Non-Metal Music Chat

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Non-Metal Music Chat

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:21 pm

V-Man wrote:Gandalf do you actually do anything with your life besides lurking on here stirring up pointless, pedantic arguments with people who are just looking for an outlet to chat about things?

No, don't answer, I don't actually want to know about how to go to the corner shop every morning to get your daily mail, mutter under your breath about how you don't like the Indian bloke behind the counter then sit in your lounge grumbling about children that ride past on their scooters.

Eh?

Now that is a pointless post. If you don't like mine you know what to do. There's an ignore button somewhere.

But I've probably done more with my life than most others. It's great to be judgemental about someone you don't even know. :rolleyes:

I just thought that Non Metal would include stuff that isn't remotely Metal or Rock N Roll. Yet even in the first few posts we are getting bands that are commonly seen as being Metal. There's a whole forum to discuss such things.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:50 pm

Off to see VNV Nation tonight. They are doing a three hour set from all their albums. Gonna be beautiful.
I see the bad moon arising.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:55 pm

My next few gigs have a lot of non metal stuff in there:
Drive by Truckers (Southern Rock)
Moon Duo (space/psyche rock)
Earthlings? (psyche rock with members of Goatsnake and QOTSA)
Dave Hause (Punky Springsteen type)
My Sleeping Karma/Colour Haze (Psyche rock)
Tony Allen (Afrobeat)

I don't mind some jazz, but draw the line at the more experimental stuff - but the 50s/60s stuff like Wayne Shorter, Dexter Gordon, Joe Henderson, Miles Davis (even some of his electric stuff), even some of the jazz-rock stuff like Mahavishnu Orchestra.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:50 am

someone else wrote:My next few gigs have a lot of non metal stuff in there:
Drive by Truckers (Southern Rock)
Moon Duo (space/psyche rock)
Earthlings? (psyche rock with members of Goatsnake and QOTSA)
Dave Hause (Punky Springsteen type)
My Sleeping Karma/Colour Haze (Psyche rock)
Tony Allen (Afrobeat)

I don't mind some jazz, but draw the line at the more experimental stuff - but the 50s/60s stuff like Wayne Shorter, Dexter Gordon, Joe Henderson, Miles Davis (even some of his electric stuff), even some of the jazz-rock stuff like Mahavishnu Orchestra.

I may have to check some of those guys out. I enjoyed the Miles Davis and Mahavishnu Orchestra tracks I heard.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:25 am

My dislike of Jazz came from growing up in the 1970s when quite a lot of it was still getting played on primetime TV and radio.

I can appreciate that many of them were very talented musicians, but if I hear Cleo Laine ever again I think I'll scream. :ugh:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:25 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:I can appreciate that many of them were very talented musicians, but if I hear Cleo Laine ever again I think I'll scream. :ugh:

Oh sweet jesus no :lol: My Mum and Dad took me to see Cleo Laine and Johnny Dankworth when I was young - horrid stuff, all the rough edges taken out and safe enough to be a musical interlude on the Wogan show or a skit on Morcombe and Wise - as black as morris dancing :lol:
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:13 pm

Today I'm introducing my two year old son to jeff wayne's war of the worlds.

mathewxentrix88
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:32 pm

Ghost wrote:Today I'm introducing my two year old son to jeff wayne's war of the worlds.

Fucking hell-good luck with that-i first heard it when i was about 10-shit myself!

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:14 pm

Funny I don't remember being scared of it as a kid and my parents played it all the time. When I say introduce him what I actually meant is I listen to it whilst he plays with his toys and ignores what I'm doing ha ha.

eyesore
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby eyesore » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:04 pm

Dead Can Dance - best band ever. No one ever has and no one ever will create anything better than them two.
And by extension - Lisa's solo output (first 2) and Brendan's too (the only 2).

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:08 am

Managed to find a ton of Bat for Lashes Cd's for £3 each, currently binge listening :lol:

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:30 pm

Ghost wrote:Off to see VNV Nation tonight. They are doing a three hour set from all their albums. Gonna be beautiful.

Nearly went to that but didn't bother in the end, like that band but find the vocals a bit bland and lifeless. As far as industrial/EBM goes, I'd rather listen to the more violent stuff like Suicide Commando, Leather Strip, Grendel, etc.

like Combichrist a lot too, but recently they've been trying too much to be a metal/rock band, and they were better when they just aggro-tech.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:05 pm

eyesore wrote:Dead Can Dance - best band ever. No one ever has and no one ever will create anything better than them two.

Ah I remember getting Within the realm of a dying son and The serpent's egg through tape trading in the mid nineties. Good times.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:08 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Ghost wrote:Off to see VNV Nation tonight. They are doing a three hour set from all their albums. Gonna be beautiful.

Nearly went to that but didn't bother in the end, like that band but find the vocals a bit bland and lifeless. As far as industrial/EBM goes, I'd rather listen to the more violent stuff like Suicide Commando, Leather Strip, Grendel, etc.

like Combichrist a lot too, but recently they've been trying too much to be a metal/rock band, and they were better when they just aggro-tech.

Yeah Ive been listening to all that stuff since Ultraviolence was releasing albums on Earache. They used to put on some fun gigs.

jwh20
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby jwh20 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:20 am

eyesore wrote:Dead Can Dance - best band ever. No one ever has and no one ever will create anything better than them two.

love love love them, one of the best bands I've ever seen live! Have you heard Farscape with Lisa and Klaus Schulze?