Non-Metal Music Chat

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Non-Metal Music Chat

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:50 pm

I thought it'd be nice to have a thread to chat about other kinds of music (didn't seem right to do it in the Metal sub-forum).

What (non-metal) have you been listening to of late?

I've been tentatively dabbling in jazz and minimalism, thanks to a friend of mine who is pretty into the stuff. He threw together playlist for me as a sort of introduction to different artists and... I enjoyed the majority of it.

The sorts of artists he included, that I really dug, were: The Necks, Don Cherry, Miles Davis, Eric Dolphy, Duke Ellington, Mammal Hands, Mahavishnu orchestra, Charles Mingus, Matthew Shipp Trio, Colin Stetson, Kamasi Washginton and Ornette Coleman.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Non-Metal Music Chat

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:30 pm

I like both kinds. Heavy and Metal.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:59 pm

The only non-metal things I've listened to of late have been:

Ultravox (obviously!)
Dyonisis
Pretentious, Moi?
Manuskript
Rhombus

Dyonisis describe themselves as Ethereal Rock and the other three are all goth bands.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:14 pm

I've been rocking between the various -waves and a bit of folk.

Most recently completely addicted to Mishka Shubaly - How to make a bad situation worse

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh_F_vRyLyQ

It's sometimes funny, sometimes depressing album about being an alcoholic touring singer.

NeglectedField
Denim Demon

Postby NeglectedField » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:54 pm

Le Cassette's Left to Our Own Devices. Loving it so much it's making me sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzJmFt4iKK8

A bit of Ralph Vaughan Williams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0U6sWqfrnTs

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:33 am

Non-metal chat? So that Avenged Sevenfold eh? :eyes:

Really into Turnover's Peripheral Vision at the moment, never been a fan of this kind of music before but something about it has me hooked.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Wed Feb 22, 2017 3:27 pm

I listen to a lot of film and game soundtracks (Skyrim and Destiny are on a contant loop) but otherwise there's the Piano Guys, Lindsey Stirling and Ludovico Einaudi.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

jwh20
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby jwh20 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:41 pm

I'm really into ambient and drone. Lately I've been listening to Draugurinn a lot, and trying and failing to find any ritual ambient that comes close to that sort of thing, a lot of stuff resulting from searching for it having more of a somewhat cheesy oriental/Vedic vibe than a dark Nordic one. I went to see her in Stockholm last year (Forndom and Wardurna were nice bonuses) and she was fantastic, so on the off chance anyone has any recommendations...

I've really enjoyed the new albums from Eno, Basinski, Lawrence English and Cetieu, and I didn't remember to listen to Claire Singer's Solas after seeing her support Stars of the Lid in September time until this year, so it's been a good one on the ambient/drone front so far.

I had a huge Tangerine Dream binge around Christmas, I only had Rubycon on vinyl and ended up buying Electronic Meditation, Atem, Alpha Centurai and Zeit on vinyl, as well as both CD boxsets for their Virgin Records Years, and the one for Froese's solo career - loads of albums and not gotten through them all yet.

I'm really hyped about the Slowdive album as well, I named my boring blog after the way their guitars sound.

And have a controversial one. Maybe it's just because I played TDSOTM, WHYW and The Wall to death in my teenage years but I listen to The Final Cut ten times more than any other Floyd album these days.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:11 pm

I've been listening to a lot of Thin Lizzy lately, don't know why but in the last year i've been getting into a lot of their less popular material. The first half of Renegade is up there with their best, Chinatown is overlooked and Vagabond is pretty much their best album until Jailbreak. Still not a big fan of Nightlife though.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:26 pm

houston4044 wrote:I've been listening to a lot of Thin Lizzy lately, don't know why but in the last year i've been getting into a lot of their less popular material. The first half of Renegade is up there with their best, Chinatown is overlooked and Vagabond is pretty much their best album until Jailbreak. Still not a big fan of Nightlife though.

I thought this was the NON Metal thread.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:21 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
houston4044 wrote:I've been listening to a lot of Thin Lizzy lately, don't know why but in the last year i've been getting into a lot of their less popular material. The first half of Renegade is up there with their best, Chinatown is overlooked and Vagabond is pretty much their best album until Jailbreak. Still not a big fan of Nightlife though.

I thought this was the NON Metal thread.

yes, that's why i'm discussing a ROCK band

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:27 pm

They dabbled in other genres, but they're Heavy Metal. Always have been, always will be.

It's like Heavy Metal didn't exist until Thrash and Death Metal and everything before was Rock music. Not so.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:They dabbled in other genres, but they're Heavy Metal. Always have been, always will be.

It's like Heavy Metal didn't exist until Thrash and Death Metal and everything before was Rock music. Not so.

Put Black Sabbath on next to Thin Lizzy and you can tell which one is the metal band and which one is the rock band. Only the Thunder and Lightning album and Angel of Death off Renegade would I consider metal, the rest is rock at it's heaviest. Hell, I wouldn't consider the first 3 albums rock at all, they're blues albums with Vagabonds edging towards a harder blues sound.

Any fans of Blackberry Smoke on here? Picked up a cheap copy of their new album the other week and it's re-ignited my interest in them

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:46 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:They dabbled in other genres, but they're Heavy Metal. Always have been, always will be.

Hmm - even with the heavy metal revisionism that tries to redefine metal to the exclusion of the Scorpions and UFO, I'd struggle to call Lizzy a metal band. They didn't 'dabble' in other genres, it was an integral part and even on albums with their more well known hard rockers, about half would be Van Morrison-y folk/RnB that lead to them being compared with Springsteen (the riff to Boys are Back is a brass riff in Kitty's Back).

Anyhow, non-metal stuff I've been listening to recently includes Ryan Adams (last couple of albums have had an 80s powerpop/AOR sound - opener on the new one soundslike he's going to break into Here I Go Again), Traffic (random purchase of one of those 5 albums for 9 quid packs that Sainsbury's inexplicably stock) and psyche rock of King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard, Yuri Gagarin, Earthlings? and Moon Duo.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:08 pm