The Relationships Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Lisa McNally
Rock Society Lead

Re: The Relationships Thread

Postby Lisa McNally » Mon Dec 28, 2009 10:39 am

It depends where you are in your life as to how much you will tolerate in the way of selfish behaviour. It depends how you feel about yourself and the level of confidence you have in yourself IMHO.

The guy I was seeing before Lee was incredibly selfish and for a long time I just used to let him behave that way as I couldn't really cope with the hassle of confronting it. Then I got my confidence back and one day just thought right ... enough is enough ... and kicked him into touch.

As for the music ... at our age, it is part of who we are and as such I can't imagine it being any other way. We met through music and though we don't align totally tastewise it's enough to be pretty cool! I just depends how important it is for you as a couple. For us it's up there on the list.

Manadh
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Manadh » Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:05 pm

I can't stand people who take music far too seriously and when they refuse to accept any other opinion that their own. Going out with someone like that would drive me insane. I used to know some lads who were like that, and it was just easier to not mention music around them at all, which was difficult seeing as it gets brought up a lot!
Having said that I also hate people who change their opinion to fit in with what others think.
I'm too sure which one is worse :|

Metal_saddle
Denim Demon

Postby Metal_saddle » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Manadh wrote:I can't stand people who take music far too seriously and when they refuse to accept any other opinion that their own. Going out with someone like that would drive me insane. I used to know some lads who were like that, and it was just easier to not mention music around them at all, which was difficult seeing as it gets brought up a lot!
Having said that I also hate people who change their opinion to fit in with what others think.

agree there
Nightmare world
Reflected as a dream
Vision blurred
This surely cannot be
Twisted now
Far from reality
Delving into depths
Mankind’s depravity

MentalInfestation
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby MentalInfestation » Mon Dec 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Amelia wrote:
MentalInfestation wrote:
NightEyes wrote:
Fail. Sorry I never understand when this happens with people. You want something, you pay for it yourself!

No I don't mean for gigs, I mean in general. He refused to get a job, so I was having to pay for food, dig money (cause we were having to live with his parents cause we couldn't afford to move out on my wage), travel, clothing... EVERYTHING!

you put up with that shit for six years ?!! :o

It wasn't all shit or I wouldn't have stuck with it that long. We're still mates, but I just couldn't cope with it any more.
Is no longer using this forum. Adios, off to pastures new with some "grown ups" and less egos :)

MotorAmarth
Denim Demon

Postby MotorAmarth » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:10 pm

Manadh wrote:I can't stand people who take music far too seriously and when they refuse to accept any other opinion that their own. Going out with someone like that would drive me insane. I used to know some lads who were like that, and it was just easier to not mention music around them at all, which was difficult seeing as it gets brought up a lot!

Yeah, one of my ex's would either find out if I'd found a new band and automatically love it, or go in a mood with me if I said I didn't like a band he had lied before he met me. And he'd usually stop listening to that band.

I don't see the point in that tbh, it's music. You get over it

Jage wrote:I don't like the sound of Mark Owen's voice in Priest.

Ms 80s
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Ms 80s » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:54 pm

MotorAmarth wrote:

Yeah, one of my ex's would either find out if I'd found a new band and automatically love it, or go in a mood with me if I said I didn't like a band he had lied before he met me. And he'd usually stop listening to that band.

I don't see the point in that tbh, it's music. You get over it

I just hate when ppl just poo my music when they haven't even tried listening to it, its hurtful, you know? haha

Amelia
Consort of the Beast

Postby Amelia » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:36 pm

MentalInfestation wrote:
Amelia wrote:
MentalInfestation wrote:
No I don't mean for gigs, I mean in general. He refused to get a job, so I was having to pay for food, dig money (cause we were having to live with his parents cause we couldn't afford to move out on my wage), travel, clothing... EVERYTHING!

you put up with that shit for six years ?!! :o

It wasn't all shit or I wouldn't have stuck with it that long. We're still mates, but I just couldn't cope with it any more.

someone refusing to get a job because they're happy with their SO paying all the bills seems insane to me.

MentalInfestation
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby MentalInfestation » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:49 pm

Amelia wrote:
MentalInfestation wrote:
Amelia wrote:you put up with that shit for six years ?!! :o

someone refusing to get a job because they're happy with their SO paying all the bills seems insane to me.

I never heard the end of it at work. Hey ho, that's just the way it was, and it got to the point where I'd had enough around this time last year. I'm just too soft I think.
Is no longer using this forum. Adios, off to pastures new with some "grown ups" and less egos :)

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:10 pm

dragonmaiden wrote:The guy I was seeing before Lee was incredibly selfish and for a long time I just used to let him behave that way as I couldn't really cope with the hassle of confronting it. Then I got my confidence back and one day just thought right ... enough is enough ... and kicked him into touch.

This is what eventually happened with me. It was like waking up one day and thinking "Hang on a minute, I don't actually have to put up with this!" :D
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

Twaddlefish
Denim Demon

Postby Twaddlefish » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:05 am

Littlemissmetal wrote:I went to a lot of gigs with the ex that I wasn't interested in, especially out of town ones so that he had someone to go with.

He'dve never have even dreamt of doing that for me, and if I went to a gig without him he'd go on and on for months afterwards about how terrible said band are and why the hell would I want to see them etc etc.

You try and get me to a Trivium gig, it's over :P

Just read the last few pages, I think it's very interesting how differing views of music affect relationships...I've dated girls into classical and there was one into Shakira (who, admittedly, is ace) but it's never been an issue. If they don't like it, they don't like it and although it's great to have that kind of support at your own gig, it's not a massive problem if they don't turn up because it's a waste of their money and they won't be enjoying themselves. I can see the compromise though, I went to Toploader with a friend of mine and nearly put a bullet in my skull they were that boring.
Littlemissmetal wrote:Women are stupid, as a rule.

Latest review: Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:08 am

Twaddlefish wrote:
Littlemissmetal wrote:I went to a lot of gigs with the ex that I wasn't interested in, especially out of town ones so that he had someone to go with.

He'dve never have even dreamt of doing that for me, and if I went to a gig without him he'd go on and on for months afterwards about how terrible said band are and why the hell would I want to see them etc etc.

You try and get me to a Trivium gig, it's over :P

Thanks for the warning :lol:

Twaddlefish
Denim Demon

Postby Twaddlefish » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:09 am

:D

I would probably go, just to shout BOAT RUDDER STRANGE MOUNTAIN at the relevant places.

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:12 am

Twaddlefish wrote::D

I would probably go, just to shout BOAT RUDDER STRANGE MOUNTAIN at the relevant places.

Why does that make me tempted to ask you to go to one? :lol:

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:31 am

I did just that when they supported Iron Maiden, it was the only entertaining part of their set...
Awaits a huge rant from Andrew about how amazing they are live and that they're one of the best, most diverse sounding metal bands of the last few years

:eyes:

Twaddlefish
Denim Demon

Postby Twaddlefish » Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:13 pm

Beardy wrote:

I did just that when they supported Iron Maiden, it was the only entertaining part of their set...
Awaits a huge rant from Andrew about how amazing they are live and that they're one of the best, most diverse sounding metal bands of the last few years

:eyes:

Dude, EVERYONE did that in Manchester! :lol: