Non-Metal Music Chat

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
someone else
Denim Demon

Re: Non-Metal Music Chat

Postby someone else » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:22 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I'll just leave this here.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Thin_Lizzy/1499

A poor justification as their inclusion policy in non-sensical - accepts Deep Purple but not Uriah Heep, doesn't accept ACDC or Whitesnake???

Listen to Running Back, King Vengeance, Romeo and Lonely Girl, Little Girl in Bloom, For Those Who Love to Live, Dancing in Moonlight, Wild One, She Knows and tell me that's a metal band - those types of songs make up most of Lizzy's output up to the late 70s, arguably T&L was the only heavy metal album they ever made, and that was a cash in, regardless of how much the dual leads was used by Maiden etc.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:46 pm

What I was really getting at is you can discuss bands like Thin Lizzy (and Blackberry Smoke for that matter) in the normal Heavy Metal section.

Isn't this thread for stuff that isn't remotely Metal or Rock related?
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:19 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I'll just leave this here.

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Thin_Lizzy/1499

Oh I'm sorry, I'm ok to discuss Hatebreed as they aren't a metal band according to the site but not okay to discuss Thin Lizzy...right...

Gandalf the Red wrote:What I was really getting at is you can discuss bands like Thin Lizzy (and Blackberry Smoke for that matter) in the normal Heavy Metal section.

Isn't this thread for stuff that isn't remotely Metal or Rock related?

When would a band like Blackberry smoke come up in the heavy metal section? They're a soft southern rock band aka not metal.

So rather than discuss non-metal bands we're now just debating where rock ends and metal starts...

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:37 pm

But isn't the point of the thread to discuss types of music that we wouldn't normally talk about and to recommend stuff?

I'm pretty sure that Hatebreed and Thin Lizzy have been discussed before. But if the limit of your "not Metal" is Southern Rock, Irish Rock/Metal and shouty music then it's nothing to do with me.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:50 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:But isn't the point of the thread to discuss types of music that we wouldn't normally talk about and to recommend stuff?

I'm pretty sure that Hatebreed and Thin Lizzy have been discussed before. But if the limit of your "not Metal" is Southern Rock, Irish Rock/Metal and shouty music then it's nothing to do with me.

Was more pointing out the fact that since you rely on Metal Archives to tell you what is and isn't metal rather than using your ears then shouty music isn't metal and Classic rock is but hey, each to their own.

But if we have to go a world away from anything remotely rock, any fans of Gerardo Oritz around?

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Feb 23, 2017 11:26 am

I know what is Heavy Metal and I guarantee that if you were around in the 1970s and 1980s then you would have heard Thin Lizzy being described as a Heavy Metal band. They played with Metal bands and most of their audience were Metalheads.

Getting back to the OP. Probably the only form of proper music that I hate with a vengeance is Jazz. Just can't stomach it. I especially dislike saxophones. :ugh:

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:53 pm

I listen to the greatest hits of the beach boys a lot. Thought I'd actually give pet sounds a listen though. It's one depressing album, no wonder it bombed at the time. Good listen though. I like that it's a musical documentation of Brian Wilson's mental state at that time.
I see the bad moon arising.

V-Man
Paster of Muppets

Postby V-Man » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:37 am

Gandalf do you actually do anything with your life besides lurking on here stirring up pointless, pedantic arguments with people who are just looking for an outlet to chat about things?

No, don't answer, I don't actually want to know about how to go to the corner shop every morning to get your daily mail, mutter under your breath about how you don't like the Indian bloke behind the counter then sit in your lounge grumbling about children that ride past on their scooters.
I used to have a link to a social networking site here but these days you all probably already know who I am.

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:21 pm

:lol:

Chvrches are my guilty pleasure, have been for a while!

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:25 pm

*grabs popcorn and some lube then waits*
I see the bad moon arising.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:09 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:Probably the only form of proper music that I hate with a vengeance is Jazz. Just can't stomach it.

Same here. Although I do admit my dislike of jazz is probably accentuated by the fact that my dad not only liked jazz, but liked the most extreme tuneless, dissonant jazz imaginable. For a long time, I was unaware that there were any other forms of jazz.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:14 pm

Tet wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:Probably the only form of proper music that I hate with a vengeance is Jazz. Just can't stomach it.

Same here. Although I do admit my dislike of jazz is probably accentuated by the fact that my dad not only liked jazz, but liked the most extreme tuneless, dissonant jazz imaginable. For a long time, I was unaware that there were any other forms of jazz.

Referring back to my original post, the friends who created the playlist did point out to me that there's vast array of sub-genres - ranging from dissonant, sort of walls of noise jazz / experimental, right through to the loungey stuff. The playlist he made me a was a mixture across the board, and I enjoyed more than half of it.

jwh20
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby jwh20 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:23 pm

I think that while not infallible with the hard rock/metal divide, the metal archives has probably the best way to differentiate between what they do and don't accept. If a band has released one full album that's unequivocally metal - i.e. Thunder and Lightning, Burn - (I haven't heard these, it's just what I've read in the past) they will be accepted, even if they haven't released any others. A band like Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Uriah Heap might have made a few heavy metal songs, but not a full albums worth.

Of course it isn't possible to have an objective standard for what is and isn't metal, but theirs is very good.

I wouldn't exclude discussion of these borderline bands on a thread like this - cant' really have something be both not metal enough for a metal thread and too metal for a non-metal thread.

I just have the two disc greatest hits and the Live and Dangerous album and I don't think there's a bad track across any of it, but not bothered listening to any of the full lengths beside the first years back which I didn't like. Always got the impression that they would be a greatest hits rather than an albums band, but not sure why. Same with GNR - AFD is a killer album, but never bothered with their others.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:45 am

I've been listening to a lot of Porcupine Tree recently, particularly Deadwing and In Absentia, but some of the live albums too. Other than that, I heartily recommend The Mechanisms if you're looking for something different -- they're a musical cabaret who take characters from mythology/children's stories/science fiction and set them in far off futuristic worlds. They have a few albums out: 'Once Upon a Time (In Space)' - a story about a mad king (Old King Cole) creating a clone army from his most fearsome warrior (Rose Red), while her sister (Snow White) leads a rebellion against him. 'Ulysses Dies At Dawn' - A tale about Ulysses, their troubled past with Poseidon Industries, an encounter with Heracles, Orpheus, Oedipus and Ariadne, and an elaborate scheme by Hades. 'High Noon Over Camelot' - The story of a railgun welding gunslinger called Arthur, who takes control over a large sector of an ancient space station with his Pendragon crew, only to be led on a mad quest by an old preacher called Galahad to retrieve an artifact known only as the grail. 'The Bifrost Incident' - An investigation by the New Midgard Transport Police into the reappearance of the Ratatoskr Express, a train designed to traverse worlds via the Bifrost, but which disappeared during it's maiden voyage over 80 years ago, along with the ruling elite of Asgard.

They have a few other songs, which mostly cover the band members personas. 'Gunpowder Tim vs. The Moon Kaiser' is a particularly good one. Check them out here: https://themechanisms.com/
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Jim » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:02 pm

Non-metal you say?

According to my last.fm, my last six months have included:

Paloma Faith
Puppini Sisters
Icona Pop
Lucky Chops
Lyre Les Temps
Electric Swing Orchestra
Meghan Trainor
Taylor Swift
Lemon Jelly
Scott Bradlee's Postmodern Jukebox

I seem to fucking love electro swing and do-wop. I'll blame Fallout 4 for that.
Who the hell reads anything in sigs these days, unless it's an animated gif?