Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
herzeleid
Denim Demon

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby herzeleid » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:09 pm

RedTeamWins wrote:I mean it actually looks crap, the unit itself. Like a leapfrog learn-to-read pad thing. I'm sure Nintendo'll get some good gameplay out of it regardless, they always do.

I quite dig it, it's not THAT big and by all accounts is very light. Also, have fun watching the boring game of Luckswing whilst I continue to game! Fwahahahaha!

In conclusion

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:00 pm

imo, i was right about nintendo all along 8)

EDIT: i'll actually go into detail as to why
basically, the entire thing just seems really gimmicky to me. where is the need for a touch screen controller? or indeed any kind of screen on a controller? i really hoped they would announce something that could be used like the wii but also like a standard console depending on what each person wants. very disappointed, unless there will be normal controllers available and normal games i wont be buying it.
Last edited by CrappyMike on Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 pm

Well, Dev wise it may do a lot better than you thought, an EA CEO has already come out and said it's great and will be the main port of call for Battlefield and all their other shit.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:12 pm

I wanted to hate it, but to be honest, it looks pretty interesting.

The best thing is going to be seeing what independent developers make of it. They did some awesome stuff with the Wii controller.

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:17 pm

DO YOU WANT TO BE STUCK WATCHING BASEBALL JOE?! IT'S SO BORING!!!!

Also the 3DS has Luigi's Mansion 2 coming as well as the new Mario, and a new Smash Bros that will also be on Wii U. There's a new Zelda also, but i'm less fussed about that.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:23 pm

herzeleid wrote:DO YOU WANT TO BE STUCK WATCHING BASEBALL JOE?! IT'S SO BORING!!!!

I DON'T SAM.

THAT'S WHY I'LL BE PURCHASING THE WII U.

I HEARD IT'S AN ABSOLUTE YES THAT IT STANDS FOR UTOPIA.

ALL HAIL TO THE MIGHTY WII U. LET US BATHE, IF MOMENTARILY, IN IT'S GODLY LIGHT.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:42 pm

had a look at the first video on here, and it looks like it could be ok. http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/the- ... -revealed/
its still not what i was hoping for in all honesty, but its not as bad as i first thought. some good ideas, and i would hate to be stuck watching baseball... wont be paying more than £200 though IF i decide its worth buying

Illwish
Denim Demon

Postby Illwish » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:55 pm

CrappyMike wrote:where is the need for a touch screen controller? or indeed any kind of screen on a controller?

Back on Gamecube, a few games allowed you to connect you to connect a GBA and use it as a controller. I only remember having Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles and Zelda: Four Swords.

Basically those were two of my all time favourite multiplayer experiences. Playing games with four people in the same room is always ace. But Four Swords was a new level of fun and constant trolling each other (you could kill each other and knock each other down holes and shit). Anyway, the screen in the controller was used in Four Swords as a screen for when you went in buildings so you didn't affect the view that other players had. Worked really really nicely. I'm pretty sure on the FF game it was used mainly for controlling your inventory without disrupting the game screen, both games were all players on the same screen, and the second screen of the GBA kept those games fun.

And those were almost experimental uses, I'm sure as long as everyone doesn't feel the need to push them as a main feature of games; rather just a new facility to keep games fun. They'll really work.

gelder
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby gelder » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:59 pm

A problem I see is with multiple controllers. How much will they cost and will the system be able to output to more than 1, because by all accounts at E3 the multiplayer games are one with the pad, everyone else with Wiimotes.

FUCKING SUCK!!!!

:p

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:02 pm

that would be a major drawback for a nintendo console imo, to me they've always been best for local multiplayer

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:30 pm

Well there goes my hopes for a HD Gamecube but then again I have loved every other generation of Nintendo consoles so I'm not going to write it off straight away
By this axe I rule

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:50 am

CrappyMike wrote:had a look at the first video on here, and it looks like it could be ok. http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/the- ... -revealed/
its still not what i was hoping for in all honesty, but its not as bad as i first thought. some good ideas, and i would hate to be stuck watching baseball... wont be paying more than £200 though IF i decide its worth buying

Wait, so you were bitching before you even saw what it did?

Great job Mike.

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:51 am

I started off the bragging and then I bloody missed it all :lol: Anyway, my main PC is-

i7 920 @ 2.66Ghz
Gigabyte GA-EX58
Sapphire HD 4850 X2 2GB GDDR3
Kingston 6GB DDR3 RAM
Samsung F1 1TB HDD
WD WD20 2TB HDD
M-Audio Audiophile 2496
OCZ Stealth XStream 700W PSU
Razor Lycosa
Razor Lachesis

All in a Coolermaster HAF 932 and topped off with dual 23" Samsung SM2333 monitors (well, dual until last week when I broke one).

Will take some pics on the weekend...I can't be the only person who puts neons in these days surely?

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:00 am

Play.com have just informed me that DNF has been dispatched...

C'mon, arriiiiiiiiiiive, c'mon...

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:29 am

Jobdone wrote:
CrappyMike wrote:had a look at the first video on here, and it looks like it could be ok. http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/07/the- ... -revealed/

Wait, so you were bitching before you even saw what it did?

Great job Mike.

i saw some of what it did, not all of it. its the sort of thing id possibly buy, but almost certainly get bored of and stop playing. much like the wii ;)