Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby RedTeamWins » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:33 am

Fable was pretty damn good and a massive improvement over the origional but it's still far too short. I think that alot of developers are scared of making a full length RPG because it would alienate alot of the casual gamers that they're all too keen to please nowadays. Even Oblivion can be clocked in a few days if you really push it and I doubt Fallout will be any larger, in scale or in narrative.
What I did like in Fable2 is the way that morality is portrayed, It's not all about being nice to people for good points (although that does play a part), instead it's about sacrafice, meaning that if you performed noting but good deeds you would end up scarred, broken and alone, which puts an interesting twist on it.

WickedPrayer
Powermetal Child

Postby WickedPrayer » Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:10 pm

I couldn't wait to get Fable2, and i admit it's awesome, but i agree that it is too short.
I guess it's back to playing Oblivion again =D
They can't stop us, let 'em try, for heavy metal we will die!

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:36 pm

RedTeamWins wrote:Fable was pretty damn good and a massive improvement over the origional but it's still far too short. I think that alot of developers are scared of making a full length RPG because it would alienate alot of the casual gamers that they're all too keen to please nowadays. Even Oblivion can be clocked in a few days if you really push it and I doubt Fallout will be any larger, in scale or in narrative.
What I did like in Fable2 is the way that morality is portrayed, It's not all about being nice to people for good points (although that does play a part), instead it's about sacrafice, meaning that if you performed noting but good deeds you would end up scarred, broken and alone, which puts an interesting twist on it.

I don't like how my hero is already a fat bastard just because he enjoys the odd beef jerky, and that the only way to stop him gaining weight is to eat loads and loads of celery. Somehow all the running and sword fighting doesn't help :rolleyes: Good game so far though, haven't decided on a decent look for my character yet though because he's neither good or evil and I only have shit weapons

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Thu Oct 30, 2008 4:53 pm

Fallout tommorow! :rockin: :drool:

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Thu Oct 30, 2008 5:08 pm

I've cracked open HM:Island now, and I'm not too fond of the control system, it's far too finicky for my liking. That said, it's a great game, and another good addition to the Harvest Moon series. :yes:
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

NightEyes
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby NightEyes » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:33 pm

WarHammer 40k : Dawn Of War for me. Not bad for a RTS about Space Marines and Orks. If I ever played the table top game I would choose Space Marines as I find it hard to get one killed. Some are just walking armor carrying a massive gun.
Orks have 'da' best comedy value, as they murderous, stupid and green. when you click them you hear them saying, 'We getin' shot up' , 'Green is best' and my favorite 'Orks, Orks, orks, ....' :D

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Fri Oct 31, 2008 3:49 pm

Just got Red Alert 3. Was going to download it, out of protest of SecuROM, but alas, my internet is too shite at the moment; I've been getting lightning fast speeds of 25kb/s for the past 3 days. :lol:

Also got MySims Kingdoms, because the first MySims was epic.

Will probably play RA:3 first.
~ Adam Jenson

Metal_Moses
Paster of Muppets

Postby Metal_Moses » Fri Oct 31, 2008 4:20 pm

RedTeamWins wrote:Fable was pretty damn good and a massive improvement over the origional but it's still far too short. I think that alot of developers are scared of making a full length RPG because it would alienate alot of the casual gamers that they're all too keen to please nowadays. Even Oblivion can be clocked in a few days if you really push it and I doubt Fallout will be any larger, in scale or in narrative.

I thoguht it was a absolutley brilliant game, but yes too too too short i completedthe main story in like 3 days and i normally take forever to comlete games. granted theres still loads to do after youve comleted the main story line and you can play it again as and it will be a bit different, but i cant be arsed at the moment haha i decided to comlete Call Of Duty3 again in a couple of days before i give the x-box back :P

:flame:
How I needed you, how I grieve now you're gone, in my dreams I see you, i awake so alone.

Ulfrinn
Definitely Not Nu

Postby Ulfrinn » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:24 pm

Fable 2, Fallout 3, GoW2, WOTLK and Left4Dead.

Need I say more. And I still need to steal Dead Space of a Friend and Farcry2 taunts me with its loveliness. Stupid videogames XD
Folk metal till I die.

2fukkinmetal
Consort of the Beast

Postby 2fukkinmetal » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:48 pm

Help!! I'm addicted to Fallout 3. I haven't spent this much time playing a computer game since i was 15 or something!!!

Luke-
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Luke- » Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:54 pm

WIll a VGA to DVI adaptor work if about 12 prongs as missing from the DVI bit.
This is important to my being able to play Oblivion.
"The thing about numbers is... there's loads of them."

NightEyes
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby NightEyes » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:01 pm

2fukkinmetal wrote:Help!! I'm addicted to Fallout 3. I haven't spent this much time playing a computer game since i was 15 or something!!!

It's a great looking game as I watch my mate play the opening, in Vault 101. I love the colour system as everything is dark, dingy and slightly rusty look. The Vats systems is amazing, as you can target different parts of your enemy's body and they actually show the effects of being, say shot in the hand.

Stepping out of Vault 101 (with the Oblivion option to edit your whole character) into the World of Fallout 3 is breath taking. What a huge change and the grapics look top notch without suffering from huge load in times.

I will be get this game for my PC and hopefully Bethesda Softworks might release a mod package as they did for TES III & IV.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:31 pm

Still C&C:RA3. Finished Soviets, now I'm halfway through Allies.

Gotta say, the acting is utter shite. =/
~ Adam Jenson

Razgreiz
Consort of the Beast

Postby Razgreiz » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:01 pm

WorMzy wrote:Still C&C:RA3. Finished Soviets, now I'm halfway through Allies.

Gotta say, the acting is utter shite. =/

i would agree, and gemma atkinsons voice makes me wana slice her in 2 with a giant rusty hatchet.

The bird that sets up the soviet missions on the other hand... oh my

dobbsey
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby dobbsey » Tue Nov 04, 2008 7:33 pm

Im really just looking forward to GEARS OF WAR 2 right now :)