Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
aaron_stacey
Leather Rebel

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby aaron_stacey » Sat May 16, 2009 6:36 pm

Fear 2 is still giving me headeches lol
"let us ponder on the meaning of life" "no no no holy fuck no!"

CrapyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrapyMike » Mon May 18, 2009 11:39 am

i just finishe 50 cent blood on the sand, its the most ridiculous thing ever :lol:
back into saints row 2 now that i managed to get the dlc to work, playing through it on hardcore difficulty now :guns:
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Is there an actual science of giving medical diagnosis by sniffing poo? I sometimes have a bit of a wiff from the paper and get curious if it smells different than usual.

http://www.last.fm/user/CrappyMike

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Mon May 18, 2009 4:21 pm

CrapyMike wrote:i just finishe 50 cent blood on the sand, its the most ridiculous thing ever :lol:

Isn't that the 50-cent-takes-on-the-Taliban game? I honestly haven't got a clue how the first one deserved a sequel... :rolleyes:

wintermourn
Denim Demon

Postby wintermourn » Mon May 18, 2009 4:23 pm

RedTeamWins wrote:
CrapyMike wrote:i just finishe 50 cent blood on the sand, its the most ridiculous thing ever :lol:

Isn't that the 50-cent-takes-on-the-Taliban game? I honestly haven't got a clue how the first one deserved a sequel... :rolleyes:

yerp it is :lol:
Jobdone wrote:I kissed a decent amount of men last night.

Malefic
Consort of the Beast

Postby Malefic » Wed May 20, 2009 10:40 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF3fED8EXl4

The only reason I haven't sold my PS3.

SotC was fucking amazing, probably best game on the PS2. Excited about this already, gonna try and avoid it when it comes into work.

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Wed May 20, 2009 6:22 pm

Still hooked on L4D, but I've started playing The Longest Journey as well - I'm not convinced whether it's worth completing or not though. It's a tad slow with all the conversations, but I do like the story.

Freakshow Nightmare
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Freakshow Nightmare » Wed May 20, 2009 7:41 pm

I'm reading this thread and salivating . My computer's dead at the moment, so I've lost contact with all my precious games, Crysis, Fear 2, Fallout 3, ALL OF THEM :(
"Reign of terror, on the seas,
will bring these posers to their knees"

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Wed May 20, 2009 10:05 pm

Anyone else noticed how the GI Joe film looks suspiciously like crackdown?

WoRLoKKeD
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby WoRLoKKeD » Wed May 20, 2009 10:12 pm

Thought this might interest some people (If you haven't seen it yet)
Team Fortress 2: Meet The Spy!
Kaahl wrote:Metal Hammer is actually Finnish for "Metal, My Arse!"

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Wed May 20, 2009 10:29 pm

I don't know if this has already been discussed but seeing as there are a good few PC gamers on here, what are your specs? I'm currently running-

Intel Core i7 920 @ 2.66GHz
Kingston 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz RAM
Sapphire HD 4850 X2 2GB GDDR3 Quad DVI HDTV Out
Samsung SpinPoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB HDD (+2 smaller backup HDDs)
M-Audio Audiophile 2496
Coolermaster HAF 922

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Wed May 20, 2009 11:22 pm

Wow, an i7 user. What do you think, worth the effort of upgrading your mobo, or stick with Core 2?

Sakura is made up of:
Mobo: nForce 680i SLI
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 @ 2.66GHz.
RAM: 3GB (2x1GB, 2x512MB Patriot DDR2 Bladed. Not sure what frequency they are, and I can't be arsed to restart to bios to find out.)
Graphics: 2x GeForce 8800GTX's @786MB RAM each (SLI-enabled).
Hard Drives: 2x Samsung 1TB HDD's in RAID 0 & 1x Generic 250GB HDD.

I only wish I had a 64-bit OS so that I could use all my RAM. I'm waiting to see how well Windows 7 fares before I make a decision about buying it though. XP Pro isn't supported by Microshaft anymore, and I barely trust 32-bit Vista to work with fully compatible drivers. My hopes aren't high for Windows 7, but hell's about due for a snow day.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Wed May 20, 2009 11:32 pm

WorMzy wrote:Wow, an i7 user. What do you think, worth the effort of upgrading your mobo, or stick with Core 2?

Sakura is made up of:
Mobo: nForce 680i SLI
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8200 @ 2.66GHz.
RAM: 3GB (2x1GB, 2x512MB Patriot DDR2 Bladed. Not sure what frequency they are, and I can't be arsed to restart to bios to find out.)
Graphics: 2x GeForce 8800GTX's @786MB RAM each (SLI-enabled).
Hard Drives: 2x Samsung 1TB HDD's in RAID 0 & 1x Generic 250GB HDD.

I only wish I had a 64-bit OS so that I could use all my RAM. I'm waiting to see how well Windows 7 fares before I make a decision about buying it though. XP Pro isn't supported by Microshaft anymore, and I barely trust 32-bit Vista to work with fully compatible drivers. My hopes aren't high for Windows 7, but hell's about due for a snow day.

The i7 is pretty fucking blistering :lol: Definatly wait a bit for them to come down in price though, especially considering you'll have to get a new mobo and ideally new RAM (the i7's prefer DDR3 - and of course don't forget that DDR3 works in trio rather than dual channels, something I ALMOST forgot :lol: ).

My new landlord was chatting to me about some i7's he had been overclocking recently...actually managed to get a 920 to clock from 2.67Ghz to 4Ghz...before the mobo blew :rofl:

Best thing about my system by far is the GFX card though, its fucking mental. I ended up having the buy the Coolermaster case because it was the biggest case I could get hold of as the X2 models are SO big (being essentially 2 4850's welded together) that it wouldn't in any other case (it being too long!). The fact that it has 4 DVI outputs is pretty funny too...quad display anyone? :D

I still haven't tested it properly, but I think the most I've pushed it to is to turn every setting up to max on Far Cry 2 and turn every extra on...and it didn't even bat an eyelid :lol: load times were still mere seconds and didn't get even one nano-second of lag anywhere in the game.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Wed May 20, 2009 11:47 pm

Schweeet. How much did that set up cost you then, or do you try not to think about that? :P

If I turn SLI off, I can have up to four displays (two DVI ports per graphics card), but I barely have enough room on my desk for one monitor, let alone four. :lol:

Do you use any gaming peripherals? I have a Razer Lachesis Mouse, Destructor Mousemat, and Lycosa Mirror Special Edition Keyboard, and they're pretty nifty.
~ Adam Jenson

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Wed May 20, 2009 11:53 pm

WorMzy wrote:Schweeet. How much did that set up cost you then, or do you try not to think about that? :P

If I turn SLI off, I can have up to four displays (two DVI ports per graphics card), but I barely have enough room on my desk for one monitor, let alone four. :lol:

Do you use any gaming peripherals? I have a Razer Lachesis Mouse, Destructor Mousemat, and Lycosa Mirror Special Edition Keyboard, and they're pretty nifty.

Came to about £1100, but I actually paid £880 as I got 20% tax knocked off the total price (bought it via my parents company).

Nah bog standard peripherals for me I'm afraid! I think I mentioned a few pages back that I've never bothered with any gaming specific stuff, just stick to my Logitech keyboard and Microsoft Intellimouse (lasted me 8 years and counting!). I'm sure the gaming specific stuff is awesome to use and such, but I've been happy getting my gaming achievments/playing in top clans etc... with what I have :)

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Thu May 21, 2009 12:29 am

Ah well. If it does the job, it does the job, right?

I just got sick of cheap "tescos own" keyboards and mice not lasting more than ten minutes, so I splashed out on some high quality stuff. It doesn't make much difference to your gaming - if you have skill, you have skill - but the on-the-fly dpi switcher is a god send for games like TF2, where it's useful to switch between high and low dpi depending on your class.

Plus, I love the lighting effects. xD
~ Adam Jenson