Coronavirus

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Re: Coronavirus

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:16 am

All English football matches postponed until 3rd April:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/51867989

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:37 pm

Gatherings of over 500 to be banned from next weekend.

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:32 pm

Since the counting began, the new coronovirus has increased the normal number of deaths (1,643 per day) in the UK by about 0.9%, and that's assuming it was the main factor in all the deaths attributed to it.

The increase for Italy is, very approximately, 12.8%.
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:09 pm

Unfortunately our percentage will sky rocket after we've run out of ventilators.
I see the bad moon arising.

Black Wizard
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Black Wizard » Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:56 pm

Efforts are afoot to produce new ventilators though. Formula One teams have immense capabilities to build a lot of them fairly quickly, particularly Mclaren, Mercedes, Williams and Red Bull. All the F1 teams have fuck all to do right now too as the first part of the season has been wiped out so this should keep the engineers occupied.

I'd be pretty happy if I needed a ventilator and Mercedes F1 had made it. Not so much Williams though.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:08 pm

A friend of mine is a paramedic in London and is so scared from what he's seen from all the coronavirus cases he's picked up that he's decided to stay away from his wife and kids. Moved in a self contained annex on his parents house. His wife has bad asthma.
I see the bad moon arising.

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:39 pm

Black Wizard wrote:Efforts are afoot to produce new ventilators though. Formula One teams have immense capabilities to build a lot of them fairly quickly, particularly Mclaren, Mercedes, Williams and Red Bull. All the F1 teams have fuck all to do right now too as the first part of the season has been wiped out so this should keep the engineers occupied.

I'd be pretty happy if I needed a ventilator and Mercedes F1 had made it. Not so much Williams though.

Aye but the problem is that not enough people are heeding the warnings to stay indoors and avoid close contact to allow for the stock of ventilators to be in place first.

Now the real question is, will they press the drivers into delivering them? As long as Briatore isn't in charge of organizing the deliveries my driveway wall should remain intact....

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:53 pm

A more accurate estimate for Italy's raised death rate since the first one was recorded: 10.5%. It's now 1% for the UK. But some of those deaths would have occurred anyway, so those are inflated numbers.

This is peanuts compared to the Black Death which wiped out about 40% of all European populations in four years. But I do support a very cautious approach to it.
Last edited by Metalchemyst on Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:04 pm

houston4044 wrote:Now the real question is, will they press the drivers into delivering them? As long as Briatore isn't in charge of organizing the deliveries my driveway wall should remain intact....

Are you referring to Crashgate from the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix? :lol:

Aaaarrrrgggghhhh
I am the Law!

Postby Aaaarrrrgggghhhh » Tue Mar 24, 2020 10:42 am

Any questions, concerns or other thoughts. Let us know and we will get you answers from the team asap.

Stay safe all.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:17 pm

Metalchemyst wrote:Since the counting began, the new coronovirus has increased the normal number of deaths (1,643 per day) in the UK by about 0.9%, and that's assuming it was the main factor in all the deaths attributed to it.

One of the big issues in Italy is that most of the cases are focused in one area - Lombardy - it has about the same population as London. The fast spread is meaning not enough facilities, and deaths are one thing, but obviously people are being treated successfully but still need the volume of ICU spaces. My cousin married into an Italian family and a friend lost their dad as there wasn't enough ventilators. Germany seems to have better results but has more spaces in ICUs. A friend works in a hospital outside Manchester and they're full, and other depts. are cancelling activities to make space. Given what happened at the weekend, so a spike is likely.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

houston4044
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby houston4044 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:39 pm

Black Wizard wrote:
houston4044 wrote:Now the real question is, will they press the drivers into delivering them? As long as Briatore isn't in charge of organizing the deliveries my driveway wall should remain intact....

Are you referring to Crashgate from the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix? :lol:

I'm glad someone got the reference :lol:

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:03 pm

houston4044 wrote:I'm glad someone got the reference :lol:

I'm a bit of a Formula 1 nerd, so the next few months will be particularly frustrating for me. No live music and no Formula One! :x

I wouldn't worry too much about your wall though, unless you're planning on having a ventilator delivered straight to your door. Those things are expensive bro.

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Wed Mar 25, 2020 3:43 pm

someone else wrote:
Metalchemyst wrote:Since the counting began, the new coronovirus has increased the normal number of deaths (1,643 per day) in the UK by about 0.9%, and that's assuming it was the main factor in all the deaths attributed to it.

One of the big issues in Italy is that most of the cases are focused in one area - Lombardy - it has about the same population as London. The fast spread is meaning not enough facilities, and deaths are one thing, but obviously people are being treated successfully but still need the volume of ICU spaces. My cousin married into an Italian family and a friend lost their dad as there wasn't enough ventilators. Germany seems to have better results but has more spaces in ICUs. A friend works in a hospital outside Manchester and they're full, and other depts. are cancelling activities to make space. Given what happened at the weekend, so a spike is likely.
Yeah, fair point. The media should present the stats for regions as well as countries, and in percentage terms. China's an empire really.

Black Wizard

Postby Black Wizard » Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:04 pm

Boris and Till Lindemann have this now. Bloody hell.