Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
JamieH
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby JamieH » Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:44 pm

So the Titanfall 2... Umm I mean the CoD Black Ops 3 trailer looks like the same old shit again, which is hardly surprising. Would be nice to see them do something new with the franchise, but you can hardly blame them for sticking with the same stuff whenever every kid goes mental for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58Pspqx0XGs

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 9:07 pm

WorMzy wrote:Also started a new game on Project Zomboid, but I can see my interest slipping already. Every game is the same.

Well, I've not played Zomboid since, so there goes that. :lol:

I've fired up the PSX emulator and have been playing through Legend of Dragoon. I'm just heading to Hoax to defend against Sandora's offensive. I can't wait for Rose to show up.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:22 pm

Just found my Nintendo Gameboy Advance SP. As far as I know, I haven't used it since the original DS came out in 2005.

Turned it on.

Still has charge.

Nintendo technology.

Now if only I knew where the charger was. :lol:
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:28 am

It's looking seriously likely that Silent Hills is cancelled. Shit. :(

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:54 am

Finally got around to hitting the GTA5 single player instead of just hitting friends with hammers online.

It's fucking great holy shit. The slow start to San Andreas, and generally awful GTA4, they've fixed themselves right up with this. It's fun, it starts quick, and the characters so far are actually interesting as fuck. They've all got personality and emotions and motivations. It's great.

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:02 pm

VizardAmata wrote:It's looking seriously likely that Silent Hills is cancelled. Shit. :(

Yep its official now apparently.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:52 pm

I'm bitterly disappointed... I don't what the hell happened between Konami and Kojima, but Konami are seriously digging themselves a deep hole at the moment.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:20 pm

From what I read, Kojima was more interested in getting on with Metal Gear Solid.
Sucks, as I really liked the look of the PT demo they put out, and was definitely going to check out the full game once I upgrade.

Joe, I'm also playing through the GTA V main story, but only because my PS3 has gone screwy and won't recognise me as the creator of any of the save data. So I'm in an annoying limbo where my data is there, but I can't use it..
Not that I'm complaining too much, as the games I've completed and kept are fun as hell, so I'm actually kind of happy to play through them again.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:23 pm

I'm really curious what the story behind the really rather brutal falling out between Kojima and Konami. Whatever happened, Konami have handled it very badly - even if it was down to Kojima making one eccentric demand too many.

Still, apparently Konami have also taken themselves off the New York stock exchange as of today. I think they might be making a conscious effort to move away from being a games publisher and presumably focus on their pachinko business, or whatever their other business arm is. If that's the case, it'll be the end of an era and a very sad end to a once great company.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:28 pm

Jobdone wrote:Finally got around to hitting the GTA5 single player instead of just hitting friends with hammers online.

It's fucking great holy shit. The slow start to San Andreas, and generally awful GTA4, they've fixed themselves right up with this. It's fun, it starts quick, and the characters so far are actually interesting as fuck. They've all got personality and emotions and motivations. It's great.

GTA V is my favourite GTA. I have sunk 20 days and 19 hours into online and a fair bit of time (although nowhere near that) on single player.

Potato-Jim

Postby Potato-Jim » Tue Apr 28, 2015 1:27 am

Steam tried to implement a purchasing system for Steam Workshop mods and charge for all mods, and then retracted it 4 days later when enough people complained :lol:

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:45 am

Potato-Jim wrote:Steam tried to implement a purchasing system for Steam Workshop mods and charge for all mods, and then retracted it 4 days later when enough people complained :lol:

:lol: It's made for a great circlejerk. I've been loving it over the past couple of days.

Also their "We're removing it" message it great. They never say "It was dumb", they just talk about how this is the wrong iteration, and my favourite one, the sob story about how it was totally in peoples interest:

"our main goals were to allow mod makers the opportunity to work on their mods full time if they wanted to"

25% of the cost (Usually about 3-4 dollars, so about a dollar p/ download) goes to the modder. Yeah man, quit your day job, you can be making literally tens of dollars.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:39 am

Yeah, the cut they got was the main issue, but it wasn't the only one. The way they tried to implement it was horrible and brought a host of awful problems. Glad they pulled it.

JamieH

Postby JamieH » Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:45 pm

For some daft reason I've decided to try 100% Cs:Go. Let's see how far though the 167 achievements I get before I give up :lol:

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:13 pm

To be honest, I don't know the full details of how the Steam Workshop thing was executed, but I would say in general I'm pro modders being able to charge for their content. Yes, the Steam cut of costs was probably a bit messed up and needs to be better implemented. But I do think some modders should be rewarded for the sheer amount of work they put in to what they do; if it wasn't for the modding community, there would be nothing like Dota2 or League, two of the most commercially successful games out there. Modding is an amazing breeding ground for dev talent.