Strategy Board Games

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Strategy Board Games

Postby Ghost » Fri May 15, 2020 5:55 pm

Anyone into strategy board games? My wife and I have played them for years but always put off by some prices. Considering I'm not going out anywhere though I've bought some of the more expensive ones recently. I've bought:

Memoir 44
Brass Birmingham
Scythe
7 wonders duel
Spirit Island
I see the bad moon arising.

gavdann
Leather Rebel

Re: Strategy Board Games

Postby gavdann » Sun May 17, 2020 6:49 pm

Ghost wrote:Anyone into strategy board games? My wife and I have played them for years but always put off by some prices. Considering I'm not going out anywhere though I've bought some of the more expensive ones recently. I've bought:

Memoir 44
Brass Birmingham
Scythe
7 wonders duel
Spirit Island

I'd love to but neither my wife or kids are interested in any I've suggested.

I might take a punt on a solo one.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sun May 17, 2020 7:16 pm

Enjoy 7 Wonders. Friends buy loads if them - Carcasone, Camel.Up, Ticket To Ride - all good fun
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sun May 17, 2020 9:49 pm

gavdann wrote:
Ghost wrote:Anyone into strategy board games? My wife and I have played them for years but always put off by some prices. Considering I'm not going out anywhere though I've bought some of the more expensive ones recently. I've bought:

Memoir 44
Brass Birmingham
Scythe
7 wonders duel
Spirit Island

I'd love to but neither my wife or kids are interested in any I've suggested.

Problem with playing solo is you might as well just play the online version unless you're actively trying to avoid looking at a screen for a change. Most of the co-op games work as solo but you do miss out on the social chat these games create. Before lockdown I used to regularly play co-op games with my wife and two friends. So that's three women I know that play board games, mental :D
Anyway as solo you could play the aptly named Pandemic. I think Zombiecide is the best Co-op game I've played so far but costs about 60 quid. Listening to some metal and playing Pandemic might be good though. Basically just solving a complicated puzzle.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Sun May 17, 2020 9:51 pm

someone else wrote:Enjoy 7 Wonders. Friends buy loads if them - Carcasone, Camel.Up, Ticket To Ride - all good fun

Yeah love ticket to ride. Nice easy one but fun. Even my mum plays that with us.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Mon May 18, 2020 2:23 pm

My parents are obsessed with Catan, always play it with them when I go to visit. I got them the Seafarers expansion pack a while ago, which makes the games much better.

They also recently got Ticket To Ride which I've played with them and the grandkids, and it seems great fun.

My dad is currently obsessing about this game called Gloomhaven that he wants to buy, you can play it in 1 player, but it costs £180 for the game, so rather him than me.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Mon May 18, 2020 3:47 pm

bloodfiend wrote:My parents are obsessed with Catan, always play it with them when I go to visit. I got them the Seafarers expansion pack a while ago, which makes the games much better.

They also recently got Ticket To Ride which I've played with them and the grandkids, and it seems great fun.

My dad is currently obsessing about this game called Gloomhaven that he wants to buy, you can play it in 1 player, but it costs £180 for the game, so rather him than me.

Yeah Ticket to ride is great.

Ha ha Gloomhaven has been classed as the best board game ever since release 3 years ago. Too pricey for me. The company Zatu actually have it on sale for £120.

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Mon Aug 17, 2020 3:57 pm

If you're into Co-op games, Pandemic is a brilliant strategy game. Genuinely challenging whilst still being fun.

Along similar lines, I picked up Horrified recently. A co-op game where you have to defeat Universal Studios horror monsters (Dracula, The Mummy, etc).

Both of the above require a certain level of strategy due to the finite number of moves you're allowed.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:34 am

Yeah I've had Pandemic for years. It's a good game to get people into the hobby.

Horrified is supposed to be quite a simple game so I may get it to play with my son when he's older.

I've bought Spirit Island which is supposed to be the best co-op.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Aug 18, 2020 11:35 am

gavdann wrote:

Marvel Champions is supposed to be a great solo game from last year and you do like your Marvel films now.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Aug 18, 2020 3:43 pm

Haldamir319 wrote:If you're into Co-op games, Pandemic is a brilliant strategy game. Genuinely challenging whilst still being fun.

Picked up Pandemic a few months ago, and we love it, great fun and gets very frantic towards the end. I've found the best way to play it is for people to get the task roles at random rather than pick the ones they want, because some are better than others, and the random aspects stops everyone being the same one each time.

Need to get that horror version of Pandemic soon.

Ghost
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ghost » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:54 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:
Need to get that horror version of Pandemic soon.

Eldritch Horror is the horror version of pandemic.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:10 pm

Ghost wrote:Eldritch Horror is the horror version of pandemic.

No this one, Ghost Stories:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Asmodee-Ghost- ... ame&sr=8-1

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:22 am

Horrified is definitely simpler than Pandemic, though it can depend which monsters you're playing (the mechanics to beat each are different).

As for Pandemic player roles, I believe in the rules it states you're meant to pick them at random. Have you managed to beat it on the hardest difficulty setting yet? We managed a victory or two on medium. On the hardest setting we got to 1 turn from doing it, but ran out of cards. You really have to play virtually every move many moves in advance though.

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 7:26 am

Another good one is Betrayal at the House on the Hill. Starts as a co-op game and ends up being a 1 vs the rest.

First half of the game you explore a house (build from scratch each time by laying tiles, so it's never really the same). At a certain point you trigger the 'haunt' and the second half of the game kicks in. Based on who triggered it and where etc you are given one of dozens and dozens of scenarios. The player who becomes the monster gets their own booklet explaining their win condition and the rest have their own explaining how to stop them. It's really fun and can be quite tense. Had about roughly a 50/50 split of wins to the group and the monster on that one.