The Book thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Fjar
Denim Demon

Re: The Book thread

Postby Fjar » Fri Sep 18, 2009 12:01 pm

onona wrote:
Oceansoul wrote:Just bought the new Dan Brown book. Actually quite looking forward to reading, as I loved Angels and Demons.

Hehe I got it yesterday. About halfway through it and I hate to admit it, but I am quite enjoying it. Which is weird, considering the fact that I think Brown is a terrible writer. He really is. His actual prose is stale and clichéd, and his writing is also annoyingly condescending, in its painfully overdone explanations of absolutely everything. They're basically books written for the lowest common denominator, and yet I can't deny that despite all this, he weaves a page-turner of a tale.

Totally agree. He's got a great imagination and can tell a good story, but he just writes like a 10 year old armed with Microsoft Word's thesaurus function.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:58 pm

Jonathon Kellerman - Twisted

Female Homicide detective and a young prodigy start looking into a pattern of suspicious killings. Not my usual thing but it was 50p so what the hell. Not bad so far.

NightEyes
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby NightEyes » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:55 pm

John le Carre - The Spy Who Came in from the Cold

A fanatic spy thriller set in Cold War German. It's gritty and a million miles away from the Clean cut James Bond where we know which side are the 'baddies'. I highly recommend it and the radio drama of the book is the best acting I have heard in a look time.

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:55 pm

Just bought 'dangerous visions' by various authors (compiled by harlan ellison) on ebay. This firstly means that I need to get rid of ebay so that i don't buy trashy sci-fi shite on a whim, but secondly, that I'm in for reading a wide range of trashy sci-fi shite for a fair ammount of time.

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:59 pm

Fjar wrote:
onona wrote:
Oceansoul wrote:Just bought the new Dan Brown book. Actually quite looking forward to reading, as I loved Angels and Demons.

Hehe I got it yesterday. About halfway through it and I hate to admit it, but I am quite enjoying it. Which is weird, considering the fact that I think Brown is a terrible writer. He really is. His actual prose is stale and clichéd, and his writing is also annoyingly condescending, in its painfully overdone explanations of absolutely everything. They're basically books written for the lowest common denominator, and yet I can't deny that despite all this, he weaves a page-turner of a tale.

Totally agree. He's got a great imagination and can tell a good story, but he just writes like a 10 year old armed with Microsoft Word's thesaurus function.

i allways thought that his writing was fine tbh, I agree that he explains an unnesasary ammount via dialogue but I don't ever recall thinking that during the process of reading any of his books, only agreeing after it was pointed out. If it makes you want to keep reading then why not imo (perhaps that means i'm a part of the aformentioned lowest common denominator :lol: ..... :| .... :( ... but then, the fact that I finished reading it and enjoyed it means that i can't ever meaningfully think his writing is bad.) I had the opportunity on sitting in on a lecture by some generic prominant linguist on why his writing was shite but I went to Finntroll instead :lol:

madjock666
Consort of the Beast

Postby madjock666 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:49 am

Finished "The fountainhead" by Ayn Rand. I actually enjoyed it. Ok she would have hated folk like us despite trying to encourage the individual!
The love story in it is highly unbelievable and almost ruins the book in my view. None of the characters are very likeable, but in the sphere she is writing about, that is more than likely true.
It certainly made me more aware about buildings and design.
If you are into RUSH you will find yourself laughing at points, due to comments and phrases which are either lines in songs or indeed song titles. It would appear Neil really was into her writings.
Will definitely read some of her other work especially "Anthem" as its the book/short story that 2112 was based on (as well as the song "Anthem").

I am now reading 3 books (depending on my mood)...for fun "Singing to the dead" by Caro Ramsay a thriller based in Glasgow.
"Peter Manuel serial killer" by Hector Macleod and Malcolm Mcleod about a serial killer from just outside Glasgow in the late 50s early 60s who was responsible for at least 8 deaths and the last man to be hung in Scotland.
Finally the other book I am reading is "God is not great" by Christopher Hitchens. As an athiest I am looking forward (I have just started it) to reading how he came to be an atiest. I hope he aint as "preachy" as Richard Dawkins "The god delusion". I agreed with much of it, but found he was as overbearing as any religious zealot I have ever met, which annoyed the shit out of me.
TANTUM RELIGIO POTUIT SUADERE MALORUM

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:49 pm

Finally jumped on the bioshock bandwag... I mean... started reading Atlas Shrugged after months of it gathering dust on the shelf.
I loooooooove it. You know it's a good book when you have to stop reading every few pages to contemplate the significance of a particular passage or phrase. I feel that this, combined with the sheer scale of the book, means that I'll be reading for quite some time.

Also, that lecture on Dan Brown's style (read: Da Vinci bashing (read: Litterary cock waving)) is in fact taking place this wednesday, so I shall be attending in my entireity.

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:08 pm

Currently reading Karin Slaughter - A Faint Cold Fear

Female forensics expert makes the msitake of letting her pregnant sister come along to a Crime scene where a young man jumped off a bridge. While she's studying the body the sister is brutally attacked.

As you might imagine, not remotely a bundle of laughs and not my usual thing at all. It was a 50p special so I'l finish it then leave it on a bus I think.

Also, just finished "Empowered Vol. 5" and on the slim chance that anybody here reads that comicbook: Adam Warren..you bastard.

NightEyes
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby NightEyes » Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:25 pm

Dostoyevsky - The Devils

The Warlord
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby The Warlord » Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:58 am

MagaMaga wrote:
Metallinen wrote:I've acquired a ton of Jeffery Deaver paperbacks that were donated to the library (and donations almost always get ripped up and thrown out) so I guess I know what I'll be reading next after all.

I read The Broken Window last year and really enjoyed it so I'm looking forward to getting into more of the Lincoln Rhyme stuff. I've especially wanted to read The Bone Collector and The Vanished Man for quite a while.

the bone collecter is a great book

Deaver is my Favourite Author and yesterday i finished reading the new Lincoln Rhyme Novel The Broken Window all i can say is it's a fucking awesome story and i highly recommend it. Others that i have read that i would recommend are.....

The Blue Knowhere
The Twelth Card (Lincoln Ryhme)
Manhattan is My Beat

i have a few more on my bookshelf that i havn't read yet.

Today im gonna start Dan Waddle Blood Atonment if it's anything like his first book The Blood Detective it will be great and i'll have read it in two days lol.
Instant Wanker.....Just Add Beer!

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:10 pm

Currently on book 7 (Crown of Swords) of the Wheel of Time saga. The 12th one comes out this month, huzzah!
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:51 pm

Don't remembering ordering the first volume of dangerous visions, but I'm glad I did. Been meaning to get it for months. Probably won;t be able to read it for months either because of the reduculous length of Atlas shrugged. Also, I saw the follow up to Pride, Predjudice and Zombies in borders today, It's called Sense, Sensibility and Seamonsters and looks bloody epic. :yes:

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:04 pm

After what seems like forever, I've finally got around to starting "Magician" by Raymond E Feist. It's been on the shelf for years, and has long been regarded as a classic of the genre, but for some reason, I haven't got around to reading it until now. I'm only perhaps a third of the way through so far, but I love it.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

itsthebandit
Consort of the Beast

Postby itsthebandit » Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:18 pm

Tet wrote:After what seems like forever, I've finally got around to starting "Magician" by Raymond E Feist. It's been on the shelf for years, and has long been regarded as a classic of the genre, but for some reason, I haven't got around to reading it until now. I'm only perhaps a third of the way through so far, but I love it.

same here and really enjoying it so far, will get the rest of the rift war saga me thinks

GaspodeTheWonderDog
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby GaspodeTheWonderDog » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:29 am

Reading Unseen Academicals. Here's hoping it's up there with his best, despite being about football... :ugh:

Agalloch for the Sophie Lancaster stage