Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
-Nephthys-
Lowly Peon

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby -Nephthys- » Mon Nov 23, 2009 12:18 pm

8) I'm going to admit to playing World of Warcraft atm...
Also:
Vampire: The Masquerade on pc
The occasional Motorstorm game with my brother on PS3 also
oh and i have an unhealthy obsession with Inkball haha

also on wii fit and sports resort haha but dont think that'd count :P

99hammy99
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby 99hammy99 » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:07 pm

wanted to buy the Saw video game via steam but its been delayed by 4 days.

and yes i have read reviews and know itll probably be shit but from what i've seen it looks like i might have some fun with it

NightEyes
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby NightEyes » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:34 am

Its seems like another night playing WarHammer 40k : Dark Crusade is in order. Back to the WAAAAAAGHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:45 am

If anybody gets a chance, play a platform game called TRINE, it's on PSN and also available to download via the usual places for you PC, it's really addictive

Noodle
I am the Law!

Postby Noodle » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:23 am

Solitaire's my bag! Hah, the newest game I own is Metal Gear Solid 3 on PS2. The console world connected to the internet since I last delved into the world of buying games
If it sounds good, listen to it
MetalBeast wrote: I got told off by the landlady for banging mine on the ceiling.
tranmerefan wrote:If there's one thing you can be guaranteed of, is that this forum complained about it. And we did.

NightEyes
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby NightEyes » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:17 pm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8373794.stm

It said games were sending an "erroneous" message that conflicts were waged without limits or that anything was acceptable in counter-terrorism operations.

"This is especially problematic in view of today's reality," said the study.

In particular, it said, few games it studied reflected the fact that those who "violate international humanitarian law end up as war criminals, not as winners".

Who pays these people to come up this this rot? :rolleyes:

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:25 pm

MW2 is awesome. Fifa '10 is awesome. Assassins Creed 2 is awesome. Left for Dead 2 is great.

I'm being spoilt atm.

NickBlake
Warrior of Metal

Postby NickBlake » Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:06 pm

NightEyes wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/8373794.stm

It said games were sending an "erroneous" message that conflicts were waged without limits or that anything was acceptable in counter-terrorism operations.

"This is especially problematic in view of today's reality," said the study.

In particular, it said, few games it studied reflected the fact that those who "violate international humanitarian law end up as war criminals, not as winners".

Who pays these people to come up this this rot? :rolleyes:

Well maybe they could use the money to get a sense of perspective:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2009/nov/24/human-rights-uk-role-torture
i_am_a_viking wrote:Do me, do me!!

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:55 pm

I`l be buying Left4Dead2 sometime this week for the 360. I still play the first one a lot now 6 months after buying it, probably the greatest game ever!

Trollman
Warrior of Metal

Postby Trollman » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:23 am

Arma 2 .. :B

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:08 pm

'kay, Assassins Creed 2, finished it a while ago but can only now be bothered to say something about it.
Overall it's a great game and vastly superior to the first one in that it improves on some of it's weaknessess, however the core gameplay of leaping about the place and generally being a ninja has only been slightly tweaked. Basically if you found the first game's crap on the basis of it's repetitive mission structure then AC2 is much better than that as it replaces the small ammount of repetitive tasks that the first one had with a more traditional, purely narrative based progression.
Combat is also livened up with a selection of weapons which you can either buy from vendors or take from opponents using the new 'disarm' move. One problem with this is that, when combined with counter attacks, your character is more or less invincible in combat, but that may be the feel that the designers are trting to go for.
Early in the game you will come into possesion of a villa, which you can rebuild using the money that you get from missions and thefts, and decorate by buying art from dealers in each city. The villa also serves as a display room for the weapons and armour you acquire. This is quite a nice feature but by no means a core mechanic, although it was somewhat satisfying to rebuild the town and see it recover, and the vendors that join the community are useful for repairing gear for cheap. Just don't expect any sim city levels of detail.
However, if it was the core free-running gameplay which you disliked then best to give it a miss as it is much the same.
The story for the historical character you play is pretty good, although there are times when the sheer number of people who are added to the mix and then promptly killed off again (most often by yourself) tends to make it hard to keep track of things. Thankfully you have a 'document' system which keeps various letters and video clips, all usefully (although somewhat suprisingly) narrated by Danny Wallace, so it's pretty easy to get whats going on if you leave the game for a while.
The modern day story is quite a bit weaker, and seems to have been tagged on with the sole intention of building a clif hanger for the sequel (much like the first one did). I would have probably prefered it if the games were able to rely on the strengths of the historical setting, rather than use some 'genetic memory' bullshit framing device mixed together with jusst about every tired cliche conspiracy theory under the sun.

But over all, a great, entertaining game, and as far as I know the only one worth geting this christmas.
Edit: bloody hell that one hell of a wall-o-text :lol:

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:12 pm

RedTeamWins wrote:'kay, Assassins Creed 2, finished it a while ago but can only now be bothered to say something about it.
Overall it's a great game and vastly superior to the first one in that it improves on some of it's weaknessess, however the core gameplay of leaping about the place and generally being a ninja has only been slightly tweaked. Basically if you found the first game's crap on the basis of it's repetitive mission structure then AC2 is much better than that as it replaces the small ammount of repetitive tasks that the first one had with a more traditional, purely narrative based progression.
Combat is also livened up with a selection of weapons which you can either buy from vendors or take from opponents using the new 'disarm' move. One problem with this is that, when combined with counter attacks, your character is more or less invincible in combat, but that may be the feel that the designers are trting to go for.
Early in the game you will come into possesion of a villa, which you can rebuild using the money that you get from missions and thefts, and decorate by buying art from dealers in each city. The villa also serves as a display room for the weapons and armour you acquire. This is quite a nice feature but by no means a core mechanic, although it was somewhat satisfying to rebuild the town and see it recover, and the vendors that join the community are useful for repairing gear for cheap. Just don't expect any sim city levels of detail.
However, if it was the core free-running gameplay which you disliked then best to give it a miss as it is much the same.
The story for the historical character you play is pretty good, although there are times when the sheer number of people who are added to the mix and then promptly killed off again (most often by yourself) tends to make it hard to keep track of things. Thankfully you have a 'document' system which keeps various letters and video clips, all usefully (although somewhat suprisingly) narrated by Danny Wallace, so it's pretty easy to get whats going on if you leave the game for a while.
The modern day story is quite a bit weaker, and seems to have been tagged on with the sole intention of building a clif hanger for the sequel (much like the first one did). I would have probably prefered it if the games were able to rely on the strengths of the historical setting, rather than use some 'genetic memory' bullshit framing device mixed together with jusst about every tired cliche conspiracy theory under the sun.

But over all, a great, entertaining game, and as far as I know the only one worth geting this christmas.
Edit: bloody hell that one hell of a wall-o-text :lol:

Cheers for the info, quite enjoying the first one at the moment - strikes me so far as basically being an open-ended RPG version of the newer Prince of Persia games.

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:20 pm

That a pretty good way of putting it. There are substantialy more RPG elements in the new one, but with all the free roaming of the first. Plus its set in the renaissance, which imo is so much better than the crusades.

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Fri Nov 27, 2009 7:59 pm

Completed AC2 last night. Fun story & lots of gameplay. :) Put it on your xmas list ^^

Zaibatsu
Warrior of Metal

Postby Zaibatsu » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:52 pm

Hmm I completed the first Assassin's Creed about a week ago and so far resisted getting the second. Might have to get it by the sounds of it though. In a while anyway, i'm still a cheap bastard and refuse to pay £39.99 for a game!