Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby kanet666 » Fri May 24, 2013 1:57 pm

Rumour has it Mirror's Edge 2 is going to be announced at E3.
Steam = Starchild
Facebook

Catch me at:
20/6/20 - Rammstein - Coventry

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Fri May 24, 2013 2:10 pm

CrappyMike wrote:But the majority of people dont want a console that only plays games, they want one device for games movies music and tv.
Most people already have TV and music players. I can understand things like DVD players in them can be useful, but most people already have one of those too.
Besides which, the console would be around the £400 mark without all those extra features
Explain. It costs more with less in it? Or do you mean if they actually focused on improving the quality of gaming?
so its really a great thing for lots of people, instead of buying everything seperate.
So many things try and do everything and do them poorly. Tablets, for me are just a big mess of nothing particularly special, they have a million apps that are mostly just throwaway rubbish. If designers focused on making something do one thing well rather than everything OK, then we'd have less of this homogeneous rubbish that companies like Apple are spilling out.
Im not saying choosing a pc instead of a console is dumb im saying bitching about a console for being more like a pc then singing the praises of pc's is.
This has been explained many times. Its the worst aspects of a PC that are being copied, not the good ones. That makes the Xbox One obsolete before it comes out

We get it, you like the announcement, but for so many people it looks like an appaling machine. There's no need to get so defensive all the time.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Fri May 24, 2013 2:40 pm

Netflix on the xbox is pretty cool, I have to admit, but I have never ever met someone that uses an xbox solely for music. As for tv, what's the fucking point? You still have to pay for a Sky subscription, and knowing Microsoft, you're probably only going to be able to access Sky with a gold account, which you're still going to have to pay for.

So you're essentially jumping through more than one hoop to do something the tv and pc already do better. The main reason people like gaming consoles is because they're cheaper and easier to adapt to than pc's and therefore more convenient. Microsofts new plans are looking very much like they're scrapping convenience for squeezing every fucking penny out of you.
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Fri May 24, 2013 6:53 pm

kanet666 wrote:Rumour has it Mirror's Edge 2 is going to be announced at E3.

What a crap game.

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Fri May 24, 2013 8:23 pm

Just cancelled my xbox live. Oddly liberating. Now I just need GTA V announced for the PC then I've no reason to go back :D

Also, coming to a living room near you soon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nwJ8spAqEg

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Fri May 24, 2013 10:58 pm

Jobdone wrote:
CrappyMike wrote:But the majority of people dont want a console that only plays games

Judging by just about every single person I've seen talk about it, yes. Yes they do.

Gamers on the internet are a very small minority of console owners now though, thats the thing. Microsoft could make a dedicated console but its not what people really want. I would buy it, but im no longer microsofts main target market. Im not being defensive it just irritates me that people trash companies like microsoft and EA for every little thing, the sense of entitlement that so many people have these days is ridiculous. If microsoft made a dedicated console they'd complain that it didnt have netflix or other apps :?

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Fri May 24, 2013 11:57 pm

Got dynasty warriors 8 preordered. At a certain point you have to think the people who say its the same game every time will eventually be right. This might be the one. It looks very similar to 7 but apparently the levels are huge.

Fisheth24
Consort of the Beast

Postby Fisheth24 » Sat May 25, 2013 12:19 am

Not been here for a bit, the conversations still on the Xbox One? God, such a decisive lot around here. :P

I've kinda had a major think and my thoughts about it so far.

The good; PC gamers will be getting better ports because of the x86 architecture in the machine, updated graphics for consoles and potentially less stalling hardware development now (because of the change to x86 architecture)

Also liking the look of the new controller. Reminds me of the old Xbox S controller that felt more normal to the hands then that clunky beast that was the original one.

The bad: Kinect being used again. I have concerns about what data will be transferred (if any) due to the console being off. It's quite Orwellian to me. Big Brother is watching you and all that, it would be a marketing reps dream, features at launch the UK market can't even use because of deals with companies and networks like ESPN

Not really relevant to the Xbox One thing, but picked up the two Alan Wake games on the Humble Bundle sale for £2.50 (DRM free. So no steam)

Thought someone might be interested. :lol:

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sat May 25, 2013 6:55 pm

so i made one of them there youtube things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VLAhhqH1t-4

UtopianBlaster7
Denim Demon

Postby UtopianBlaster7 » Sat May 25, 2013 7:04 pm

Playing through Super Metroid on the Snes. Wall jumping can be such a cunt sometimes
Wise Guy

peypea
Denim Demon

Postby peypea » Sat May 25, 2013 8:37 pm

Had a go on the new Deadpool game today that comes out on the 25th June. It's brilliant, Deadpool lives up to his character, his dialogue is written fantastically, and the fighting is really fun and well done. I'd strongly suggest it to anyone who likes silly shoot 'em ups.
Turbo wrote:One day I'll get around to tasting Pussy.

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Mon May 27, 2013 11:54 am

A couple of days since I found out about it, and I'm still fapping over the upcoming remake of one of the best FPS games ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV-RD6_GXZ8

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Mon May 27, 2013 12:42 pm

Johnny Tightlips wrote:A couple of days since I found out about it, and I'm still fapping over the upcoming remake of one of the best FPS games ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FV-RD6_GXZ8

That looks like insanely good fun!

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Mon May 27, 2013 4:12 pm

I seriously can't wait!

A play through of multiplayer-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWhsZAhfyqc

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Mon May 27, 2013 4:22 pm

Johnny Tightlips wrote:I seriously can't wait!

A play through of multiplayer-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWhsZAhfyqc

That looks like a modern graphics update of a time when FPSs weren't thoroughly up their own arses and were generally more fun. Never played the original Rise of the Triad, but it looks like my cuppa tea.

SOLD!