The Book thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Deli Kate
Paster of Muppets

Re: The Book thread

Postby Deli Kate » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:45 pm

Big D wrote:ust finished: Tad williams _ The War Of the Flowers

Did you think there was going to be a sequel too?

I get so used to books 'not ending' I'm getting to the stage where I won't buy them until the whole series has been completed... at which stage I can usually pick the first ones up in the charity shops :)
Kate
10" of Awesomeness and a latte...

@DeliKate_events

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpjsgPDM4t8

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:49 pm

Deli Kate wrote:

I get so used to books 'not ending' I'm getting to the stage where I won't buy them until the whole series has been completed... at which stage I can usually pick the first ones up in the charity shops :)

Not really. I thought it ended at the right point, although the author could have done a follow-up if he wanted to.

The "not ending" thing drives me to distraction too. In the case of some fantasy series it can be years before you get to the end. When a new installment comes out once per year I can spend half of it trying to remember who the hell all of these people are.

MetalBeast
Denim Demon

Postby MetalBeast » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:52 pm

I read "An Edge In The Kitchen" by Chad Ward recently. As a result, my kitchen knives are the sharpest they've ever been and I can cut a wide variety of foodstuffs much more quickly AND more safely. It's a useful book, although he does get a bit bogged down in the detail, particularly when it comes to recipes for steel and how to use sharpening systems that probably come with their own manual anyway.

Chris Jericho's autobiography is very good as well. If you liked Mick Foley's I can recommend it.
All right, so I MADE a mistake! ONE MISTAKE!
Can't a man start over?! Do I have to keep on PAYING?! HUH?!
Maybe I should make another mistake! ...maybe TWO more!

Deli Kate
Paster of Muppets

Postby Deli Kate » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:57 pm

Big D wrote:
Deli Kate wrote:

Not really. I thought it ended at the right point, although the author could have done a follow-up if he wanted to.

The "not ending" thing drives me to distraction too. In the case of some fantasy series it can be years before you get to the end. When a new installment comes out once per year I can spend half of it trying to remember who the hell all of these people are.

or the selfish bastard dies when you've purchased 10 of his books and it still isn't finished :(
Kate

@DeliKate_events

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:08 pm

Just started the third of Robin Hobb's "Tawny man" trilogy. So far it's not quite as engrossing as either the "Farseer" or "Liveship traders" trilogies, but still a good read.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Schizoid
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Schizoid » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:35 pm

I started reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins last week whilst on holiday. I've never been religious at all, but it's really making it hard to believe how some people can believe some things (e.g. creationism). It'd probably be more thought provoking if I were agnostic, but it's still been a good read so far :D

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:19 pm

Just finished: Anthony Preston - The World's Worst Warships

I needed something to read while I had my dinner and this was to hand and fairly cheap.

(Does anybody else have this? I find that before I pop into KFC I first have to pop into WH Smiths just so I have something to read.)

Logeli
Lowly Peon

Postby Logeli » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:59 am

Just finished - R.A. Salvatore - The Pirate King.

Personally i'm finding his books on Drizzt to be a bit bland now, as I much prefer the older ones.

Probably have a browse at Smiths' after college or waterstones, not really fuessed either way

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Sun Mar 08, 2009 10:51 pm

after not reaing a book for about 5 months due to war and peace being the most boring thing ever to have existd i have just started rides a dread legion by raymond e feist
By this axe I rule

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Sun Mar 08, 2009 11:58 pm

I'm reading Exterminator! by William S Burroughs. That man was totally mental.
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

ROBL678
Warrior of Metal

Postby ROBL678 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:10 pm

Just starting J.R.R Tolkien "The Hobbit" before the movie comes out.

Littlemissmetal
Denim Demon

Postby Littlemissmetal » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:08 am

I like most fantasy and historical stuff.

Just re-read Legend by David Gemmel - for some reaosn his books make me ridiculously happy :love:

Also like Eddings (I agree with what someone said above, formulaic), Feist, the Pern books by Anne McCaffrey, pretty much anything by Bernard Cornwell (the Warlord Chonicles are a must :D )

Also like LOTR, though haven't read it in awhile.

Currently trying Boudicca Dreaming the Eagle by Manda Scott, on recommendation. Slow, but interesting.

Also reading Clarkson's new book - funny :lol:
http://www.facebook.com/LittleMissMetal
http://http://knightofdrosdelnoch.tumblr.com/

Smindas wrote:Kick him in the shins. With knifey shoes.

Bisset wrote:I'd rather slap my balls with a cheese grater.

Words are our most inexhaustible source of magic

Finnvitka
Denim Demon

Postby Finnvitka » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:09 am

The book I am currently reading is called American Abolitionists: The Growth of a Dissenting Minority

it is, as you can imagine, thrilling.
tumblr|facebook
[Josh] i fucking love bottom ;_;

ImageImageImage

Deli Kate
Paster of Muppets

Postby Deli Kate » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:25 am

Littlemissmetal wrote:
Also like Eddings (I agree with what someone said above, formulaic), Feist, the Pern books by Anne McCaffrey, pretty much anything by Bernard Cornwell (the Warlord Chonicles are a must :D )

What you have to remember is David Eddings wrote the Begariad way before any of the other 'new' fantasy writers came on the scene. I read the Belgariad when I was in Hospital recovering from having Gareth- which may explain alot :lol:

Yes, alot of people have copied the formula and he's regurgitated it with the 'Sparhawk' series and it all goes on and on but I still love the story.

I also read the Chronicals of Thomas Covenant when I was a student and they had just been written- the first and second set were amazing. Don't rate the latest one though- it's a bt pappy :(
Kate

@DeliKate_events

CrapyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrapyMike » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:28 am

Littlemissmetal wrote:Just re-read Legend by David Gemmel - for some reaosn his books make me ridiculously happy :love:

because he is the best
i just re-read lion of macedon, dark prince, the king beyond the gate, white wolf and the swords of night and day all by david gemmell and im re-reading waylander now also by david gemmell :B
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Is there an actual science of giving medical diagnosis by sniffing poo? I sometimes have a bit of a wiff from the paper and get curious if it smells different than usual.

http://www.last.fm/user/CrappyMike