Coronavirus

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Coronavirus

Postby Ghost » Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:54 pm

So my plan is to avoid people for a couple of months and then try my hardest to catch it when it's warmer and hopefully less nasty.

So come summer I'm gonna kiss as many people as possible. I'll probably end up in prison for assault but at least I'm more likely to catch the virus in a crowded prison.
I see the bad moon arising.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Coronavirus

Postby houston4044 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:26 pm

hammerfest and hrh aor postponed due to coronavirus. Wonder how long until other events start to follow suit

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:27 pm

houston4044 wrote:hammerfest and hrh aor postponed due to coronavirus. Wonder how long until other events start to follow suit

Blimey didn't know that.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:28 pm

Ghost wrote:
houston4044 wrote:hammerfest and hrh aor postponed due to coronavirus. Wonder how long until other events start to follow suit

Blimey didn't know that.

sent an email today

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:52 pm

Ghost wrote:So my plan is to avoid people for a couple of months and then try my hardest to catch it when it's warmer and hopefully less nasty.

So come summer I'm gonna kiss as many people as possible. I'll probably end up in prison for assault but at least I'm more likely to catch the virus in a crowded prison.

Considering you reportedly don't get immunity after recovering from it once, I would advise against "trying" to get it at all. :P

I'm not too worried by this. At the end of the day, unless you are elderly and/or have pre-existing medical conditions, your likelihood of dying from this virus is less than 1%. Over 80s seem to have the worst survival rate (~15% mortality rate), and most of those are heavy smokers from China (so their respiratory system was already fucked).

The biggest threat is that supply chains break down, so supermarkets can't restock their shelves, and everyone starts panic buying.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:58 pm

I would suggest it's more down to logistics than anything else. Or bands threatening to pull out completely. Usually the Yanks (remember all the tours being cancelled after 9/11?)

Unless you are in the Far East or Italy there isn't currently any problems. You aren't even being told not to travel. The only restrictions are....

mainland China
Hong Kong
Macao
Cambodia
Iran
northern Italy
Japan
Laos
Malaysia
Myanmar
Singapore
South Korea
Taiwan
Thailand
Vietnam

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/travel-advi ... oronavirus

Great Yarmouth isn't on the list....
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:13 pm

WorMzy wrote:I'm not too worried by this. At the end of the day, unless you are elderly and/or have pre-existing medical conditions, your likelihood of dying from this virus is less than 1%. Over 80s seem to have the worst survival rate (~15% mortality rate), and most of those are heavy smokers from China (so their respiratory system was already fucked).

The biggest threat is that supply chains break down, so supermarkets can't restock their shelves, and everyone starts panic buying.

I guess most people, including me have elderly and young family and that's where the worry comes in.

Yeah, paracetamol and calpol has already sold out everywhere in my town.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Thu Mar 05, 2020 7:48 pm

https://www.loudersound.com/news/trivium-postpone-tour-due-to-coronavirus-as-hammerfest-and-hrh-aor-are-called-off?fbclid=IwAR3h5DEXYAhuUuNIVoBP6F72b7w228nzN2YSmP6sIh0Ob9xCGOjAetfYCLc

Agree with Ghost on this, although I'm not one of the high risk group I'm around a lot who are; have to consider them now it's starting to spread. Given it''s now started to get transmitted to/from people who haven't travelled abroad, you have to weigh out the risk.

That and given the hysteria, can imagine events will cancel as attendance is going to be hit (and if public transport does get reduced which is a small possibility).

Jay1993
Consort of the Beast

Postby Jay1993 » Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:02 am

Shame about HRH AOR and Hammerfest. I was really looking forward to both and have a couple of weeks booked off work for them. Still, I see where the organizers are coming from with bands traveling in from different parts of the world and the risk to older people etc. Apparently they'll be getting in touch with ticket holders towards the end of the month regarding a rescheduled date. My only question is whether or not it will be the same bands on the bill - I can't see it being very likely if said bands have heavy touring schedules. Hopefully we'll have the option of claiming a refund if we can't attend the rescheduled dates or the lineup changes completely...

At least I've still got the Grand Magus and Razor gigs to look forward to this month!

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:16 pm

I was looking forward to Hammerfest too- it just better not be rescheduled to Birmingham...

Black Wizard
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:41 pm

I have trips to Zurich, Gothenburg and Barcelona for concerts planned for May, June and July. Damn virus had better piss off.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:07 pm

Mike Portnoy put a response up regarding the cancellation of the Sons of Apollo dates - essentially saying that they will take a hit on this, but if they all get to Europe and dates are pulled by promoters etc they will lose a 6-figure sum so can't take the risk.

The problem with this (and most H&S stuff) is that, if preventative measures work, the spread is limited and everyone who's been inconvenienced go 'what as the point of that'. There's no parallel universe to compare action vs inaction.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Mon Mar 09, 2020 1:37 pm

i0th wrote:Vicky's been very bullish about the whole situation on Twitter

That quote could be applied to pretty much anything related to the festival - she hardly comes across as the most professional or diplomatic person in the world at the best of times.

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:13 pm

There could be a world shortage of bog roll and hand sanitiser if my area is anything to go by!

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Mar 12, 2020 12:36 pm

Looks like all English football matches gonna be behind closed doors very soon.

I care not about that, Hellfest is my concern.