The Book thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Metalgal
Powermetal Child

Re: The Book thread

Postby Metalgal » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:33 pm

I'm currently on the 6th book of The enemy by Charlie higson, really well written giving a whole new angle to apocalyptic Britain :)
I’m ready! I’m ready! I’m ready! ;)

some_thing_wild
Paster of Muppets

Postby some_thing_wild » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:36 pm

Started a new job in january and have had to get the train everyday. Which means 20minutes of reading time on each journey and it's been a blessing having time to read for a change. This year I've got through

Brighton Rock, To Kill A Mockingbird, Lolita, The Psycopath Test, The Men Who Stare at Goats, 1984, Animal Farm, Lord of the Flies, Laughter in the Dark, Tom Sawyer, The Old Man And The Sea, Our Man In Havana and Day Of The Triffids.

Currently reading Burmese Days. It's been a good year

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:06 pm

Reading 'the miner' by Natsume Sõskei. Its one of Murukami's favourites apparently- you can see the influence really clearly. Its pretty existential for a book written at the turn of last century, which is cool and interesting.

At the other end of the scale, I just finished Mortal Engines. Really enjoyed it, very fast pace and, as its YA, quick to read. Never say the film but it didn't look like it would be able to match it at all. Anybody able to compare it to the film?
Welcome to a brave new world/ The future here or haven't you heard?

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:06 pm

metaldinosaur wrote:Reading 'the miner' by Natsume Sõskei. Its one of Murukami's favourites apparently- you can see the influence really clearly. Its pretty existential for a book written at the turn of last century, which is cool and interesting.

At the other end of the scale, I just finished Mortal Engines. Really enjoyed it, very fast pace and, as its YA, quick to read. Never saw the film but it didn't look like it would be able to match it at all. Anybody able to compare it to the film?

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:08 pm

Oops, that was meant to be an edit for spelling, not a quote!

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:54 pm

Just read the first two books of SA Corey's "The expanse" series. So far so good. Before that it was Barbara Hambly's "Darwath" trilogy.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:57 am

Tet wrote:Just read the first two books of SA Corey's "The expanse" series. So far so good. Before that it was Barbara Hambly's "Darwath" trilogy.

I'm up to book 6 (Babylon's Ashes) - really enjoying the series. I like how it sort of starts off as almost a conspiracy-noir-in-space before turning into this ever expanding set of storylines that seem to naturally branch off from the events of the first two books.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:46 pm

I've been re-reading the Witches books from Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. I'm up to Masquerade. Once I'm done with those, I want to re-read ASOIAF and/or LotR again. Got a 16(?) hour flight coming up in February, so I want something I can sink my teeth into.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:02 pm

So now my eyes are actually better and I'm not practically blind I can start reading my way through my queue. My wife bought me all of Robin Hobb's books (well all the main ones anyway) so I've started by re-reading the original Farseer Trilogy, enjoying it much more the second time around.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

metaldinosaur
Leather Rebel

Postby metaldinosaur » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:47 pm

Bisset wrote:So now my eyes are actually better and I'm not practically blind I can start reading my way through my queue. My wife bought me all of Robin Hobb's books (well all the main ones anyway) so I've started by re-reading the original Farseer Trilogy, enjoying it much more the second time around.

I quite enjoyed the first book, in a pretty standard 'heroes journey' kind of way, but the second was so plodding I never read the third.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:12 am

I found the second to be significantly better than the third - the ending in particular was pretty underwhelming. Looking forward to getting onto the other books in the series.

And doing my Wheel of Time re-read before the TV series begins

And reading the Esslemont Malazan Books

And reading Oathbreaker...fuck
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

bloodfiend
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodfiend » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:33 am

Catherine11 wrote:Reading books is a good habit. We can learn many things from novels. There are several books available in the market on every subject. So, you can select any book according to your interest and choice. Many novels are available on such topics like friction, education, story and biography. Every novel gives a new direction to think and act. We can develop ourselves as a better person in life. I also like to read books in my free time. I have a good collection of books. In my free time, I also do writing, I have written several articles and blogs for the students. If they need any help in their writing then they can take help from https://www.buyessayukblog.wordpress.com/.

You see, I would think this is a spambot, but the wierd thing is it's on exactly the right subject and in the right place.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 2:43 pm

It's not the first one like that I've spotted recently. I guess there's some new bot tech out there, since everyone and their mother can recognise the crude old bots that just spam every subforum in a community. Nobody clicks those links, because they're obviously spam; at a glance, this is almost passable as human.

Anyway book-related: wtf is with kindles nowadays? You pay ~£100 and Amazon sticks adverts (sorry, "Special Offers") on it? You have to pay more to get an advert-free version? Bleh.
~ Adam Jenson

some_thing_wild
Paster of Muppets

Postby some_thing_wild » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:18 am

In case anyone doesn't know, https://www.foliosociety.com/uk has some real nice stuff

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:26 pm

I'm up to Storm of Swords (book three) in my reread of ASOIAF, just coming up to the Red Wedding.

It was interesting reading the prophetic dreams and visions various characters have so early on in the series, now that I have more context.
~ Adam Jenson