The Relationships Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Fjar
Denim Demon

Re: The Relationships Thread

Postby Fjar » Thu Sep 06, 2012 7:55 pm

'Partner' reminds me of some kind of team building exercise. I just picture people high-fiving when they talk about their 'partner'. Dunno why.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:02 pm

"Hi, this is *name*. I'm fucking him/her".

That works, right?
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

Andrewhall28
Leather Rebel

Postby Andrewhall28 » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:03 pm

Noodle wrote:"Hi, this is *name*. I'm fucking him/her".

That works, right?

what if you're catholic :lol:

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:07 pm

"Hi, this is *name*. I'm sleeping in the bed on the other side of the room to him/her. We're of the opposite gender, of course".
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

De Stijl
Leather Rebel

Postby De Stijl » Thu Sep 06, 2012 8:07 pm

Andrewhall28 wrote:

That works, right?

what if you're catholic :lol:

Then you make sure the people you're telling don't have anything to do with the police.
RYM LastFM FaceBook

Delightful-Jim wrote:Feelings are for queers.

Kaahl
Consort of the Beast

Postby Kaahl » Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:43 pm

AnnihiSlateR wrote:
Dan Jenkins wrote:Relationships aren't objective by nature, people aren't robots :lol:

No, but the actions of people can be objectively viewed. If I kiss her, we kissed, there's no interpretation involved.
There's more room for objective analysis in our situation, but that's a story for another day.

I think thinking with my head and not my heart is perhaps a better way of putting it.

Perhaps stop thinking about it as an objective outsider and think about how it makes you feel.
Continuing your example of objectively viewing a kiss, you will also be able to consider whether or not you enjoyed it, whether or not you want to do it more, whether or not it excited you, etc.
Feelings and thoughts aren't mutually exclusive or necessarily at odds with each other, you just need to acknowledge the existence of both and find a nice common ground that lets you function best.

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Fri Sep 07, 2012 9:34 am

Dan Jenkins wrote:Relationships aren't objective by nature, people aren't robots :lol:

I wish I was. I hate being sensitive and crap. I want to be an emotionless robot :(
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:58 am

Delightful-Jim wrote:

I wish I was. I hate being sensitive and crap. I want to be an emotionless robot :(

Jim, you're a lovely guy. But man up :P

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:10 pm

Stay the course Jim, women just love a complete sissy!

Purple n Batty
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Purple n Batty » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:13 pm

That works, right?

Well, that worked last December when I told my sister about you whilst we were working up a hangover in Ely, "by the way I'm fucking..." :lol:

I think people think too much about relationships and what they want/expect to happen and putting time lines on it all. I much prefer just hanging out with someone, seeing what happens, trusting your instincts and letting it flow along naturally whilst at the same time building a great friendship and trust between you both instead of all the dating bollocks and making plans for the future which go tits up.
I don't suffer from insanity, I'm quite happy with it

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Fri Sep 07, 2012 2:39 pm

My favourite kind of relationship is stockholm syndrome.

Kaahl
Consort of the Beast

Postby Kaahl » Fri Sep 07, 2012 3:38 pm

Purple n Batty wrote:I think people think too much about relationships and what they want/expect to happen and putting time lines on it all. I much prefer just hanging out with someone, seeing what happens, trusting your instincts and letting it flow along naturally whilst at the same time building a great friendship and trust between you both instead of all the dating bollocks and making plans for the future which go tits up.

Absolutely this.

ollie123w
Leather Rebel

Postby ollie123w » Fri Sep 07, 2012 4:24 pm

Purple n Batty wrote:I think people think too much about relationships and what they want/expect to happen and putting time lines on it all. I much prefer just hanging out with someone, seeing what happens, trusting your instincts and letting it flow along naturally whilst at the same time building a great friendship and trust between you both instead of all the dating bollocks and making plans for the future which go tits up.

smart!

Dan Jenkins
Denim Demon

Postby Dan Jenkins » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:06 pm

Last edited by Dan Jenkins on Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnnihiSlateR
Denim Demon

Postby AnnihiSlateR » Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:31 pm

Kaahl wrote:
AnnihiSlateR wrote:

No, but the actions of people can be objectively viewed. If I kiss her, we kissed, there's no interpretation involved.
There's more room for objective analysis in our situation, but that's a story for another day.

I think thinking with my head and not my heart is perhaps a better way of putting it.

Perhaps stop thinking about it as an objective outsider and think about how it makes you feel.
Continuing your example of objectively viewing a kiss, you will also be able to consider whether or not you enjoyed it, whether or not you want to do it more, whether or not it excited you, etc.
Feelings and thoughts aren't mutually exclusive or necessarily at odds with each other, you just need to acknowledge the existence of both and find a nice common ground that lets you function best.

I know. But at times I find it hard to feel. A lot of the time I just feel a sort of void inside where I know emotion should be, and it's annoying really as I know I should be feeling something. But there's been times when she's cried and it's had no effect on me whatsoever. To me, the situation didn't warrant crying and it's like I can't feel anything if I don't deem it worth the emotion in the first place if that makes sense?
The Inner Tent is Not Flame Retardant!
http://www.last.fm/user/annihislater18