The Book thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
User avatar
Heid
Definitely Not Nu
Posts: 79
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:43 am
Location: Shrewsbury, UK
Contact:

Re: The Book thread

Postby Heid » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:50 pm

Reading Philip Roth's The Professor of Desire and my god it's good!

Also, just started reading a study on the theory of memetics.

User avatar
Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon
Posts: 4466
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:42 am
Location: Neath Abbey, Wales
Contact:

Re: The Book thread

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Mon Aug 22, 2011 10:45 am

callumascott wrote:Just finished the Millennium trilogy, fucking amazing and am now reading solely Swedish crime fiction for a while.


My parents, I suppose like millions of others, have been extolling the virtues of those books for years now - they are on my reading pile so I'll get to them soon.

Anyway, my latest roundup-

Fiction

Jeffery Deaver - Speaking in Tounges
Standard Deaver really, nothing groundbreaking but a solid plot and nice twist. Don't expect anything too different from the Deaver norm here but a worthwhile additional to his CV. Wouldn't recommend as first Deaver novel to read.
7/10

Will Adams - The Alexander Cipher
What I was expecting - standard Dan Brown-esque historical conspiricy thriller novel centred around Alexander the Great and some, no doubt, earth-shattering secret that some generic characters must race to unravel before time runs out.
What I actually got - a very well paced thriller that focuses far more on character development and emotions rather than plot.
While the overall plot is very much the usual for this type of book, the character development and interaction was not. The hero, at times, was vunerable and mis-guided and did not feature an encyclopedic knowledge of all things relating to the plot of Alexander (unlike a certain Mr. Langdon). The villans were, at worst, doing what they thought was right and sometimes I even found myself on their side.
A really excellent debut novel and I'm looking forward to tracking down more by this author.
7/10

Dan Brown - Angels & Demons
Upon coming back to this novel, the first thing that strikes me that passed me by the first time I read this is how religious it is. Obviously a novel that focuses on the Vatican is going to contain a certain amount of religious discussion, but when you really focus on what Dan Brown writes, you realise how preachy it is. I found myself skim reading or even skipping parts altogether when one of the characters started on a rant about religion and science.
On top of that, when you combine fairly lifeless and unbelievable characters with ridiculous situations you get a novel that seems to drag, despite being quite fast paced.
I really wish Dan Brown would abandon the historical conspiricy thrillers and go back to writing novels like Digital Fortress. Perhaps then he'll get round to writing something worthwhile again.
4/10

Non-Fiction

Jeremy Clarkson - The World According to Clarkson - Vol 1
The first collection of Clarkson's column that appears in the Sunday Times, this is Clarkson at his usual wit. If you like him, you'll like this. If you don't, you'll hate it. Thankfully, I like him.
6/10

User avatar
Big D
Denim Demon
Posts: 9381
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:51 pm
Location: Portsmouth

Re: The Book thread

Postby Big D » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:14 pm

Currently reading: Robert Masello - The Medusa Amulet.
Scholar gets hired to retrieve a mysterious long-lost artefact. Nasty people try to stop him.
Not bad so far.

User avatar
someone else
Denim Demon
Posts: 6000
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:33 pm
Location: Chester, UK
Contact:

Re: The Book thread

Postby someone else » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:17 pm

ish42 wrote:
callumascott wrote:Just finished the Millennium trilogy, fucking amazing and am now reading solely Swedish crime fiction for a while.


Finished the first one last week and for about half the book it was essentially a better written Dan Brown novel. Picked up towards the end though so I'll be reading the next one. Can't understand the massive hype myself, maybe I will with the second book.


I liked the first one, but can be seen almost as a stand alone story, a fairly conventional Agatha Christie type mystery. The second and third are much better - the only thing I didn't like about the style wa that fairly minor characters got given back-stories, which drags it out a bit.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

User avatar
Dangles
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:52 am

Re: The Book thread

Postby Dangles » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:22 pm

Anyone recommend a good sci fi novel to read?
Thinking of taking a break from the wheel of time for a while :P
Facebook
Bands that should play Bloodstock next year
VADER | SEPTIC FLESH | KATATONIA | ANATHEMA

Image

User avatar
Twaddlefish
Denim Demon
Posts: 8157
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: York, baby

Re: The Book thread

Postby Twaddlefish » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:36 pm

Johnny Tightlips wrote:I really wish Dan Brown would abandon the historical conspiricy thrillers and go back to writing novels like Digital Fortress. Perhaps then he'll get round to writing something worthwhile again.
4/10


Digital Fortress is hands down one of the worst books I have ever read. The one about the comet (Deception Point?) was slightly better, but only just.

Finished Yahtzee's Mogworld last night. Very funny, great characters and a dash of epicness.

Starting on Stephen King's Cell, after having it sit around for aaages. Really great so far.
Littlemissmetal wrote:Women are stupid, as a rule.



Latest review: Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes

User avatar
Tet
Denim Demon
Posts: 8831
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 8:09 pm
Location: Harrow
Contact:

Re: The Book thread

Postby Tet » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:00 pm

Dangles wrote:Anyone recommend a good sci fi novel to read?
Thinking of taking a break from the wheel of time for a while :P

Frank Herbert -- "Dune"
Vernor Vinge -- "A fire upon the deep"
AE van Vogt -- "Empire of the atom"
James Blish -- "They shall have stars"
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

User avatar
Big D
Denim Demon
Posts: 9381
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 7:51 pm
Location: Portsmouth

Re: The Book thread

Postby Big D » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:26 pm

Don't read much Sf but:

Harry Harrison - The Stainless Steel Rat
Fritz Leiber - The Big Time
Harry Harrison - The Technicolor Time Machine

User avatar
Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon
Posts: 4466
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:42 am
Location: Neath Abbey, Wales
Contact:

Re: The Book thread

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:32 am

Twaddlefish wrote:Digital Fortress is hands down one of the worst books I have ever read. The one about the comet (Deception Point?) was slightly better, but only just.

Finished Yahtzee's Mogworld last night. Very funny, great characters and a dash of epicness.

Starting on Stephen King's Cell, after having it sit around for aaages. Really great so far.


Twaddlefish wrote:Starting on Stephen King's Cell, after having it sit around for aaages. Really great so far.


Twaddlefish wrote:Stephen King's Cell. Really great so far.


Twaddlefish wrote:Stephen King. Really great.


WARNING - DOES NOT COMPUTE - INVALID POST

User avatar
Dangles
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:52 am

Re: The Book thread

Postby Dangles » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:00 pm

Tet wrote:
Dangles wrote:Anyone recommend a good sci fi novel to read?
Thinking of taking a break from the wheel of time for a while :P

Frank Herbert -- "Dune"
Vernor Vinge -- "A fire upon the deep"
AE van Vogt -- "Empire of the atom"
James Blish -- "They shall have stars"


I've read dune, but thanks for the recommendations, these 3 books will keep my busy on my book hunt :D
Facebook
Bands that should play Bloodstock next year
VADER | SEPTIC FLESH | KATATONIA | ANATHEMA

Image

User avatar
callumascott
Leather Rebel
Posts: 1109
Joined: Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:17 pm
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: The Book thread

Postby callumascott » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:00 pm

My Swedish crime fiction binge took me to the Ice Princess by Camilla Lackberg. The version I read was translated by the same guy who did the Millennium trilogy. I didn't like it at all, the way the author portrays all the characters in the most negative light possible makes the tone sneering and condescending.

User avatar
keera_envenomed
Denim Demon
Posts: 7717
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:54 pm
Location: Brizzle

Re: The Book thread

Postby keera_envenomed » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:42 am

Johnny Tightlips wrote:
Twaddlefish wrote:Digital Fortress is hands down one of the worst books I have ever read. The one about the comet (Deception Point?) was slightly better, but only just.

Finished Yahtzee's Mogworld last night. Very funny, great characters and a dash of epicness.

Starting on Stephen King's Cell, after having it sit around for aaages. Really great so far.


Twaddlefish wrote:Starting on Stephen King's Cell, after having it sit around for aaages. Really great so far.


Twaddlefish wrote:Stephen King's Cell. Really great so far.


Twaddlefish wrote:Stephen King. Really great.


WARNING - DOES NOT COMPUTE - INVALID POST


Don't you read Jeffrey Archer novels? That makes everything you say about books invalid.

In other news, still reading War and Peace
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

User avatar
markguy764
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2964
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:28 am
Location: Burgess Hill

Re: The Book thread

Postby markguy764 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:54 am

Going through George RR Martin's A Song Of Ice And Fire series at the moment after loving the first book and the first tv series
Links to my Brighton based events company. Any bands wanting a gig in Brighton feel free to contact us.
http://jackhammermusic.co.uk/default.aspx
http://www.myspace.com/jackhammerpromotions
http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gid=356209302783

User avatar
jackcake
Denim Demon
Posts: 7487
Joined: Wed Mar 31, 2004 6:55 pm
Location: Moseley, Birmingham

Re: The Book thread

Postby jackcake » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:43 pm

keera_envenomed wrote:Don't you read Jeffrey Archer novels? That makes everything you say about books invalid.


I was there when Jeffrey Archer opened my junior school's refurbished library in 1992. :P For some reason my middle brother told the Mayor of Sandwell I wanted to meet him. Hmm?
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last.fm

User avatar
Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon
Posts: 4466
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:42 am
Location: Neath Abbey, Wales
Contact:

Re: The Book thread

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:49 pm

keera_envenomed wrote:
Don't you read Jeffrey Archer novels? That makes everything you say about books invalid.

In other news, still reading War and Peace


Image

God, I haven't used that in about 6 years :lol: