Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby mikeftw » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:42 am

Even the PC version of GTA 5 is gonna suck the game fails that hard

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:14 am

fluffymoo wrote:Dick hating feminists are everywhere these days.

http://www.vg247.com/2014/06/11/ubisoft ... ble-women/

Assassin’s Creed: Unity, let me remind you, is being worked on by nine development teams and has been in the works for a couple of years.

Doesn't mean shit, a lot of games have been worked on by more than 9 development teams, and in the works for a couple of years? The PS4 dev kits haven't been out for more than a couple of years, and before that Black Flag was being rushed out. We all remember that that shit was shown at last years E3 right?

Basically stirring shit up. New gen game is gonna mean a whole new shit load of development, and also means the chances of just porting old female characters from previous games is likely nigh impossible.

I mean, it sucks there isn't a female version for those that want to play, but on the other hand, fuck you for your shitty article whoever wrote that.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:19 am

mikeftw wrote:Even the PC version of GTA 5 is gonna suck the game fails that hard

CrappyMike is the only one round here who is allowed to be that wrong
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:43 pm

kanet666 wrote:
Turbo wrote:Collecting the flags and other shit in Assassins Creed Brotherhood. Why I do this I have no idea.

I did that on AC, ACII, ACIII but really couldn't be bothered in Revelations. The worst game of the ones I've played imo.

I think a bit of me now knows why. Whilst I do like Constantinople as a setting, the map is completely featureless and gloomy. Dark blue, greys and black. I understand that I only need to find 50, and then the last 50 appear as icons on the map. Ive just done ten, from a guide and even the guide isn't helping me that much.

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:24 pm

My general summary of E3 so far: mainstream gaming has fucking stagnated.

I watched bits and pieces of Microsoft and Sony's conferences and got bored by the veritable stream of grey, brown and over the top, chiseled seriousness. I watched Ninty's digital conference thing and was, admittedly, utterly enamoured - yes, they are milking well established franchises, but fuck, at least their was an ounce of creativity and wonder in the way they were doing it.

Then Square... Final Fantasy Type 0 as a console release? Really? Christ.

Ultimately, I do think there are lots of interesting things across the board. But there is also a slightly weird and depressing feeling in the realisation that the things that really got me going were either rehashes of dated franchises (Smash Bros, MGSV, Yoshi's Wooly World, new Zelda thing) and remasters (mainly Grim Fandango, of course). It's a shame that none of the 'new' stuff really wowed me, though. I remember first seeing stuff like Shenmue or Jet Set Radio and being utterly floored... I didn't really get that feeling this year, although the new Zelda was close.

I'm probably going to buy a Wii U and PS TV sounds intriguing, mind.

tl;dr - Sega should start making good games again.

Bearstock
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Bearstock » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:14 pm

Does anyone actually give a monkeys if they're character is male or female?

On a side note, I'm liking Smindas' Rant List. Good work fella :D
http://www.last.fm/user/Jax_87
https://play.spotify.com/user/jaxmet87/playlist/4FLRE6iQmLWa3PdBII0Jl5

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:38 pm

With the execution sequences being as they are, I forget everything. Apparently there is a story arch going on. Im just pleased to push a hidden blade through someones mouth and out the top of their head.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:46 pm

been playing the destiny alpha for a while, its damn good. not even encountered any bugs which is impressive. you can also dance, so i am buying the game :lol:

i'll be streaming it for a little while if anyone is interested.
http://www.twitch.tv/crappymike

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:44 pm

Bearstock wrote:Does anyone actually give a monkeys if they're character is male or female?

Yes. It doesn't affect me personally, but there is something fundamentally messed up with games where the character is meant to be a blank slate of the player - but can only be male. So, for instance, CoD and the multiplayer Assassin Creed announcement where you can only play as males sends out a pretty firm message to female gamers of "your autonomy doesn't matter in gaming". Which is, of course, outdated and ludicrous seeing as it's an increasingly even split of male to female as far as audience goes.

Bearstock wrote:On a side note, I'm liking Smindas' Rant List. Good work fella :D

Cheers mate!

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sat Jun 14, 2014 4:57 am

I've never really given a toss about whether the player-character is male or not in games. If you can't create your own character, I don't see it as a blank slate, or a representation of myself. You're just playing as a character in the story. I've never been overly fussed as to whether that character is male or female - I enjoyed Tomb Raider as much as I did LA Noire, for example.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sat Jun 14, 2014 12:53 pm

Not a fan of AC multiplayer. I think its something I could perhaps get into if there were a group of us. I only have the three day trial as you have to pay for this which is also a bit on the shit side.

On a side note, the achievements are far too easy for far too much gamerscore. I played this for perhaps 2 hours yesterday and picked up 130G. Where single player achievements are worth nothing and take a bit to get - for example the 100% sync for all missions.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:44 pm

So me and a friend are going to butcher some randoms on AoEII HD controlling the same team. Im the villager side and he's going to be the army side. Just a bit worried how much we'll suck because we haven't played it for over 10 years. :lol:

Edit - we're a pair of amateurs. Skype call and everything. :lol:

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:52 pm

UFC is out in a few days. couple of guys from work have been talking shit so i am going to have to give them a lesson :lol: none of them have bothered with the demo because "i've played the other one" funny thing is, there are 4 must play MMA games, UFC undisputed 2009, 2010 and 3 (they decided not to do it yearly after the first two) and EA sports MMA, and this plays like none of them. it has similarities to both undisputed 3 and EA MMA, but its kind of like the two had a baby. the submission system is entirely new, the grappling and striking systems have been tweaked, and having played the demo means i am going to smash every one of them :lol:

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:27 am

Started ACIII tonight. So far so good. Took the time out to play the board games which were pretty cool, yet easy to understand and ultimately win. Just got off the boat so I really am not far. Another stupid batch of MP achievements up for grabs if I was inclined to purchase a Uplay or whatever it is account (which I am not). However I am feeling strongly about buying the dlc for brotherhood/revelations and if III turns out to be good then possibly this too. Hopefully it will because it will be the last AC game I play on the 360 as I intend to get Black Flag and Unity on the xbone.

I have decided to leave the house tomorrow. I managed to pick up 1000 gamerscore in a week. :lol:

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:44 am

Picked up Injustice last week and nearly finished it after 2 gos. Generic superhero beat 'em up really. The story is kinda shit but the "Super Moves" are usually completely over the top and hilarious.
Also bought Deadpool again as it was only $22 and I fancied another play through.

Forgot to mention earlier, by the way.. I returned Murdered: Soul Suspect within a week of buying it. Overall it had the potential to be a really good game, but niggling things got in the way. For example, you could only select something if you looked at it from the right angle (despite being directly in front of it, looking down at it), which meant sneaking up behind a demon and executing it was a ridiculously awkward task - they then kill you pretty quickly and you then get to sit through a loading screen to take you back to the previous checkpoint, I had enough after being killed by the same demon 4 times, and having to go back and kill the 2 before it again and again.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock