Necessity of a Smart-Phone

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)

What's the most you'd pay for a smart-phone rather than just have an ordinary mobile phone?

I don't want one
13%
Up to £150
27%
Up to £200
13%
Up to £300
7%
Up to £400
No votes
Up to £500
No votes
More than £500
40%

Total votes: 15

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Necessity of a Smart-Phone

Postby Metalchemyst » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:44 pm

I wondered how essential people now feel these things are.
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Necessity of a Smart-Phone

Postby Ghost » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:02 pm

Over 500. I want the best phone available so I can make videos of my son growing up. A quality camera and a ton of memory so I don't have to keep clearing it all the time. I hardly use any apps really, it's all about the videos for me.
I see the bad moon arising.

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:47 am

Of course it depends what you mean by 'essential' but I do think a smart-phone is required in this day and age for many things and would potentially put you at a disadvantage if you didn't have one.

That said, I just upgraded my smart-phone and the total cost of the phone was only £130 and it does everything I want it to do. Wouldn't pay top of the range prices as most of the features that apparently warrant these high costs are features I usually couldn't care less about.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:14 am

I do like a bit of google maps on my phone. Looking back I can't fathom how I used to find places like gig venues before the internet :lol: . I guess I used to look at a map and write down the directions before I left. Or I used to actually have to talk to someone and ask for directions.......mental :lol: .
I see the bad moon arising.

henryburch4
Lowly Peon

Postby henryburch4 » Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:32 pm

i mean i would never spend loads normally just get my dads old phones and have some mystery cambodian phone i got out there atm , i mean i hardly ever use a phone for its phone function. more for maps , google , spotify ect ...would say camera but the camera on my phone atm ....nope never so awful

Methuen
Powermetal Child

Postby Methuen » Sat Mar 21, 2020 9:00 am

I've been using the same iPhone SE since 2016. Before that I had a positively antediluvian Blackberry.

Apple getting their knuckles slapped about software-forced obsolescence means that it's a perfectly capable bit of kit, is made of actual metal and glass, and has a headphone jack.

I'm sure I'll upgrade it in future, maybe, when the battery goes. Maybe.
Indoor 2005, 2006
BOA 2008, 2018, 2019

nihility00
Lowly Peon

Postby nihility00 » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:01 am

Phones have to get smarter because we the users get dumber, hence why people will pay stupid money for one. Accessability and stability for me, it makes self employment so much easier being able to find, compare and buy materials on the spot.
Fucking blow me.

Hiraeth
Lowly Peon

Postby Hiraeth » Mon Apr 27, 2020 1:27 pm

Depends, for my work it is essential I have a very capable smart phone and happily pay the money to have one. However, if I didn't need one for my work and just for keeping in contact with my family etc... I would probably still be on my Samsung S6 as that still does everything I need day to day.

Green Man III
Consort of the Beast

Postby Green Man III » Fri Sep 04, 2020 4:42 pm

nihility00 wrote:Phones have to get smarter because we the users get dumber, hence why people will pay stupid money for one.

All the more reason to keep our wits and avoid. I caved last year and took a 'hand me down' and I pay the absolute minimum, the equivalent of 6 pounds a month just to have the ability to make calls and send texts while out when meeting up with people.

Sure there's lots of things these little devices can do. Like a compass (but I own a compass), or the time (but I own a watch), or a camera (but I own a camera).
But I'm sure it's like a car for a lot of people (something I don't have); Once you have one, you can't imagine life without one. So I get it, you have a "smart" phone and now you can't imagine how you can find the nearest Costa without one.

Drachenfells1
Lowly Peon

Postby Drachenfells1 » Sat Sep 05, 2020 6:55 am

I don't even own a mobile phone, I hate talking on the phone, the wife has a samsung galaxy thing and is always on it though.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Sep 07, 2020 10:29 am

Drachenfells1 wrote:I don't even own a mobile phone, I hate talking on the phone, the wife has a samsung galaxy thing and is always on it though.

Considering what phones do these days, the talking time is a fairly minimal percentage of it's use.

A mobile phone is basically a much better version of your laptop these days.

gavdann
Leather Rebel

Postby gavdann » Mon Sep 07, 2020 1:46 pm

I've never actually paid for my own mobile, I've always been given one for work which I can use for personal.

My wife and kids are all Apple fans but I prefer Android. Got a Samsung Galaxy S9+. It's not the latest generation but I love it.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Mon Sep 07, 2020 2:02 pm

My first few Smart phones were HTCs, which were a good introduction.

My last couple have been Huaweis, which are freakin awesome.

Bizza
Paster of Muppets

Postby Bizza » Mon Sep 07, 2020 9:24 pm

bloodfiend wrote:My last couple have been Huaweis, which are freakin awesome.

Same, also got one of their tablets which is also great.

Shame they fell out with Google, I've got no idea what to go for when my upgrade is due in a few months. Don't fancy a phone without app store support.
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19, '21, '22, '23.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

i0th2
Warrior of Metal

Postby i0th2 » Tue Sep 08, 2020 8:19 am

Bizza wrote:
bloodfiend wrote:My last couple have been Huaweis, which are freakin awesome.

Same, also got one of their tablets which is also great.

Shame they fell out with Google, I've got no idea what to go for when my upgrade is due in a few months. Don't fancy a phone without app store support.

Loved my last Huawei but didn't stick with them due to the google mess around. On my first Motorola atm and not overly impressed.