The Book thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Brendancoles
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: The Book thread

Postby Brendancoles » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:12 pm

Started Cloud Atlas the other week, part way through, difficult to get into but I'm quite enjoying it now.

Skippy
Paster of Muppets

Postby Skippy » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:15 pm

Bisset wrote:
Skippy wrote:
Bisset wrote:Making a start on Deadhouse Gates tonight when I get home. Might as well start on the 9 outstanding books I have.

Probably the best in the series if you ask me. A lot of aimless walking around for the first part, but the payoff is great towards the end.

Just finished (I took my time I'll admit). Really enjoyed it. Proper cluster fuck of everything going wrong at the end.

Haha I think that's why I like it. The chain of dogs strand in particular has a great (if depressing) ending.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Mar 13, 2015 5:19 pm

Decided to re-read Tolkien's "Unfinished tales". This is not a book to skim through. It's slow going, with lots of cross checking, looking things up in the maps or indices. But it's oh so rewarding.

After that, I went back to some A.E. van Vogt:

- The third eye of evil
- Mission to the stars
- Earth's last fortress
- The undercover aliens
- The changeling

At his best, he's fantastic. But he's also written a lot of filler. Those books covered a mix of the two.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:39 pm

Skippy wrote:The chain of dogs strand in particular has a great (if depressing) ending.

God aye, I'll put money on him Ascending or something though. Memories of Ice has started off very strongly.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:17 am

A bump before it disappears like other old threads have.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:54 am

Ended up finishing The Pyschopath Test, which is a fascinating book about a writer talking to, surprisingly, pyschopaths and potential ones, as well as some practioners in the field of mental health. Funny when it needs to be, and a real easy read.

Reading House of Leaves at the moment which is less of an easy read, but that's supposed to be the point I guess. Only problem is I'm more interested in the fake movie being written about, than the other story that's interwoven.

Brendancoles

Postby Brendancoles » Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:31 am

Just going to plug the book that my friend at work wrote: It's called Man Made and the Author is Jack Hunter. Available on kindle on Amazon. TBH it's kinda hard work to being with, however, slowly but surely I'm getting into it. Dystopian Sci-Fi thriller for those interested.

jwh20

Postby jwh20 » Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:33 pm

I love my history and would've taken it at A Level and most likely uni if I hadn't had a falling out with my teacher at GCSE, so try to read a lot of books and teach myself as a bit of an autodidact. Most I read are interesting, but John Keep's history of the soviet union 45-91 is horrendously dull. Nothing in it about foreign policy, or really any politics in general, first 250 pages have basically been tables of economic and agricultural figures.

Got my kindle now, and can't wait to just get it out of the way and start reading something else - got a lot of books on goodreads to traipse through.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:47 am

On the last three books in the Malazan Book of the Fallen, I'm so slow at reading now!

After that I have the two newer Mistborn books. Finished Calamity (Book Three in BranSan's Reckoners trilogy) and was severely underwhelmed at the anticlimatic ending. While Reckoners has always been a little more "young adult" the ending actually annoyed me.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:47 pm

BUMP
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Metalchemyst
Denim Demon

Postby Metalchemyst » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJmF97aDwIM

I'm in the middle of Michael Moorcock's Wizardry and Wild Romance: A Study of Epic Fantasy. He's very critical of some popular authors such as Tolkien and Lovecraft.
DISTORTION JUNKIES SHALL INHERIT THE EARTH

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:06 pm

I've been reading Laurel K Hamilton's "Anita Blake" series, which makes for fairly lightweight, throwaway reading. After those, I read Karin Lowachee's "Warchild". It was billed as space opera (a genre I love), but I don't think it quite fits into that category. I enjoyed it, though. Other than that, I've been reading books on how to buy land and how to get planning permission. Oh, the joy of adulthood!

I'm currently reading "White line fever", Lemmy's autobiography.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:26 pm

Just finished Randy Blythe's book 'Dark Days' about his time in the Prague nick and his thoughts etc...I thought it was excellent (especially since someone bought me Danny Dyer's erm..coughs... book and I'd just read some of that..)

Gandalf the Red
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:55 pm

Tet wrote:I'm currently reading "White line fever", Lemmy's autobiography.

I read that one year when going to Wacken on my own. I knew I had a long wait in Manchester Airport so read it whilst having a few beers.

NathanAronson
Lowly Peon

Postby NathanAronson » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:25 pm

I have read a lot of books, I think books are knowledge, I am writing reviews on various literary books like this https://uk.papersowl.com/literature-review-writing-service , I will be happy to help you in this matter, if you have any questions, please write to me personally.
Last edited by NathanAronson on Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.