The Book thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
PaulMaiden
Paster of Muppets

Postby PaulMaiden » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:23 pm

Last books I've read:

Joseph Wambaugh - Hollywood division
John Grisham - The Broker

Hollywood division is amazing, a real return to form for a guy who hasn't written a novel in like 20 years or something! It reeks a bit of trying to be new with far too many references to modern culture (in a way he didnt use in his earlier books), and there are some fairly standard Wambaugh plot devices, but it's an excellent read (as you would expect from him), and I would reccomend it to anyone.

The Broker, I actually bought because i ran out of things to read on the way home from BOA. Read it before, it's not as inviting as some of his courtroom based ones, but it's still a cracker.

Also read most of the Harry Potter series recently, all brilliant :D And re-read a bit of Narnia, as I tend to do every few months.

jackcake
Denim Demon

Postby jackcake » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:58 pm

Samildanach wrote:I've started re-reading the Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's been a while.

I need to get my hands on the Trilogy In Five Parts.
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last.fm

Samildanach
Leather Rebel

Postby Samildanach » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:22 am

I'm hoping that I'll get the whole Fenchurch thing this time. I seem to have a mental block about her. I've read the Guide countless times in the last fifteen years or so, and at no point have I quite grasped what the bollocking bollocks is meant to be going on with Fenchurch.

lars_ulrichs_blister
Denim Demon

Postby lars_ulrichs_blister » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:26 am

Redemption of Althalus - David Eddings (yeah, im a slow reader sometimes!!)

if anyone doesnt know eddings' stuff, his books seem to follow a certain pattern, usually Bad God, Good God, Bad Disciples, Good Disciples, Magic, Religious war involving numerous states which are typically at war for other reasons anyway....

Althalus is a petty thief preying on easy marks in the countryside, he relies on his luck a great deal and thinks himself the greatest thief around. After a disastrous visit to 'civilisation', where he has many near misses and fails to benefit from the great wealth in the towns, he is made an offer he cannot refuse.

Its very simple - just steal a book from an unoccupied, unlocked house. Easy, thinks Althalus, and proceeds to the house. However, the book is actually being guarded by a cat, with mystical powers. Over a great many years (real world/outside the house) time Althalus is instructed in how the book may be used to perform miracles/magic. He is then informed that the enemies of all that is good have a similar book and have nefarious plans to bring civilisation down.

cue the bod god, good god etc

Enjoyed it, but the was far too much repetition of stuff in it.
If God is black then he is Samuel L Jackson

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:35 am

Just started - Conquistador by S.M. Stirling. (WW2 vets find a portal to a world where Europeans never got to America. 60 years later somebody else finds their secret.)
I have high hopes for this one. The Peshawar Lancers by the same author was great fun. (Swordfights on top of zeppelins = Win)

lars_ulrichs_blister
Denim Demon

Postby lars_ulrichs_blister » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:50 am

Big D wrote: The Peshawar Lancers by the same author was great fun. (Swordfights on top of zeppelins = Win)

I'll take you up on that one

*checks ebay*

jackcake
Denim Demon

Postby jackcake » Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:17 pm

Sam Bourne - The Last Testament, arrived today.
Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Last.fm

angel_of_death
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby angel_of_death » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:06 pm

jackcake wrote:Sam Bourne - The Last Testament, arrived today.

ooo, let me know what that's like. I found Righteous Men quite enjoyable, but extremely predictable.

theseventhone
Leather Rebel

Postby theseventhone » Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:51 pm

*red*
Leather Rebel

Postby *red* » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:52 pm

Serously guys you should visit an Oxfam bookshop (where I volunteer :D ).
I'm in charge of the sci-fi and we always have loads of Herbert, Arther C Clarke and Moorcroft at stupid prices :o

Selling really well at the moment (maybe cos I'm buyng them all :eyes: )

I'm currently reading harry Potter 7, Terry parcheet 2Wyrd Sisters" and the narnis collection (again).

I usually have many books going at once cos I read them in different places.
Nothing better than escaping into a good book!!
]I'm dyslexic and have trouble spelling. Please do not correct me.

I try my best...sometimes for you spelling nazis that is not enough

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:02 pm

Picked up some Douglas Reeman WW2 books at a car-boot sale. There does tend to be a definite pattern. War-weary officer, obnoxious senior officers and a climactic sea-battle with lots of "Break out the Battle Ensign", "The helmsman's had his face blown off sir" and so on.
There's usually a romantic sub-plot as well. (Which tends to be a bit clunky. Oh well.)
Not great literature but a good way to pass an afternoon.

theseventhone
Leather Rebel

Postby theseventhone » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:33 pm

Tess of the D'urbervilles by Thomas Hardy and White Line Fever by Lemmy.

lars_ulrichs_blister
Denim Demon

Postby lars_ulrichs_blister » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:58 pm

The Dark Elf Trilogy by R.A. Salvatore.

nid
Powermetal Child

Postby nid » Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:04 pm

I've just finished reading 'Panic' by Jeff Abbott. Brilliant book, very fast action all the way through with a few unsuspected twists! Finished it in two days... and that's quick even for me!

Need to finish off the Warlord Chronicles by Bernard Cornwall next or maybe read a couple more Lee Child books, can't get enough of them!!
The Feared and Ruthless Captain "whose name cannot be spoken"

"YARR! Roaming the seas, I take what I find; gold, wenches and mead, the pirates life is mine!"

Heavy Metal Pirate Brotherhood
+ nunc est bibendum +

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:27 pm

Max Hastings - Armageddon: The Battle For Germany 1944-45.

The general tone of the book is that the Western Allies should have been able to end the war in 1944 but made a hash of it.