Non-Metal Music Chat

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
eyesore
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Non-Metal Music Chat

Postby eyesore » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:08 pm

jwh20 wrote:love love love them, one of the best bands I've ever seen live!

ive seen them 7 times: twice in london, twice in paris + brussels, utrecht and warsaw.
ive seen lisa solo and brendan solo in london too.

jwh20 wrote:Have you heard Farscape with Lisa and Klaus Schulze?

didnt really like it. i dont think i actually managed to give that album one full listen.
anything lisa's put out in 21st century is very hit and miss...miss mostly. her decline started with the release of the gladiator, the soundtrack to which she contributed.

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:21 pm

Caro Emerald. She's such infectiously good fun to listen to. Tickets for the Roundhouse show at the end of April are in my hand.

some_thing_wild
Paster of Muppets

Postby some_thing_wild » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:22 am

Just got tix for Gorillaz in Margate. Anyone else on this?

jwh20
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby jwh20 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:23 am

eyesore wrote:
jwh20 wrote:love love love them, one of the best bands I've ever seen live!

ive seen them 7 times: twice in london, twice in paris + brussels, utrecht and warsaw.
ive seen lisa solo and brendan solo in london too.

jwh20 wrote:Have you heard Farscape with Lisa and Klaus Schulze?

didnt really like it. i dont think i actually managed to give that album one full listen.
anything lisa's put out in 21st century is very hit and miss...miss mostly. her decline started with the release of the gladiator, the soundtrack to which she contributed.

I've only seem them the once, at the Roundhouse in, I want to say 2013? Blown away by how good Brendan sounds live.

I think I mentioned on the first page I like krautrock, so a 150 minutes of her warbling over chilled out electronica is great for me. Listen to that album, or at least a few tracks of it fairly frequently.

Besides DCD perhaps the only other one I listen to regularly is Departum with Marcelo De Francisi (sp?), always loved that album, but the other collabs or solo material either never struck a chord with me, or I've ignored for said reason.

I've been meaning to listen to Brendan for years, but never gotten around to his solo material. BTW I think Anastasis is one of the best comeback albums I've ever heard, I hope it isn't a one off.

jwh20
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby jwh20 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:02 am

Slowdive new album coming out 5th May, not been this excited for a new album for a long while!

Surprise show announced yesterday for today, managed to get a ticket and see my one for Mayhem down the road. I've never felt so untrve (but will see them at LOTL Saturday)

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue May 30, 2017 3:14 pm

I listen to more non metal stuff than I do metal nowadays, particularly singer-songwriter stuff. Most of my metal listening is done if I'm out running, sat at home I seem to just like chilling out. Middle age for you! Looking at my lastfm last 6 months, the only metal bands in it are Sabbath, Slayer and Maiden (my all time top 3 so they're never off the playlist!), Kreator, Testament, Opeth and Dark Tranquillity (all on the back of recent releases).

The other 13 are Bob Dylan, Father John Misty, Leonard Cohen, Tori Amos, Nick Cave, Laura Marling, PJ Harvey, Bat for Lashes, David Bowie, The Cure, Blondie, St. Vincent and Frank Turner.

Father John Misty is my current obsession, sounds like a depressed Elton John.

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:43 pm

For misery surely it's the late John Martyn....my oh loves him droning on and on and on and on.....
When I'm not listening to metal (usually when there are rellies in the car) it's Ry Cooder- Into the Purple Valley, Steely Dan, Country Joe, EARLY Pink Floyd (before DSOTM)