The Book thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Re: The Book thread

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:34 pm

This thread prompted me to look up what Robin Hobb is up to - there's going to be another trilogy of Fitz/Fool books! :-D

And there was a prequel novella released last year recounting the story of the piebald prince!

Amazon may be taking some of my money soon. >_>

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:20 pm

Want to give Disc World a read because I played the Second Sega Saturn game as a kid and it was awesome. Plus the covers just make the book look so enticing,

Shouldn't judge a book by it's cover and all that, but everytime someone suggests me a book I think it sucks so I'm just going with my gut from now on.
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:30 pm

I'm okay with that! Can't wait to see how he describes the Turtle (I already knew their was a turtle before I saw the cover :P )
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:16 pm

gandalf the red wrote:You're better off starting from the first book. :P

Lies. The first two books (Light Fantastic and the Colour of Magic) are a horrible introduction to the series. By all means go back and read them later (preferably before you read any other Rincewind-related novels), but if I was starting the series I'd not start with those.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

keera_envenomed
Denim Demon

Postby keera_envenomed » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:46 pm

gandalf the red wrote:
WorMzy wrote:

Lies. The first two books (Light Fantastic and the Colour of Magic) are a horrible introduction to the series. By all means go back and read them later (preferably before you read any other Rincewind-related novels), but if I was starting the series I'd not start with those.

I read them when they came out so I wouldn't know about that as I haven't gone back and re-read them since. I'm always one for at starting at the beginning though. :P

I find it is always best. I came across someone the other day that had missed the first episode of Game of Thrones and then was shocked to discover several episodes later that Cersei and Jaime are siblings!
2017 Gigs (here so I remember to go)

17/06 - Guns N' Roses - London
15/07 - Saor - London
10/08 - 13/08 - Bloodstock

Fjar
Denim Demon

Postby Fjar » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:48 pm

Mort is the best Discworld book. Good place to start.
Luke_X wrote:Got a ruler out and I measure it about 11 inches. Which pretty good value in my mind.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:10 am

Haldamir319 wrote:This thread prompted me to look up what Robin Hobb is up to - there's going to be another trilogy of Fitz/Fool books! :-D

And there was a prequel novella released last year recounting the story of the piebald prince!

I wasn't so keen on the Farseer trilogy (Annoyingly so because my band is named the same XD). I enjoyed the first one and the second one had its moments but I thought the third one was awful.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Haldamir319
Leather Rebel

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:15 am

Bisset wrote:
Haldamir319 wrote:This thread prompted me to look up what Robin Hobb is up to - there's going to be another trilogy of Fitz/Fool books! :-D

I wasn't so keen on the Farseer trilogy (Annoyingly so because my band is named the same XD). I enjoyed the first one and the second one had its moments but I thought the third one was awful.

The Tawny Man trilogy is better imo. (Same characters, 15 years on). I found Fitz to be quite a whiny so-and-so in the first trilogy.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:38 am

I've heard better things about it. What got me was a potentially interesting magic idea (The Skill and the Wit) became dull and uninspired quite quickly.
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:37 pm

gandalf the red wrote:
WorMzy wrote:

I read them when they came out so I wouldn't know about that as I haven't gone back and re-read them since. I'm always one for at starting at the beginning though. :P

You should, they're good books. :yes:

They're just in a different style to the later books. They're more Tolkien-y, than Pratchett-y, if that makes sense, and a lot of the things he puts in the first two book are completely disregarded in later books, like (SPOILERS AHEAD)

Wizards can't say "8"
Death has minions (one showed up to try and claim Rincewind when he fell off the world)
There's a mountain where "real" dragons still exist -- not just swamp dragons
Cohen is married
Trolls get bigger and lazier as they age and become hills with "caves" (where Cohen gets the giant diamond for his dentures).

(END SPOILERS)

There's probably more things that I've forgotten.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Tet
Denim Demon

Postby Tet » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:05 pm

WorMzy wrote:The first two books (Light Fantastic and the Colour of Magic) are a horrible introduction to the series.

Interesting. They're the only two I've read, and I didn't bother with any of the others because they didn't impress me and I didn't like his writing style.
CH3NO2 -- It's the only way to be sure
You laugh at me because I'm different. I pity you, you're all the same...

Davros
Denim Demon

Postby Davros » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:37 pm

I've just finished Game Of Thrones book 4. It was tough gong in places but well worth it for those last few chapters!
False metal is an enemy of the Daleks! EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE!!!

slayerslays
Consort of the Beast

Postby slayerslays » Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:01 pm

Having just returned from the bowel movement thread I was reminded of what a very funny book Skagheads by Irvine Welsh is- it's a prequel to Trainspotting.
All his books are good- someone told me that he lives with the people he writes about when researching- I think that he just adds a touch of surrealism though and it works- the Scots dialect can be a bit tough going at first but you get used to it.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:29 am

Currently reading the first book in the breaking world series by David dalglish. Its nice to go back in the timeline of the world from his half orcs books, but I really just want the new half orcs book :lol: don't care about any of the characters in this the way I care about the characters from the half orcs series. Not yet anyway, I think there's 3 or 4 books in this series, all to be released this year.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:30 pm

Currently reading James Herbert's "The Rats". Halfway through and so far so good!
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock