Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
herzeleid
Denim Demon

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby herzeleid » Tue Sep 13, 2011 1:39 pm

Jobdone wrote:
herzeleid wrote:Oh I see, Nintendo remakes games and everyone moans. Sony does it and it's the best thing ever!

I wasn't moaning. I think its a pretty cool idea that they're making N64 games for the 3DS. Stop being so defensive bro.

Just buy an Xbox, it'll serve you better than a cold indifferent playstation with its awful trophies.

Also, the Zelda remake on 3ds is a thing of beauty. If they put it on demo in shops instead of sodding pilotwings or whatever, the 3DS would be sold out. It's so amazing.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:00 pm

i approve of 3D remakes actually, but thats mainly because they actually add something new.

gonna buy dead island today, at least i am if i get enough for the games im trading in. i have a strange habit of hoarding games i dont even play any more, so im having to force myself to get rid of stuff like lego star wars, which i havent played for months D:

Azubi
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Azubi » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:27 pm

This buying a PC is a bastard that I thought I had figured out until the hand grenade that is processors got chucked in.

I've pretty much settled on an Intel processor but which one! Most gamers reccomend the Sandy Bridge i5 2500k or the i7 2600k. Some say there is no point in getting the i7 as no games at the moment make use of Hyper-Threading and you can overclock them to the same level anyway. I was also looking at the Bloomfield hex-core i7 range that my computer geek colleague recommends as you can stack more RAM and GPUs.

All my research shows mixed results too between sandy bridge and bloomfield i7s so not making it any easier.
http://www.azubi.co.uk - Azubi's Adventures in Abandonment :)

fluffymoo wrote:Fucking hell, Mike - you really are wrong all the time.

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:15 pm

If you can afford it stick with the i5 - the i7 is a bit overkill but it could be good for future proofing. I do IT and I no longer have any idea about processors etc because it's been so long since I built a PC
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.

Azubi
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Azubi » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:22 pm

I'm happy to spend a bit more to future proof it for a bit longer and with BF3 supposedly making use of hyper threading it might be worth the i7. It's all oh so confusing. I'm pretty much set on the two GTX580s running SLI though.
http://www.azubi.co.uk - Azubi's Adventures in Abandonment :)

fluffymoo wrote:Fucking hell, Mike - you really are wrong all the time.

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:25 pm

Azubi wrote:I'm happy to spend a bit more to future proof it for a bit longer and with BF3 supposedly making use of hyper threading it might be worth the i7. It's all oh so confusing. I'm pretty much set on the two GTX580s running SLI though.

If you're spending that sort of money on GFX you may as well get an i7 :) Otherwise you're basically buying a Ferrari and putting a 2.0L diesel engine in it - probably still great, but you're better off with a 6.0L petrol engine :lol:

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:33 pm

Looky wrote:
CrappyMike wrote:GTA is far too serious with too much focus on realism and not enough on fun, which is why i really have no interest in a new GTA.

And yet it's still a far superior game to Just Cause 2. Which sounds really fun and wacky-in-a-good-way until you actually play it and realise the gameplay is slow and tedious and the effort required to actually get into helicopters and jets isn't worth the fun once you're in one.

Saints Row 2 is way better and way more deserving of the What GTA Should Be Like Again title.

Saints Row 2 is now on the ol' xbox classics status so its now only a shade under £8. Actually tempted. Also as I mentioned in the WMMLT thread: Duke Nukem is now about £12 too. I wasnt all that interested wasting £40+ particularly when everyones thoughts on the game was mainly negative, and the game play has more than just a few teething problems, but I was a massive fan of the original (which I also have on xbox), and I feel its worth wasting twelve knicker on.

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Tue Sep 13, 2011 7:12 pm

Looky wrote:I never actually played Ico or SotC so these are new games for me. They're apparently both the dogs bollocks and they're so rare nowadays that they're impossible to find on the cheap. So this is just a great move in my view.

Same. I've never heard anything of Ico other than it's supposed to be mint, and I watched an LP of SotC a while ago and it looks really fucking good for a late PS2 game. I'll be buying that and the MGS collection and loving it.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Tue Sep 13, 2011 9:43 pm

there is a namco x capcom game on PS2. why was i never aware of this? :o

also, how am i supposed to prioritise which games to get now? all year theres 1 game a month that i decide to buy on release, until now, when theres like 8 a week i want to buy. some can wait til christmas, but only really single player cause the games i like online tend to die after a little while :(

Looky
Warrior of Metal

Postby Looky » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:32 pm

CrappyMike wrote:there is a namco x capcom game on PS2. why was i never aware of this? :o

also, how am i supposed to prioritise which games to get now? all year theres 1 game a month that i decide to buy on release, until now, when theres like 8 a week i want to buy. some can wait til christmas, but only really single player cause the games i like online tend to die after a little while :(

1. Pick Skyrim
2. Pick anything else.
3. Repeat.
"The thing about numbers is... there's loads of them."

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:34 pm

skyrim and SR3 are essential purchases for me, and i have 2 weeks off work from the day skyrim is released to play them, but i also want AC revelations and WWE 12, and will more than likely be hassled to get MW3. probably gonna pick up NFS the run at some point too, as well as needing to buy arkham city for my dad and for myself :|

Looky
Warrior of Metal

Postby Looky » Tue Sep 13, 2011 11:39 pm

CrappyMike wrote:skyrim and SR3 are essential purchases for me, and i have 2 weeks off work from the day skyrim is released to play them, but i also want AC revelations and WWE 12, and will more than likely be hassled to get MW3. probably gonna pick up NFS the run at some point too, as well as needing to buy arkham city for my dad and for myself :|

Skyrim
SR
Ass Creed
Ark City
MW3
WWE

For me, out of those, but WWE All Stars put me off wrestling games forever, even it's the low of the genre that it feels like.

But I gots it simple, I just get Fifa, Skyrim and Football Manager and Lovefilm the others.
"The thing about numbers is... there's loads of them."

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:19 am

all stars put you off wrestling games? it wasnt perfect, but i thought it was pretty good fun for half an hour at a time

WoRLoKKeD
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby WoRLoKKeD » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:54 am

Dangles wrote:Still a valid arguement, i can't help but agree, that was a fantastic game <3
Most games back then on console own nearly all the games now on console in my opinion.

NEARLY all.

Luckily, Wipeout HD redeems the entire new generation because it's the single best thing to happen to console gaming since...eh...Wipeout 3.

More importantly for PC gamers with standards everywhere, a little birdy tells me that a large wave of Firefall beta codes are in the very near future! The dev team is being led by the lead designer of Tribes and Tribes 2, and the game takes the mechanics of Tribes, the co-operative gameplay and art direction reminiscent of Borderlands, and the competitive play of Tribes and Team Fortress 2.

From gameplay footage I've seen, it's fast paced, fluid and most importantly, looks both fun and designed with competitive gameplay in mind. There is almost no way this game can turn out to be bad.

tl;dr - Tribes. But bigger.
Kaahl wrote:Metal Hammer is actually Finnish for "Metal, My Arse!"

Bisset
Denim Demon

Postby Bisset » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:19 am

WoRLoKKeD wrote:Luckily, Wipeout HD redeems the entire new generation because it's the single best thing to happen to console gaming since...eh...Wipeout 3.

I always preferred 2097, I thought 3 was too weapon heavy
http://www.facebook.com/farseermetal

Jobdone wrote:Currently jealous of my mate whose got tomorrow off and can just hammer it for 3 days straight.