Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
User avatar
Luke-
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2054
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Blackpool
Contact:

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby Luke- » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:44 pm

Johnny Tightlips wrote:Be careful about building your own PC. While it was true that building your own was cheaper many years ago, this is no longer the case unless you're building a high spec machine. Shop around if you're only building an average setup as you'll probably get it cheaper pre-built. Or just give the parts to me and I'll build it, no charge (because I'm nerdy like that).


I jus' wan be able to play Skyrim and Deus Ex nicely and be set for the future a wee bit. For around £400-£500ish. I dunno. I need to pay off my mate and my credit card first and I'll undoubtedly enquire on here whenever I can afford it in a couple of months or so.
"The thing about numbers is... there's loads of them."
Image

User avatar
Dangles
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby Dangles » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:46 pm

Johnny Tightlips wrote:I can see what you mean Dan but I think you're only going to experience something like that when you compare like-for-like, i.e. the same game...but I don't know many people that play exactly the same game on console and on PC :lol: At the moment my gaming is divided more or less 50/50 between my PC and my PS3 and I don't really have any problems with that (that ratio is probably going to shift to around 95/5 come November though, when the PS3 gets Uncharted 3 but then my PC gets Skyrim and AC:R :lol:)


I suppose but i never really viewed the xbox or the ps3 as consoles. In my opinion they are pcs built with firmware less like consoles and more like mini pcs. I understand your arguement Johnny but i disagree with it for the lack of variety on consoles and pc these days.
Consoles say 8 years ago, were worth the investment because you had a much wider selection of games. The pc would have say Red Alert 2, or Warcraft 3. Ps2 had ratchet and clank, and final fantasy X( :love: ). the Gamecube had super smash bros and the wind waker. Xbox had gaylo opps i mean halo :P .
There days i can only think of 3 titles the ps3 and the xbox 360 have that make them different from each other. The wii is a bit more intresting although that's probably only because i want to play that new game xenoblade.

CrappyMike wrote:because my laptop and 360 together cost just under £300 :P now, my laptop isnt exactly terrible, but theres no way in hell id be able to run skyrim on it. it does everything i want it to but i cant play new games on it. and i have my hard drive free for music and movies, with my games only taking up shelf space, and 250GB dedicated solely to gaming on my 360. saving money over time with cheaper games is all well and good, but im more easily able to spend that little bit more over time than i am to spend £400-£500 in one go. if there was an easy way to play games on a PC while lying in my bed, that would obviously help as well ;)
for me console gaming really is the best option, and im only likely to look at PC gaming when i have to upgrade my console

EDIT: also the fact that i've had my laptop half as long as my 360 and had significantly more bother with it.


Well i'm a bit of a whore, i have a laptop and a desktop :lol:
But i'll just talk about my desktop. It cost me in total 450 euros + 150 euros for the new hard drive installed recently.
I dedicate 1 terrabytes to my music/tv shows.
I dedicate 3 terrabytes to my pc games and mods.
and finally i dedicate 2 terrabytes to console games and emulators as such so i still have console games :P eg i have every game ever made from the 90s on consoles :lol:
And when it comes to comfort, i bought myself a fucking awesome chair that cost me 100 euros, it leans back and it's the ultimately more comfortable then anything i ever sat on ever :lol:

I hate getting into these massive discussions.

EDIT
Luke- wrote:
Johnny Tightlips wrote:Be careful about building your own PC. While it was true that building your own was cheaper many years ago, this is no longer the case unless you're building a high spec machine. Shop around if you're only building an average setup as you'll probably get it cheaper pre-built. Or just give the parts to me and I'll build it, no charge (because I'm nerdy like that).


I jus' wan be able to play Skyrim and Deus Ex nicely and be set for the future a wee bit. For around £400-£500ish. I dunno. I need to pay off my mate and my credit card first and I'll undoubtedly enquire on here whenever I can afford it in a couple of months or so.


Go to aldi/lidl, if you see a medion desktop for 400 pounds or so. It's USUALLY worth the investment, they sell ridiculously cheap and awesome pcs.
Facebook
Bands that should play Bloodstock next year
VADER | SEPTIC FLESH | KATATONIA | ANATHEMA

Image

User avatar
Luke-
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2054
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Blackpool
Contact:

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby Luke- » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:03 pm

Do Aldi and Lidl even sell PCs over in the UK? I just know them for cheap, dodgy looking chicken and amazing(ly bad for you) chocolate cereals.
"The thing about numbers is... there's loads of them."
Image

User avatar
Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon
Posts: 4466
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:42 am
Location: Neath Abbey, Wales
Contact:

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:13 pm

Luke- wrote:Do Aldi and Lidl even sell PCs over in the UK? I just know them for cheap, dodgy looking chicken and amazing(ly bad for you) chocolate cereals.


They do, but you have to be quick as they only come in every other month or so and sell out within a day or two.

User avatar
Jobdone
Denim Demon
Posts: 15679
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Tiny Village, Wales

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby Jobdone » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:24 pm

My mate got his laptop from Aldis for about 350-400 quid.

It runs Crysis on full settings.

I fucking hate that guy.
Image

User avatar
CrappyMike
Denim Demon
Posts: 5494
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: Livingston, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby CrappyMike » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:35 pm

i got some nice ham from there once.

anyone else looking forward to space marine? played the demo and thought it was alright, customisation and online looks good though

User avatar
Jobdone
Denim Demon
Posts: 15679
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Tiny Village, Wales

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby Jobdone » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:42 pm

I'm looking forward to it if local multiplayer is in it.

Otherwise no.

The only reason me and my friends got hyped was the idea of getting drunk together and fucking up some orcs. We all called who we wanted to be. I called the guy with the giant hammer.
Image

User avatar
Luke-
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2054
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Blackpool
Contact:

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby Luke- » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:51 pm

I was watching Total Biscuits 'WTF is' of it before and despite having no interest in it or 40k in general prior I have to say the combat looks really nice.

Linky link linkersons.
"The thing about numbers is... there's loads of them."
Image

User avatar
Twaddlefish
Denim Demon
Posts: 8157
Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:21 pm
Location: York, baby

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby Twaddlefish » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:06 pm

I think Space Marine looks poo.

MAAAAAAAAALIIIIIIK! :(
Littlemissmetal wrote:Women are stupid, as a rule.



Latest review: Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes

User avatar
RedTeamWins
Denim Demon
Posts: 8970
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:32 am
Location: SPACE!

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby RedTeamWins » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:18 pm

Twaddlefish wrote:I think Space Marine looks poo.

But I'll be buying it release day regardless.

User avatar
CrappyMike
Denim Demon
Posts: 5494
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:09 pm
Location: Livingston, Scotland
Contact:

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby CrappyMike » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:40 pm

after the demo it went from a certain release day purchase to a possible release day purchase, or at least a release day rent depending on finances

User avatar
Dangles
Knight of the Eemerald Svord
Posts: 616
Joined: Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby Dangles » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:03 pm

Luke- wrote:I was watching Total Biscuits 'WTF is' of it before and despite having no interest in it or 40k in general prior I have to say the combat looks really nice.

Linky link linkersons.


i missed that guy at bloodstock this year :(
Facebook
Bands that should play Bloodstock next year
VADER | SEPTIC FLESH | KATATONIA | ANATHEMA

Image

User avatar
RedTeamWins
Denim Demon
Posts: 8970
Joined: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:32 am
Location: SPACE!

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby RedTeamWins » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:16 pm

Dangles wrote:
i missed that guy at bloodstock this year :(

Aha what? Do we have a resident ~*youtube superstar*~ now?

User avatar
Jobdone
Denim Demon
Posts: 15679
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:37 am
Location: Tiny Village, Wales

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby Jobdone » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:18 pm

Wait Total Biscuits is on this forum?

I assume not.

He's like quite good at League of Legends.
Image

User avatar
Luke-
Hell Bent for Leather
Posts: 2054
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:18 pm
Location: Blackpool
Contact:

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby Luke- » Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:26 pm

Jobdone wrote:Wait Total Biscuits is on this forum?

I assume not.

He's like quite good at League of Legends.


No (unless he is), but he didn't shut up about 'OMG I'M GOING TO BLOODSTOCK METULZ FESTIVAL!!!' for a while before the fest.
"The thing about numbers is... there's loads of them."
Image