Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
lars_ulrichs_blister
Denim Demon

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby lars_ulrichs_blister » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:13 pm

looks pretty....did i spy a couple of stargate's in there?
If God is black then he is Samuel L Jackson

Calibur
Denim Demon

Postby Calibur » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:19 pm

The problem with Guild Wars for me is a level cap at 20? It seems a bit low for me.

Anyone bought Arkham Asylum and can confirm the hype?

I played Dynasty Warriors for the first time yesterday- choatic fun, right down my street :D

Twaddlefish
Denim Demon

Postby Twaddlefish » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:53 pm

Calibur wrote:The problem with Guild Wars for me is a level cap at 20? It seems a bit low for me.

The low level cap was great. It makes you think about what skills you equip; it's about strategy rather than brute force. A well skilled level 15 can decimate a poor level 20.
Littlemissmetal wrote:Women are stupid, as a rule.

Latest review: Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:57 pm

Need. New. Games. Everything. Currently. Out. Is. Shit. :(

Unless Wolfenstein is any good? Just looks like yet-another-FPS to me.

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:54 pm

Demo of the new Batman game, Arkham Asylum is pretty good

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:06 am

RedTeamWins wrote:Need. New. Games. Everything. Currently. Out. Is. Shit. :(

Unless Wolfenstein is any good? Just looks like yet-another-FPS to me.

buy rez HD everyone needs to play that game
By this axe I rule

Calibur
Denim Demon

Postby Calibur » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:20 am

Twaddlefish wrote:
Calibur wrote:The problem with Guild Wars for me is a level cap at 20? It seems a bit low for me.

The low level cap was great. It makes you think about what skills you equip; it's about strategy rather than brute force. A well skilled level 15 can decimate a poor level 20.

True, but I', not one for PvP anyway, I've always been the more dungeon/raid type (not sure if they're in Guild Wars...)

It's more the game length issue. I've been playing WoW for months and only now am I approaching 80, where as a couple friends of mine who have Guild Wars barely took anytime to get to 20. I'd feel shortchanged some what- even your boxstandard RPG let's you go higher than that.

Twaddlefish
Denim Demon

Postby Twaddlefish » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:25 pm

Calibur wrote:It's more the game length issue. I've been playing WoW for months and only now am I approaching 80, where as a couple friends of mine who have Guild Wars barely took anytime to get to 20.

Noo, you're missing the point. 20 could be any arbitary number. Everyone's at Level 20 by about the 15th mission. BUT, you have pretty shit skills when you hit the max level. Say that capturing an elite skill is the equivalent of gaining a level, there are about 40 of the buggers to capture, per profession, which means that there are around 80 in total for each character (as you can capture for both your primary and secondary class). Although you can only use one in any one skill set, chaining together different skills makes all the difference.

The low level cap is to emphasis how important the correct set of skills are, especially in PvP. Say one build (a set of skills) becomes incredibly effective. Eventually, a player will put together a build that counters that first one which will spread, making that build redundant. To counter the counter, a new set is developed and comes into play. Ad infinitum.

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:47 pm

Unlocked Alterac Valley on WoW, Its better by far than the other battlegrounds and I probably prefer it to just about every other aspect of the game. Even though alliance is allways fighting at least 2 to 1, and occasionally 3 to 1, we keep coming soooo close to winning through sheer awesome tactics 8)

Calibur
Denim Demon

Postby Calibur » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:40 pm

Twaddlefish wrote:
Calibur wrote:It's more the game length issue. I've been playing WoW for months and only now am I approaching 80, where as a couple friends of mine who have Guild Wars barely took anytime to get to 20.

Noo, you're missing the point. 20 could be any arbitary number. Everyone's at Level 20 by about the 15th mission. BUT, you have pretty shit skills when you hit the max level. Say that capturing an elite skill is the equivalent of gaining a level, there are about 40 of the buggers to capture, per profession, which means that there are around 80 in total for each character (as you can capture for both your primary and secondary class). Although you can only use one in any one skill set, chaining together different skills makes all the difference.

The low level cap is to emphasis how important the correct set of skills are, especially in PvP. Say one build (a set of skills) becomes incredibly effective. Eventually, a player will put together a build that counters that first one which will spread, making that build redundant. To counter the counter, a new set is developed and comes into play. Ad infinitum.

Picking up skills- it's not really the same as levels is it? The problem with a system such as that is that I make a few bad decisions and by the sounds of it, my charachter will be completly ineffective. Then I have to go chasing after the other skills, where as in WoW I just visit the correct guy and I can just swap them around freely. I mean maybe we have differring views, but I really dislike systems that don't allow much flexibility for getting things wrong- yes I can go hunt down the other skills...but if I want to jump into the heat of things straight away, I visit the guy, jiggle things around. With the GW system by how you describe, it seems a chore just to be competetive.

Twaddlefish
Denim Demon

Postby Twaddlefish » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:15 am

Calibur wrote:Picking up skills- it's not really the same as levels is it? The problem with a system such as that is that I make a few bad decisions and by the sounds of it, my charachter will be completly ineffective. Then I have to go chasing after the other skills, where as in WoW I just visit the correct guy and I can just swap them around freely. I mean maybe we have differring views, but I really dislike systems that don't allow much flexibility for getting things wrong- yes I can go hunt down the other skills...but if I want to jump into the heat of things straight away, I visit the guy, jiggle things around. With the GW system by how you describe, it seems a chore just to be competetive.

Well, the idea is that you don't pick up these 'elite' skills until later in the game; the first portion is designed into getting to level 20. You can easily swap any and all skills out and adjust your attributes (which costs nothing, unlike WoW's system which is actually quite good anyway). You get 'normal' skills as quest rewards, and everytime you level up after 20 you get a 'skill point' which you use to buy skills (skills are spells, attacks, heals etc) from a vendor. I do agree with your last point, though; until you have specific skills you are pretty much useless in PvP.

Calibur
Denim Demon

Postby Calibur » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:38 pm

Twaddlefish wrote:
Well, the idea is that you don't pick up these 'elite' skills until later in the game; the first portion is designed into getting to level 20. You can easily swap any and all skills out and adjust your attributes (which costs nothing, unlike WoW's system which is actually quite good anyway). You get 'normal' skills as quest rewards, and everytime you level up after 20 you get a 'skill point' which you use to buy skills (skills are spells, attacks, heals etc) from a vendor. I do agree with your last point, though; until you have specific skills you are pretty much useless in PvP.

Hm, fair enough- I've never played the game and am going by worth of mouth and watching someone else play once, so I don't know all the ins and out, so sorry if I'm fumbling through this a bit :lol: But I dunno. It just doesn't seem to fit for me, but I guess it's a personal preference thing.

Sadly though, I still thinking no other paid MMORPG will ever challenge the dominance of WoW to threaten it seriously. The only one that possibly might is the Star Wars one but otherwise the other ones will be struggling to profit/not make such an impact. I do love WoW, but a bit of competition never hurt.

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:55 pm

Some genius tracked a dragon all the way into gadgetzan and caused all sorts of havok. Great fun.

xBERSERKERx
Denim Demon

Postby xBERSERKERx » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:18 pm

Can everyone add me please, even if i am a manowar fanboy :P

I MANOWARRIOR I

With Capital '' i's ''
Alex. wrote:This record better be as fit as Bezerker's ex's sister or I'm gonna be pissed.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:50 pm

Almost finished FFIII on DS. Just doing a bit of grinding before I tackle Eureka and then Xande. Current team is: Level 2 Ninja (Luneth, level 45), Level 1 Devout (Arc, level 46), Level 66 Red Mage (Refia, level 45) and Level 49 Dragoon (Ingus, level 46). Just switched Luneth from a level 99 Thief, and Arc from a level 99 Scholar, which is why their job level is so low.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson