Strategy Board Games

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Bagpuss66
Lowly Peon

Re: Strategy Board Games

Postby Bagpuss66 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 9:40 am

Gloomhaven is a brilliant one player game, expensive but well worth getting.
There is a new smaller game being released soon Jaws of the Lion if you dont fancy playing 100 scenarios!
The classic Twilight Imperium is a stunning game but you need at least four players with some experience to play it to it's potential.Its a real time killer 4-8hrs for a full game!
Arkham Horror card game is another excellent one player game and you can buy expansion cards.
I would also recommend Dune the re-released version.
That has a lot of double crossing and treachery!!

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:52 am

Haldamir319 wrote:Another good one is Betrayal at the House on the Hill. Starts as a co-op game and ends up being a 1 vs the rest.

I own this game but will probably sell it. I find the second act to be a bit fiddly and not keen on reading rules each time I play. I would give it more of a chance but my wife doesn't like it. I don't think thematic map games are really our thing, we prefer engine building economic games. If you like this though then I've heard Mansions of madness 2nd edition is good. So check that out.....make sure it's 2nd edition though.

The current games we are playing are:

Brass Birmingham - 9/10 - Great economic game, board is like a work of art and components are top class.
Terraforming Mars - 9/10 - Great engine building/economic game. Easier to learn than Brass. Just slightly let down by the quality of the components for the price you pay.
Pulsar 2849 - 8/10 - Lovely game where you fly a ship around a map. Uses a clever dice drafting mechanic.
Anachrony - 5/10 - This game is popular because it incorporates Time Travel into the theme. It sounds cool but I've found that you hardly use the mechanism in the game and it's mostly just a worker placement game.
I see the bad moon arising.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:56 am

Bagpuss66 wrote:Gloomhaven is a brilliant one player game, expensive but well worth getting.
There is a new smaller game being released soon Jaws of the Lion if you dont fancy playing 100 scenarios!
The classic Twilight Imperium is a stunning game but you need at least four players with some experience to play it to it's potential.Its a real time killer 4-8hrs for a full game!
Arkham Horror card game is another excellent one player game and you can buy expansion cards.
I would also recommend Dune the re-released version.
That has a lot of double crossing and treachery!!

Not sure I'd like Gloomhaven because I don't like dungeon crawler games. I'm guessing it's similar to Star Wars Imperial Assault, which I'll end up selling. Setting up these games takes too long for me.

There's a bunch of games I like the sound of but are just too long, like Twilight Imperium for example. Also Star Wars Rebellion. The longest game I have is Twilight Struggle which is 3 hours and we no longer play it.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:31 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:Horrified is definitely simpler than Pandemic, though it can depend which monsters you're playing (the mechanics to beat each are different).

As for Pandemic player roles, I believe in the rules it states you're meant to pick them at random. Have you managed to beat it on the hardest difficulty setting yet? We managed a victory or two on medium. On the hardest setting we got to 1 turn from doing it, but ran out of cards. You really have to play virtually every move many moves in advance though.

We've played it on the normal and medium settings so far, managed to beat it on both, although it normally beats us. On both settings the outcome is similar, ie it starts out calm then goes mental at the end.

Woth 2 people, the best roles are the one where you can share more easily (Researcher I think), and the one that allows you to move people around the board, you pretty much guaranteed a win if you get those 2. Played it with 4 players a couple of times, which a lot more fun and frantic than with 2, hopefully might do the full 6 player some time.

I'm not sure whether it Ghost Stories or Horrified I want to get, they both look similar :?

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:39 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
I'm not sure whether it Ghost Stories or Horrified I want to get, they both look similar :?

Or you could move on to pandemic legacy season 1.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Jan 12, 2021 6:23 pm

Probably too geeky for you cool kids but I totally recommend solo board gaming whilst listening to music. I can't just sit listening to music without doing something else so playing a solo game at the same time is perfect for me. Currently playing the games Aerion and marvel champions.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:00 am

Ghost wrote:Probably too geeky for you cool kids but I totally recommend solo board gaming whilst listening to music. I can't just sit listening to music without doing something else so playing a solo game at the same time is perfect for me. Currently playing the games Aerion and marvel champions.

I'm a cool geek, aka don't look like a a geek but totally am cos I hide it well. So the above is noted.

Not a board game, but we've been playing lots of Exploding Kittens, started with the NSFW deck, then added in the Imploding Kittens and Streaking Kittens expansions. Lockdown fun.

i0th2
Warrior of Metal

Postby i0th2 » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:48 am

Exploding Kittens is a quality game. Don't have the NSFW version like as play it with the kids too. Got the Barking Kittens expansion for crimbo but not had a chance to try it yet but both the Imploding & Streaking add-ons are certainly worth getting.

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:07 pm

Ghost wrote:Anyone into strategy board games?

Ahhh, yes. That would be me. I run a twice yearly board gaming convention in Buckinghamshire.

I tend to favour games that reward skillful play rather than luck. I like worker placement, modular boards, variable end game goals and auction mechanics. My favourites would include Puerto Rico, Agricola, Go, Railroad Tycoon, The Castles Of Burgundy, Tigris & Euphrates and many more.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sun Oct 31, 2021 12:58 pm

Tet wrote:

Ahhh, yes. That would be me. I run a twice yearly board gaming convention in Buckinghamshire.

I tend to favour games that reward skillful play rather than luck. I like worker placement, modular boards, variable end game goals and auction mechanics. My favourites would include Puerto Rico, Agricola, Go, Railroad Tycoon, The Castles Of Burgundy, Tigris & Euphrates and many more.

I'm still not really going to things due to covid but where's the convention because I live in Buckinghamshire? I don't really like luck in my games either. I play a lot of solo and multi-player.

My favorite games for solo are Gaia Project, Fields of Arle and Warps Edge.

Multi-player are Great Western Trail, Brass and The search for planet x.

LiamWilliam
Lowly Peon

Postby LiamWilliam » Tue Aug 01, 2023 12:36 pm

I noticed that this thread is from three years ago, but the topic of strategy board games remains timeless. It's fascinating to see how the board gaming community has evolved over the years with new releases and expansions. Memoir 44, Brass Birmingham, Scythe, 7 Wonders Duel, and Spirit Island were popular choices back then, and some of them might have become classics by now.
As time goes on, more exciting strategy board games have likely been introduced, enriching the gaming experience even further. The hobby has likely grown with enthusiastic gamers sharing their experiences and discoveries with each other.
If you also want to explore a game that allows makign pretty good money online, check out black out bingo. It's a legit one and I like it a lot.
Last edited by LiamWilliam on Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Wed Aug 02, 2023 5:02 pm

Tet wrote:

Do you still run this Tet? If so, where is it?