The Book thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Davros
Denim Demon

Postby Davros » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:14 am

I love reading my fave genres are who sci fi, who done it's, and biographys. My favorite athers are David Gemmell and Tolkin.
False metal is an enemy of the Daleks! EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE!!!

jackcake
Denim Demon

Postby jackcake » Thu Aug 23, 2007 7:30 pm

Just ordered a handful on Ebay:

Ian Rankin - Knots & Crosses / Hide And Seek
CJ Sansom - Dissolution / Dark Fire

They'll last me a few weeks. At the moment I'm reading Clarkson On Cars, borrowed from a work-mate.
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last.fm

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:12 am

Just finished "...Deathly Hallows" Plods a bit but threequarters of the way in it suddenly picks up for the big pagga at the end.

Noj_Bilskirnir

Postby Noj_Bilskirnir » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:19 am

2 books you need to read;

World War Z (set after a great war of zombies and peoples personnal accounts of the war)

Fatherland (set after world war 2 if germany had won the war)

Both great books :D

Samildanach
Leather Rebel

Postby Samildanach » Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:21 pm

Davros wrote:My favorite athers are David Gemmell...

:yes: Top three Gemmell books/series? [/High Fidelity-style man-ness]

I'm currently reading 'Mr Pye' by Mervyn Peake, and 'Writers of the Future Volume 3' by various people.
Oh, hi. I'm not Hollywood Steve. You caught me typing a new signature. This is the story of Kenny Loggins writing 'Footloose'.

Ross
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Ross » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:07 pm

Rigante and Drenai are what Gemmel's all about. Legend is an awesome book.

Samildanach
Leather Rebel

Postby Samildanach » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:37 pm

Hmm. Some Drenai, yes - I'm partial to Waylander myself. I'm also very fond of the Jerusalem Man series. My favourite single book by Gemmell, though, is Knights of Dark Renown.
Oh, hi. I'm not Hollywood Steve. You caught me typing a new signature. This is the story of Kenny Loggins writing 'Footloose'.

lars_ulrichs_blister
Denim Demon

Postby lars_ulrichs_blister » Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:06 am

Ross wrote:Rigante and Drenai are what Gemmel's all about. Legend is an awesome book.

quite partial to Druss the legend

Samildanach
Leather Rebel

Postby Samildanach » Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:08 am

Samildanach wrote:My favourite single book by Gemmell, though, is Knights of Dark Renown.

I just realised that this may be apparent from my name. :D

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:07 pm

My favourite Gemmell is Knights Of Dark Renown. Then Quest for Lost Heroes then Legend.
I could never get on with the Sipstrassi books for some reason.

caleb
Consort of the Beast

Postby caleb » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:26 pm

Love a bit of fantasy, esp Tolkein of course, Terry Goodkind (Wizards First Rule and Stone of Tears especially), Terry Pratchett. If you can get hold of it I seriously recommend (if you enjoy humerous fantasy) Craig Shaw Gardner's Ebenezum Trilogy / Ballad of Wuntvor Trilogy, possibly the funniest books I've ever read.

Also love things like translations of the Icelandic Sagas, the Edda, stuff like that, thats what comes of listening to all this viking metal stuff! Would recommend Volsung Saga and Saga of King Hrolf Kraki. Combine with Beowulf and the Elder Edda and see where Tolkein got a lot of his inspiration from. The Kalevala's worth a look as well, as are Ngals saga, Eyrbyggja Saga , Laxdaela Saga.

And totally away from fantasy and viking themes, and towards something a bit more human, I love anything by Armistead Maupin, esp the Tales of the City series, a chronicle of life in San Francisco starting in the the late 70s and through the 80s. Sad in places, but funny, warm and well written.

Ok and nearly forgot: Clive Barker - Damnation Game, Weaveworld, Imagica, Great and Secret Show, what an amazing writer.

spook1957
Warrior of Metal

Postby spook1957 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 7:58 pm

Umm!! Anyone like Robert Rankin, its like Pratchett for adults fantasy/houmour really worth getting into I think just finished the his latest The Da Da De Da Da Code, knows his music too. Presently reading Twisted Souls by Shaun Hutson, good easy read nothing taxing a horror story quite entertaining. Also like Ian Banks the SiFi stuff I prefere. Following to many authors to list them all, have you Umberto Eco he is seriously good story teller, better get on and read....
Aged metal head with and aged metal head wife with two metal head sons...Life can be so good. http://www.myspace.com/spook1957

caleb
Consort of the Beast

Postby caleb » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:53 pm

spook1957 wrote:Umm!! Anyone like Robert Rankin, its like Pratchett for adults fantasy/houmour really worth getting into I think just finished the his latest The Da Da De Da Da Code, knows his music too. Presently reading Twisted Souls by Shaun Hutson, good easy read nothing taxing a horror story quite entertaining. Also like Ian Banks the SiFi stuff I prefere. Following to many authors to list them all, have you Umberto Eco he is seriously good story teller, better get on and read....

Have read a few Robert Rankin, he is extremely funny, Nostrodamus Ate My Hamster is my favorite of his of the ones I've read.

jackcake
Denim Demon

Postby jackcake » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:29 pm

And another Ebay win:

Sam Bourne - The Last Testament
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last.fm

Samildanach
Leather Rebel

Postby Samildanach » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:10 pm

I've started re-reading the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's been a while.