The Book thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Big D
Denim Demon

Re: The Book thread

Postby Big D » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:30 pm

Just started - Mark Chadbourne - The Sword of Albion.
Set just before the Spanish Armada, one of Queen Elizabeth's best agents is sent to recover a mysterious weapon. And the people he's up against are not ...exactly...people.
So, Swashbuckler v Faerie. Promising.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:30 am

Still reading A Dance With Dragons..
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:14 pm

Me too. This book is a fucking chore, and AFFC was such a delight to read. I just cannot deal with (SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST 500 PAGES OR WHATEVER) Dany and her ENDLESS BORING crush on some weird guy and "I am only a young girl" and Tyrion trying to rationalise his being a rapist dickface horrible person.

the only good bit so far is the Frey pie.

Azubi
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Azubi » Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:35 am

I started to read Blackwater, an investigative journalism book on the PMC company that had mega deals in Iraq. Started reading it because I am interested in their roles during Hurricane Katrina and the likes of that but it's pretty heavy-going right from the start about Iraq and their fuckups so I am not sure if I want to read anymore of it. :(
http://www.azubi.co.uk - Azubi's Adventures in Abandonment :)

fluffymoo wrote:Fucking hell, Mike - you really are wrong all the time.

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:31 am

clare-l wrote:Me too. This book is a fucking chore, and AFFC was such a delight to read. I just cannot deal with (SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST 500 PAGES OR WHATEVER) Dany and her ENDLESS BORING crush on some weird guy and "I am only a young girl" and Tyrion trying to rationalise his being a rapist dickface horrible person.

I don't think I've read the Frey pie bit yet, seen a lot about it on Tumblr etc.

I love Theon so much in this book. :(
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

clare-l
Denim Demon

Postby clare-l » Tue Aug 30, 2011 2:29 pm

Fjar wrote:
clare-l wrote:Me too. This book is a fucking chore, and AFFC was such a delight to read. I just cannot deal with (SPOILERS FOR THE FIRST 500 PAGES OR WHATEVER) Dany and her ENDLESS BORING crush on some weird guy and "I am only a young girl" and Tyrion trying to rationalise his being a rapist dickface horrible person.

I don't think I've read the Frey pie bit yet, seen a lot about it on Tumblr etc.

I love Theon so much in this book. :(

It's not actually explained but it's at the wedding of a certain Bolton, Wyman Manderley is going crazy over some fucking pork pie and then there's references to missing Frey sons. It's one of those little things not everyone catches, like Sarella = Alleras and so on.

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:08 am

Currently - Pete McCarthy - McCarthy's Bar
Writer with roots in England and Ireland goes wandering round Western Ireland meeting quirky people. Amiable.

Dangles
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Dangles » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:10 am

Big D wrote:Currently - Pete McCarthy - McCarthy's Bar
Writer with roots in England and Ireland goes wandering round Western Ireland meeting quirky people. Amiable.

I wish i could read as fast as you Big D :(
Facebook
Bands that should play Bloodstock next year
VADER | SEPTIC FLESH | KATATONIA | ANATHEMA

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:17 am

Now reading The Given Day by Dennis Lahane: the writer of Mystic River, Shutter Island and Gone Baby Gone goes for a big 700 page historical novel, set in Boston just after WW1 with strikes, poverty, immigration, unemployment, epidemics and lefty terrorists seen from the eyes of a Irish cop and a black house servant. Half way through and it's a great book.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:39 pm

Just finished _ Paul Magrs - Enter Wildthyme.
Couple of darlington booksellers get dragged into a jaunt involving an unhinged old lady in a time/space travelling Routemaster, a sentient vending machine and a grumpy stuffed panda.
Very Douglas Adams. Decent enough but if I never read the follow-up I won;t be too upset.
Just started - David Gibbins - Crusader Gold.
Another "Hey! Let's go find the ancient lost thing... Why are people trying to kill us?" sort of book. I paid a quid for it so as long as it keeps me out of mischief for a couple of afternoons I'll be happy.

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Fri Sep 09, 2011 7:52 pm

[quote="Big D"
Just started - David Gibbins - Crusader Gold.
Another "Hey! Let's go find the ancient lost thing... Why are people trying to kill us?" sort of book. I paid a quid for it so as long as it keeps me out of mischief for a couple of afternoons I'll be happy.[/quote]

Let me know what thats like, I tried his first book and its one of the only books I've ever stopped reading before the end. I think I described it a few pages back on here as Clive Cussler on depressants. Terrible book.

moleye
Definitely Not Nu

Postby moleye » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:09 pm

Just finished Fartherland by Robert Harris. Enjoyed the alternative world its in.

Just attempting pride and predudice. Somthing new
Astrometalhead

Slayer-ov-orcs
Denim Demon

Postby Slayer-ov-orcs » Sat Sep 10, 2011 5:13 pm

My mum bought me Terry Brook's latest book :D, although I realised I never got the last book in the Genesis of Shannara series so now I have ordered that. It also turns out he has written a new book in the Magic Kingdom Of Landover series so I may have to buy that :P
Feel free to add me on last.fm http://www.last.fm/user/Slayer-ov-orcs

Lick Mars
I am the Law!

Postby Lick Mars » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:59 pm

After everyone nagging me to do it, I've FINALLY read (or finishing reading) the 5th Harry Potter book. It's only taken me 8 years to get round to it :lol: Not my fave HP book, but it did remind me why I liked them in the first place, and of being back at school since the books were released so as I originally read them I was always in the same year as harry at school - until the films delayed the 5th book release (which is when I lost interest). Never liked the films much but think I'll give the last two books a read now. Wonder if I have to buy the 'adult editions' now..

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Tue Sep 13, 2011 8:43 am

Just finished all 12 volumes of the "Thieves world" series. Now taking a break and doing something different, so I'm reading "Mustaine: a life in metal".
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...