Wacken ban bags, BOA seem to be considering it?

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
User avatar
keera_envenomed
Denim Demon
Posts: 7717
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: Brizzle

Re: Wacken ban bags, BOA seem to be considering it?

Postby keera_envenomed » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:59 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I thought it was always full of political correct morons personally. :lol:

Or do people forget we've had threads calling for bands to be banned from the festival because they were offensive in someway? Or calling for bands and gigs to be boycotted because of their political views.

Hardly a sign of being open minded.


I assume you mean that thread about Emperor a few years back. As far as I remember, the idea of banning them because of what Faust had done was widely rejected and I don't think the OP was a regular former either.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5018
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Wacken ban bags, BOA seem to be considering it?

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:11 pm

I know. He was the one that got me banned. :lol:

A fair few agreed with him though. But we always seemed to get a few strange ones appearing before and after the festival. Maybe the "sign up" thing has got rid of most of those types.

I can't see many "right leaning" people on here though. You just need to look at the politics thread. Most of them like Corbyn and voted to remain in the recent poles.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
V-Man
Paster of Muppets
Posts: 1573
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:48 pm

Re: Wacken ban bags, BOA seem to be considering it?

Postby V-Man » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:26 pm

I'm not 100% sure about the everybody loves Corbyn sentiment but you might be right that the bigoted idiots are still in the minority here. The problem is that they are always the ones screaming loudest and most frequently so it offsets the noise the in room.
I used to have a link to a social networking site here but these days you all probably already know who I am.

User avatar
Brendancoles
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 646
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:37 pm
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Wacken ban bags, BOA seem to be considering it?

Postby Brendancoles » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:11 pm

Is this a ban on backpacks in the arena or the entire festival? Arena - fine as I've never brought one in before anyway. If it's for the entire festival then that provides stupid amounts of upheaval to try and transport belongings. I have no problem waiting a little longer in queues if it abates peoples fears.

User avatar
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon
Posts: 12243
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:48 pm
Location: Hellfast, Northern Fireland

Re: Wacken ban bags, BOA seem to be considering it?

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:13 pm

Just on backpacks being brought into the arena Brendan.

V-Man wrote:It genuinely surprises me that there are so many heavily right leaning people on here who think the government are trying to covertly introduce elements of fundamental Islam into our law system and society, that's chemtrails tin-foil-hat wearing levels of stupidity.


You're surprised that sometimes Heavy Metal fans might not be supporters of religious law? Really?
Image
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

User avatar
onona
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 712
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:57 pm
Location: Hertfordshire

Re: Wacken ban bags, BOA seem to be considering it?

Postby onona » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:21 pm

Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:You're surprised that sometimes Heavy Metal fans might not be supporters of religious law? Really?


That's not what he said. He said he's surprised that there are people who actually believe that elements of fundamental religion are being covertly introduced into European law. Perhaps you threw out your comprehension skills along with your sense of reason.

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5018
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Wacken ban bags, BOA seem to be considering it?

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:39 pm

Brendancoles wrote:Is this a ban on backpacks in the arena or the entire festival? Arena - fine as I've never brought one in before anyway. If it's for the entire festival then that provides stupid amounts of upheaval to try and transport belongings. I have no problem waiting a little longer in queues if it abates peoples fears.


It's only being considered. I reckon they'll be watching what happens at Wacken before implementing any ban.

But it will almost certainly involve checking any bags going into the arena. They already do one going into the site anyway, but they'll probably be a bit more thorough than previously.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
Slev
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2085
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:38 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: Wacken ban bags, BOA seem to be considering it?

Postby Slev » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:48 pm

Realistically, these searches are only going to stop the more "casual" terrorist.

Someone with a bit of planning and common sense could easily circumvent this.

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5018
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Wacken ban bags, BOA seem to be considering it?

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:49 pm

onona wrote:
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:You're surprised that sometimes Heavy Metal fans might not be supporters of religious law? Really?


That's not what he said. He said he's surprised that there are people who actually believe that elements of fundamental religion are being covertly introduced into European law. Perhaps you threw out your comprehension skills along with your sense of reason.


Come on. It's well known fact that certain politicians have said that introducing Sharia Law is the way to go to reducing racial tensions. Including introducing women only carriages on trains because Muslims don't like women and men being together.

They should be abiding by our laws not the other way round. If they don't like it, tough.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer
Denim Demon
Posts: 12243
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:48 pm
Location: Hellfast, Northern Fireland

Re: Wacken ban bags, BOA seem to be considering it?

Postby Matty_the_Emo_Slayer » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:51 pm

onona wrote:
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:You're surprised that sometimes Heavy Metal fans might not be supporters of religious law? Really?


That's not what he said. He said he's surprised that there are people who actually believe that elements of fundamental religion are being covertly introduced into European law. Perhaps you threw out your comprehension skills along with your sense of reason.


I never said "covertly", because as Gandalf says the Islamist sympathasing from some in power is pretty overt. All I did was made a prediction about what may be next on the appeasement agenda from the centre-left on the continent.

Also, despite Theresa May's claims that "There is only one rule of law in our country, which provides rights and security for every citizen" the very fact her review into domestic Sharia law courts is even happening proves her wrong. Allowing religious courts to hear divorce and domestic abuse cases is an aberration against natural justice, even without taking into account the position of women in that religion.

I'm happy to let this go back to the discussion on festival security. But please, if you're going to continue this current argument reply to my points and not just with ad hominems.
Image
Upcoming Gigs
Aug 25|Bangor|PiL+Undertones+XSLF+Outcasts
Sept 7|B'fast|Rose Tattoo+Girlschool
Sept 15|Dub|Cruachan+Skyclad+Waylander
Sept 27|B'fast|RBOTN+Midnight Force
Oct 10|B'fast|Enslaved+High On Fire

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5018
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Wacken ban bags, BOA seem to be considering it?

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:55 pm

Slev wrote:Realistically, these searches are only going to stop the more "casual" terrorist.

Someone with a bit of planning and common sense could easily circumvent this.


As we've already pointed out they aren't exactly the sharpest tool in the box. If they had any planning or common sense then they wouldn't be stabbing people in London or driving vans at people.

So you've got to prepare for the type of attack that they are most likely to commit, which is a small fertiliser bomb or knife attack.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
Slev
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2085
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:38 pm
Location: Manchester
Contact:

Re: Wacken ban bags, BOA seem to be considering it?

Postby Slev » Thu Aug 04, 2016 3:57 pm

Women-only carriage proposals are not just to do with Sharia Law, but also to provide safe travel arangements given the harassment women typically face. Like Corbyn, I'm not sure that's the way forward, but is an intresting proposal, and think it worthwhile discussing.

Most proposals for Sharia are to allow it's use in the resolution of civil matters where all parties agree, and existing laws are not breached.

Further, some parts of Sharia Law are desirable (banning excessive proft margins for example), and some are not. As with any body of thought, it can have good and bad bits.

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5018
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Wacken ban bags, BOA seem to be considering it?

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:23 pm

Slev wrote:Women-only carriage proposals are not just to do with Sharia Law, but also to provide safe travel arangements given the harassment women typically face. Like Corbyn, I'm not sure that's the way forward, but is an intresting proposal, and think it worthwhile discussing.

Most proposals for Sharia are to allow it's use in the resolution of civil matters where all parties agree, and existing laws are not breached.

Further, some parts of Sharia Law are desirable (banning excessive proft margins for example), and some are not. As with any body of thought, it can have good and bad bits.


Nope. The were quite rightly banned after there had been a number of high profile murders in them, even though they were always next to the guard compartment. Hardly safer for women.

Also the feminists in the 1960s and 1970s objected to them. And we know they are always right. ;)

Notice that the only countries that have them are ones with extremely prejudiced views on women and human rights in general.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women-only_passenger_car
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

User avatar
Fjar
Denim Demon
Posts: 10174
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:22 pm
Location: Alfreton, Derbyshire
Contact:

Re: Wacken ban bags, BOA seem to be considering it?

Postby Fjar » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:26 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Including introducing women only carriages on trains because Muslims don't like women and men being together.


Yeah, that's definitely the reason. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Missed Gandalf's post through the creeping red mist. The very page you linked to lists SEVERAL non-Muslim countries that have used and STILL USE women-only transport. What were you trying to prove with that?
Image
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

User avatar
Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon
Posts: 5018
Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:38 pm

Re: Wacken ban bags, BOA seem to be considering it?

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Aug 04, 2016 4:49 pm

Fjar wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:Including introducing women only carriages on trains because Muslims don't like women and men being together.


Yeah, that's definitely the reason. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Missed Gandalf's post through the creeping red mist. The very page you linked to lists SEVERAL non-Muslim countries that have used and STILL USE women-only transport. What were you trying to prove with that?


Apart from people should read before commenting? :P

Gandalf the Red wrote:Notice that the only countries that have them are ones with extremely prejudiced views on women and human rights in general.


I never mentioned Muslims in that post. The Orientals and Latinos are hardly the best behaved around women, are they?

The only other Western country to have toyed with the idea was Germany, the reason is that Muslims go around groping women, as has been highlighted in the press recently. New Year in Cologne being an example.

Surely it is better to educate and punish the perpetrators rather than end up with segregation by the back door, which is exactly what the Muslim extremists want. What next? Making women sit at the back of the bus?

We all know the real reasons Corbyn supports it and that's not because he supports women's safety.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp