The Relationships Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Fjar
Denim Demon

Re: The Relationships Thread

Postby Fjar » Wed May 07, 2014 9:19 pm

Moonburp wrote:Two people at work got together and can't see it developing well. Do workplace relationships ever work?

Only if they break up.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Wed May 07, 2014 9:20 pm

Moonburp wrote:Two people at work got together and can't see it developing well. Do workplace relationships ever work?

Hit and miss at my workplace, had a couple of marriages, had a few that haven't gone so well

Nantha
Denim Demon

Postby Nantha » Wed May 07, 2014 9:27 pm

I work with quite a lot of couples, haven't experienced a car crash yet though, can imagine it's pretty dire when it happens

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Wed May 07, 2014 9:35 pm

They can. Two mates of mine with got together whilst working in the same office. They handled it very well though and nobody knew about it at work bar me for like the first year. They've now both left our agency for varying reasons, but are going strong as ever. They just celebrated two years.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Wed May 07, 2014 9:49 pm

The ones that I've seen work tend to be the ones that keep it to themselves, avoid the drama and get on with their jobs as if they weren't together at all.
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Wed May 07, 2014 11:13 pm

Well I personally wouldn't. I feel there should be a divide between my work and social lives, but its been known to work rather well. A good mate of mine met his current girlfriend at our work place. She doesn't work for the company any more, and they're going strong!

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Wed May 07, 2014 11:31 pm

Turbo wrote:Well I personally wouldn't. I feel there should be a divide between my work and social lives, but its been known to work rather well. A good mate of mine met his current girlfriend at our work place. She doesn't work for the company any more, and they're going strong!

The term, "you don't shit on your own doorstep" is my motto too

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Wed May 07, 2014 11:36 pm

mikeftw wrote:
Turbo wrote:Well I personally wouldn't. I feel there should be a divide between my work and social lives, but its been known to work rather well. A good mate of mine met his current girlfriend at our work place. She doesn't work for the company any more, and they're going strong!

I've used the term "Don't shit where you eat" before, I guess in this case it's literal!

metalsam
Denim Demon

Postby metalsam » Thu May 08, 2014 12:01 am

Moonburp wrote:
mikeftw wrote:

I've used the term "Don't shit where you eat" before, I guess in this case it's literal!

You guys have sucky views of relationships :lol:

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Thu May 08, 2014 12:30 am

I kind of sounded a bit absolutist there. I guess its circumstantial but I've on;y ever witnessed it go badky.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu May 08, 2014 5:15 am

There's a few people are my work who are going along decently well.

They work in different departments though, so I guess that helps.

Actually a pair of our managers are married.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu May 08, 2014 6:56 am

gandalf the red wrote:It's bad when you get a couple who are inseparable when at work. Especially if they are the type that are holding hands and kissing all the time. :hurl:

This. Not just because it's unpleasant to see constantly, but it's also fucking unprofessional. One of my old managers was in a relationship with a member of staff, and any argument they had at home followed them to work, and vice versa. Plus they'd kiss and act all coupley in the middle of the kitchen where others are trying to work.

That said, our kitchen manager was engaged to a front of house manager (since before either started with the company) and they handled it excellently. At work you couldn't tell they were together, as they treated each other with the same respect and manner they treated all staff with.

Realistically, though, it's entirely down to the type of couple you have. If they're a bit immature then it's likely to cause a huge fuck up and create an awkward working atmosphere. However if both people are aware of where they are and what they're doing, there's no reason it can't work.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Thu May 08, 2014 7:07 am

Also, regarding the whole "would you want to know..?" thing.

If I had a girlfriend who'd cheated on me, I'd want to know. But I'd want to hear it from her. If she's cheated then she should at least have the decency to say it herself.
If I was told by the guy she'd cheated with, sure, there'd be some resentment towards him. Mostly because I think I'd struggle to believe it unless I'd heard it from her, like he's trying to stir shit up or something. I'd never resort to violence or even threats, though (unless he was making a joke of it, in which case it'd be deserved).

However if I'd just started seeing a girl and some guy came up and said they'd slept together a few days prior - I'd just think he's being a cunt and/or trying to put me off her.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jage
Leather Rebel

Postby Jage » Thu May 08, 2014 7:18 pm

uyrghhghgh

grumble biscuits.

metalsam
Denim Demon

Postby metalsam » Thu May 08, 2014 7:26 pm