companies. So, the economic authorities are debating between the short term profits of Brexit (cheaper pound = more money coming in because people are buying) or the long term profits of opposing it (less risk for the pound, more overall stability) ; and the people being divided between supporting British independence or more ties with the UK won't change this.

And if Brexit advances at a super slow speed, I don't see Scottish independence going any further than what's already been done.

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:52 pm

I don't see the Govnernment giving Scotland permission before the next GA tbh.

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Mon Aug 20, 2018 6:56 pm

http://whatscotlandthinks.org/questions ... w-ask#line

There's a small but stubborn % of Scots who want to stay put, and I don't see that changing as long as Brexit is not a disaster. A second indy ref. would be pointless anyway until the dust as settled.
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:59 pm

Ah time to revive an ageing thread with my two cents.

So the whole second independence referendum thing, probably shouldn't have been pushed as aggressively as it was but in the same instance if the SNP hadn't mentioned it as a possibility they could have been accused of not acting on their new manifesto. However, the amount of referendums and snap elections recently has given everyone election fatigue.

I think that any serious talks about independence will wait until after we've left and the entire country knows the lay of the land. Now it should be once in a generation thing but the fact remains a serious contention for staying has been removed and the majority of Scotland voted remain but are being dragged kicking and screaming.

I wouldn't say have another Brexit vote, the stipulations were all made prior and haven't changed, I mean it's a fucking shit show but it's all going ahead. Scotland aren't being allowed a seat at the negotiating table, nor are N. Ireland and Wales. Well Ireland are but they're being represented by a party fuelled by more hate than finding out your Greggs sausage roll is baltic.

Fucking politics man, it's all a load of old bollocks.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Wed Oct 03, 2018 1:36 pm

trouble with politics is NONE of them have got any common sense....the politician has a mindset which should preclude him/her from being anywhere near power over people.....the people with true intelligence would never dream of being politicians...

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 4:53 pm

Bisset wrote:
I wouldn't say have another Brexit vote, the stipulations were all made prior and haven't changed, I mean it's a fucking shit show

I would, and I voted leave.

As for the stipulation that it was "once in a lifetime/betray will of the people" that's a load of old BS, politicians of all parties go back on what they've "got a mandate for" all the damn time; rather than deciding to hold a promise for once, no one wants to be the one to pull the trigger and "betray" the voters and rather dance and dare the other to do it for their own benefit rather than hold a promise.

If anything, the shit show has made me realize for it's flaws I'd rather be in than out the EU, can you imagine the utter cretins we have as MP's being accountable for everything rather than devolving some of it to Brussels as we do now? We'd be up the creek faster than Bojo chasing his PM aspirations.

That said, if Leave won another referendum then I'd accept that as final. The way "will of the people" has been thrown around is almost a mockery of the term, so far all we've got is factionalism representing their own interests rather than the "will of the people". Unless voting leave meant comparing the EU to the USSR then it's not the "will" is it?

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:40 pm

When we leave (probably) the EU, my hope is that, since we will no longer be able to blame problems on them, we will examine our system's faults and make the necessary changes.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:43 am

Metalchemyst wrote:When we leave (probably) the EU, my hope is that, since we will no longer be able to blame problems on them, we will examine our system's faults and make the necessary changes.

(EU opinions aside) It's a nice hope but I have my doubts, whoever is in government will carry on paving over the cracks and blaming each other when they can. When was the last time a non-EU system fault properly addressed and solved?

The one that immediately springs to mind was the voting referendum from the other year, that just immediately fell into a us vs them narrative rather than the merits of either system judged against each other.

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:03 pm

Most of the comments on here are against Scottish independence:

https://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/ ... -1-4811754

tmcgoay
Consort of the Beast

Postby tmcgoay » Mon May 27, 2019 3:00 pm

And now we have the MEPs voted for last week and the results announced last night
BOA '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `18, '19, '21
Beermageddon '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `17, `18, '19, '21
SRS '12
EMFA '20

http://www.beermageddon.co.uk/

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Mon May 27, 2019 8:33 pm

^ I didn't bother voting - an over-hyped election which solves nothing.

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Mon May 27, 2019 11:26 pm

setting up this total waste of time EU elections cost US £150 million- the turnout was 50.5% (for the original referendum it was 72%)

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue May 28, 2019 8:25 am

The turnout was actually 36.9%. Which is 35% lower than the referendum. Can't say I'm surprised though - EU elections have always been met with somewhat of a collective shrug from most of the electorate as most people couldn't name their incumbent MEP or even know what they actually do.

I voted but did feel it was rather pointless. On the assumption that we will have left the EU before the end of the year, all of those elected to MEP positions will be out of a job in about 6 months. And despite whatever fantasy land ol' Nige is living in, none of the MEPs will have a say in when or how we leave which to me renders this whole exercise somewhat redundant.

As many people seem to be keen on dividing up the vote share between leave and remain parties, I did read some rough analysis of this prior to Northern Ireland's declaration. Obviously any analysis is made difficult by the fact that it's almost impossible to know how all Tory and Labour voters feel about the EU given how split the parties themselves are. On the basis that the SNP and Labour vote was 2/3 remain and 1/3 leave (for each) and the Tory vote was 1/3 remain and 2/3 leave, then the total vote share among all parties between leave and remain actually worked out almost 50/50.

So, in summary, we're still no fucking closer to any sort of certainty. What a waste of time.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Tue May 28, 2019 5:36 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:
As many people seem to be keen on dividing up the vote share between leave and remain parties, I did read some rough analysis of this prior to Northern Ireland's declaration. Obviously any analysis is made difficult by the fact that it's almost impossible to know how all Tory and Labour voters feel about the EU given how split the parties themselves are. On the basis that the SNP and Labour vote was 2/3 remain and 1/3 leave (for each) and the Tory vote was 1/3 remain and 2/3 leave, then the total vote share among all parties between leave and remain actually worked out almost 50/50.

Lord Ashcroft (not the most unbiast of sources I know) did release a horrific looking graph which gives a loose break down of where Labour and Tories roughly went; it's on the interwebs but it was basically most Tories went BP with like 20% going to Libs/Greens and Labour it was the reverse

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Tue May 28, 2019 6:58 pm

Oh yes- the turnout over the whole EU was 50%. 36.9% is poor...although I heard several people say that they had made their feelings known in 2016