Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Turbo
Denim Demon

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby Turbo » Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:31 pm

Angry Joes top 10 disappointing games of 2014 harboured no surprises. :lol:

Worst part about it, I rarely disagree with what the guy says about certain games and ill still end up playing half of them. Apart from number 1, which never appealed to begin with.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:05 am

Advanced warfare and titanfall were both good games that delivered on what was expected of them. Advanced warfare was the most change we've had in a cod game for a while but it was still cod, which everyone should have expected. Titanfall was low on content but as a multiplayer only game that was to be expected, so I don't agree that either of those disappointed.
I haven't watched the video yet so I don't know his reasons for including them, I will watch it tomorrow.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:56 pm

Completed Transistor the other day. Short, but excellent. Dunno if it quite measures up to Bastion's story, but it kicks Bastion's gameplay down a flight of stairs.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:30 am

Potato-Jim wrote:I'm only getting to play Farcry 3 now.

It's really good. I could lose days to it. I take it the 4th one is better?

From what I've heard, you could either lose hours upon hours playing Far Cry 4, or 15 minutes. I'm keen to play it but waiting for the price to drop.

Picked up the "Complete Edition" of Bioshock Infinite today. I'd got part way through it just after its release, but didn't bring it to Australia with me. Decided I'd best just start again instead of trying to remember the controls and not knowing what's going on.
Holy fuck I forgot how fun and beautiful that game is. Already nearly back to where I left off :lol:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:40 am

Man, spoilerinos for Far Cry 4 but I do love one thing I've heard

[SPOILERS]
At the start of the game, the guy's like "Wait here" and buggers off to do something, and you see all the fucked up shit happening and you're meant to escape. However if you just wait there for like 10 minutes, the guy comes back and you keep having a lovely conversation, you do what you went there for, and the game ends. I love that they coded that in.
[/SPOILERS]

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:57 am

Precisely what I meant by saying you could complete it in 15 mins :lol:
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Davros
Denim Demon

Postby Davros » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:22 pm

I fancy Advanced Warfare as it's got Kevin Spacey in it. What is Far Cry about? I've heard good things!
False metal is an enemy of the Daleks! EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE EXTERMINATE!!!

Luke_X
Denim Demon

Postby Luke_X » Fri Jan 23, 2015 11:17 pm

CoD Advanced Warfare for £25 in Tesco on Xbox one. Now all I need is that zombie dlc and I'll be happy.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sat Jan 24, 2015 1:51 am

Finished the main story of Bioshock Infinite as well as the first episode of the Buried at Sea DLC. Going to do episode two tonight.
Really enjoyed the main story and love how the DLC ties into it.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:13 am

I decided to start the collectables on gta 5 which is often the thing I hate the most in GTA and other games. Well that or the jumps which are also very boring. Did the ones in the submarine and rather enjoyed it. Did all 30 in one sitting and collected the sub parts while I was at it. Today I might do the spaceship ones.

Darkweasel
Denim Demon

Postby Darkweasel » Sat Jan 31, 2015 6:36 pm

Right. I have virtually zero knowledge about computer games so I need something explaining to me.
I just saw an advert for an upcoming game called Evolve. It doesn't get released anywhere until February the 10th but on the advert it states that the game has won 60 awards.

How, basically?

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:46 pm

I'll give you a tenner if you give me an award.

I've been replaying Resident Evil 2 on a PSX emulator (pcsxr). Bugger me I've gotten bad at console games. :lol:

I'm about an hour in, and I'm not doing too badly. It's giving me a nice feeling of nostalgia.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

thehairyone
Denim Demon

Postby thehairyone » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:41 pm

Darkweasel wrote:Right. I have virtually zero knowledge about computer games so I need something explaining to me.
I just saw an advert for an upcoming game called Evolve. It doesn't get released anywhere until February the 10th but on the advert it states that the game has won 60 awards.

How, basically?

Reviewers will get advance copies sent out to them, in time for them to be considered in the awards. With every shitty little website giving out awards, and in many cases different reviewers for the same site/magazine having their own awards it's dead easy to pick up a few dozen by sneezing.

Others can give a better perspective, but the videogames "journalism" industry is very corrupt - if reviewers don't give out good reviews, awards and scores then BAM! No more advance copies for you! No more press invites, nothing. It's extremely hard to get noticed as an independent reviewer with so many people doing it, so many, particularly the larger sites and paper magazines, will do anything to avoid offending the studios so they don't get cut off.

Killing_time
Paster of Muppets

Postby Killing_time » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:49 pm

Just downloaded that Life Is Strange game on PS4 after everyone is saying how brilliant it is! Will start it tomorrow i reckon.

Death to Power Pop!! It should go down with the sinking ship that is Download festival.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 11:07 pm

WorMzy wrote:I'll give you a tenner if you give me an award.

I've been replaying Resident Evil 2 on a PSX emulator (pcsxr). Bugger me I've gotten bad at console games. :lol:

I'm about an hour in, and I'm not doing too badly. It's giving me a nice feeling of nostalgia.

Finished in at 3 hours, 6 minutes for Leon, scenario A. Not a bad time considering I've not played in donkeys years. :lol:
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson