Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Dangles
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby Dangles » Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:54 pm

Ensorcelled wrote:Had some iffy games tonight, but I've also had awesome some awesome moments.

I still hate Origin though.

You should reformat your hard drive after using that, to cleanse your system.

I've lost all hope for games, after skyrim i'm going to play old school games or stick with the many awesome flash games on kongregate since most games that costs money is not worth it these days.
Facebook
Bands that should play Bloodstock next year
VADER | SEPTIC FLESH | KATATONIA | ANATHEMA

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:05 pm

Dangles wrote:
Ensorcelled wrote:Had some iffy games tonight, but I've also had awesome some awesome moments.

I still hate Origin though.

You should reformat your hard drive after using that, to cleanse your system.

I've lost all hope for games, after skyrim i'm going to play old school games or stick with the many awesome flash games on kongregate since most games that costs money is not worth it these days.

you're wrong on many levels. this year alone you have skyrim, saints row the third, arkham city and assassins creed revelations, all look to fit my purchase criteria of at least 30 hours of gameplay. next year we'll see dragons dogma, kingdoms of amalur, mass effect 3, SSX, potentially borderlands 2 although thats looking more likely for a 2013 release, 2013 will also have darksiders 2. there are plenty of games worth paying full price for, you're not looking hard enough.

EDIT: the ones for next year are all out by february except dragons dogma which is out in march
Last edited by CrappyMike on Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Azubi
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Azubi » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:14 pm

I bought Darksiders due to the rave reviews it seemed to get wherever I looked and I fucking hated it. It's not the sort of game I like to be honest.

I'll be downloading the BF3 beta overnight I think for the PS3 and see if it is worth getting for the PC and building a PC for.
http://www.azubi.co.uk - Azubi's Adventures in Abandonment :)

fluffymoo wrote:Fucking hell, Mike - you really are wrong all the time.

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:31 pm

darksiders 2 will be more of an RPG though. basically, they havent just copied the first game with new levels, they've constructed and entirely new experience with similar core gameplay but playing as death makes everything you do faster, and with weapons and armour to collect like a classic RPG it looks like it will surpass the first one in every way.

and based on the beta, i would say its not. looking at the graphics and all the glitches though the beta is very far from the finished game.

Twaddlefish
Denim Demon

Postby Twaddlefish » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:04 pm

BF3 beta is great fun, instantly prefer it over MW2. Origin, however, can go fuck itself.
Littlemissmetal wrote:Women are stupid, as a rule.

Latest review: Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 6:51 pm

I've just picked up Dungeon Siege 3in Tesco for £12 :o

Got to be a bargain at that price :yes:

WoRLoKKeD

Postby WoRLoKKeD » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:03 pm

ANDREWHALL28 wrote:I've just picked up Dungeon Siege 3in Tesco for £12 :o

Only worth it if it's the version where you get the original with it.

Just for the original.

In other news, fuck all the haters. Riven is awesome and fucks up everyone once she has some Attack Damage and speed stacked.
Kaahl wrote:Metal Hammer is actually Finnish for "Metal, My Arse!"

ANDREWHALL28
Denim Demon

Postby ANDREWHALL28 » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:04 pm

WoRLoKKeD wrote:
ANDREWHALL28 wrote:I've just picked up Dungeon Siege 3in Tesco for £12 :o

Only worth it if it's the version where you get the original with it.

Just for the original.

In other news, fuck all the haters. Riven is awesome and fucks up everyone once she has some Attack Damage and speed stacked.

er :eyes:

Nope PS3 version :(

Hell I may like it

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:30 pm

WoRLoKKeD wrote:In other news, fuck all the haters. Riven is awesome and fucks up everyone once she has some Attack Damage and speed stacked.

Riven has some real nice AD ratios. I don't really get the hate for her.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:38 pm

I have been loaned Mirrors Edge from a mate, which is cruising at the very bottom of xbox's graphic capabilities. It has a story line that I either dont understand or am not picking up at all, it seems just a wee bit on the simple side as the only two buttons I have used on my controller are LB and LT and of course the analogue sticks.

Only pro point I am going to give it is in the 45 minutes I have bored myself to death with it, that I have picked up a handy 115G worth of achievement points.

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:39 pm

Turbo wrote:I have been loaned Mirrors Edge from a mate, which is cruising at the very bottom of xbox's graphic capabilities. It has a story line that I either dont understand or am not picking up at all, it seems just a wee bit on the simple side as the only two buttons I have used on my controller are LB and LT and of course the analogue sticks.

Only pro point I am going to give it is in the 45 minutes I have bored myself to death with it, that I have picked up a handy 115G worth of achievement points.

Don't even try and follow the story.

Mirror's Edge is pretty much only good for GS.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:24 pm

GS?

I dunno. I got Mirror's Edge free from EA (when they fucked up their store and gave away Mirror Edge, Mercenaries 2, and Dead Space away for free. Good times.) and I felt it was well worth the price. :P

I quite enjoyed it tbh. It was a simple game, but still enjoyable.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

WoRLoKKeD

Postby WoRLoKKeD » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:43 pm

Jobdone wrote:
WoRLoKKeD wrote:In other news, fuck all the haters. Riven is awesome and fucks up everyone once she has some Attack Damage and speed stacked.

I've been considering trying a build with Berserker boots, Bloodthirster, Warmogs, Frozen Mallet and Zeal > PD. Expensive, but if the game goes into the 30 minute + mark, I think you might make a lategame Trynd or Yi look like pansies.

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:55 pm

WoRLoKKeD wrote:
Jobdone wrote:

I've been considering trying a build with Berserker boots, Bloodthirster, Warmogs, Frozen Mallet and Zeal > PD. Expensive, but if the game goes into the 30 minute + mark, I think you might make a lategame Trynd or Yi look like pansies.

With Mallet and Warmogs, I assume you're planning to fit in an Atmas somewhere?

But otherwise sounds ridiculous enough to work. Though nothing makes late game Tryn look like a pansie :P

"Oh sorry bro. You let the game go on too long. I have an infinity edge and phantoms. CHOP CHOP CHOP CHOP CHOP DEAD"

WoRLoKKeD

Postby WoRLoKKeD » Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:04 am

Yeah. I'm still uncertain whether it's wise to build her kind of half tanky half AD/speed, or to just go full-on squishy dancy AD and attack speed. She can hit very hard because she's all about the AD, but for someone so low on defence, she attacks so damn slowly. I really think the balance between survivability, damage and speed is the hard part to get used to, and completely depends on who you're facing so you can cater to their weakness more than her own limitations.

I think I'll need to take her into another 30-50 games to really experiment and find something I can really settle on as a good 'standard' build.

Ability-wise, though, I really like her. I love the combo-oriented play, and you have plenty of time between chaining her Q to charge into an enemy, mash W for the free harass and getting the three strikes going. Her ulti is also nice for jungling as the cooldown is so quick (~45 seconds by default, I think), and the skillshot you get with it is frankly obscene if your timing is right in a teamfight.

Also, the range of her E is basically 2/3 of a Flash, I've realized, so that's pretty nice on its own for engaging or disengaging.