Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Twaddlefish
Denim Demon

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby Twaddlefish » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:19 pm

IX can blow me. It's just...ach, too cutesy...a problem that X has. Yes, I want to spend half a fantasy game playing a retarded version of football underwater. It's become too...light, as it were, as the series has gone on, with a thinly veiled attempt to come across as thoughtful.

Things I did in FF4 (which I highly recommend on DS) in the first 10 minutes:

Get the girl.
Be a dark knight.
Set a village on fire

Things I did in FF10 in the first 10 minutes:

Swanned on a beach with some Jamaican-American-Russian in dungarees, while being taught to laugh
Played with shiny balls.

I will admit the sphere grid is very interesting and intuitive though.

I'm currently playing Fallout 3. Like F2 it takes a bit to get going, but then I fucked a hooker and blew a load of dudes into a fine red mist.

Also, Far Cry 2. Amazing graphics, realistic gameplay and some characters you actually give a shit about as opposed to the usual cannon fodder. I recommend this if your PC will run it.
Littlemissmetal wrote:Women are stupid, as a rule.

Latest review: Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Sun Nov 09, 2008 11:49 pm

Today on Fable 2 I needed to kill my wife before she divorced me, which would of ended nastily (nastily for me I should say) and our child ended up in an orphanage. All of this is after I screwed then married a hooker behind her back and moved into a lovely little place in Oakfield. Kinky bitch enjoys getting slapped around the face and extorted pimp style in front of our child :eyes:

I've become a bit of a bastard for murdering my spouses when they become trouble.... After bumping off my very first wife I ended up loosing it and going on a rampage and destroying most of Bowerstone turning me totally evil after playing as a neutral for a while. Death toll wound up at 35 and all I had to do for community service was kill 3 balverines.

I wonder what this all says about me :lol:

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:08 am

WorMzy wrote:
gumpy87 wrote:10 is nothing compared to 7 or 9, the battle system insnt very good, the characters are not likeable, tidus is the worst protagonist in any final fantasy game, there are no memorable set pieces, the story starts of weak and just gets worse, the soundtrack is probably the worst thing Nobuo Uematsu has done and the sphere grid is a pain in the arse. You can tell that Hironobu Sakaguchi had nothing to do with it and im not going to get started on why you should play final fantasy 7 and 9 but you should they are two of my 5 favorite rpgs the other three being panzer dragoon saga, pokemon and star ocean 3

I'd love to know what makes Tidus such a bad protagonist; I mean, sure he's not a whiny little emo bastard with spiky hair and a 'History', like Cloud, and he's not a smart mouthed womanising monkey-thief, like Zidane, but he's not half bad as protagonists go. He's got a mission: to get back to his own Zanarkand/find out the truth about his father; he's got a past: He was bullied by his father, had his self-esteem shattered time and time again, but still managed to become the best Blitz Ball player in his time (and in the present too, if you play the superb mini-game); he got thrown into a strange futuristic world where he was first told that his home city was destroyed over 1000 years ago, then got told that he's nothing more than a dream, then got told that his father is a giant monster that goes around killing everyone. If anyone has reason to be angsty, it's him.

The story is great, I have no idea how you can prefer 7 or 9 over 10's story. Just when it might start getting boring, they chuck Seymour into the works and fuck everything over; so instead of being the group that everyone loves and respects, you're suddenly public enemy number one and everyone wants to tear you a new arsehole. Before long you find out that the entire religion/government is corrupt, and you've been fighting on the wrong side to begin with; not only that, but you've been fighting for your lives for the sole purpose of sacrificing yourself later on anyway. So you say bollocks to that, smash your way through Yevons forces, kill Seymour another couple of times (because That. Fucker. Won't. Stay. Dead.), challenge the final boss, and turn the entire religion on its head by destroying the god itself.

The soundtrack was pretty lack-lustre, I'll grant you that. However, Suteki Da Ne is a gem, and X-2's sound track made up for X's.

The Sphere grid was great. It allowed for a lot more freedom with your characters. It appears daunting to begin with, but once you know what you're doing it's a piece of cake. Want to be a black mage? Follow this route. Want to be a thief? Follow this route. Want to be a white mage warrior? No problem! Really can't see why people hate it tbh.

This was a long reply..

Er.. currently playing Dwarf Fortress.

tidus does spend a large chunk of the game complaning/sluking which i didnt like, i thought the love story with him and yuna was a pale immatation of the squall rinoa one, the person who voiced him was terrible and i felt he lacked a defining moment, i couldnt help thinking that i was cotrolling a whiny child for large parts of the game. There are worse protagonist in other rpg series Lloyd irvine im looking at you but the compared to Cecil, Terra and locke, Bartz cloud, squall and Zidane he is just not up to standard

As for the plot i thought the paceing was off, it starts off slow like most rpgs not much happens for most of the game and then all of a sudden everything happens and there is an obvoius twist then it loses steam again (you could argue that square were trying to focus on the relationship between tidus and yuna at the begining of the game but as the game doesnt do enough to make you empathize with the characters it feels to drawn out) i also didnt like how the story keeps shoehorning Seymour into the plot and makeing you fight him again and again, as i was done better with jenova and edea it just seemed like square wernt trying

Blitzball one the other hand was great fun i spent hours on it and i think it is the second best mini game in the final fantasy series (nothing beats chocobo treasure hunting on 9) ad the sphere grid would have been a lot better if they got rid of the key spheres as there wasnt enough level 3 ones. I also dont know why the got id of the atb and replaced it with the turn bases one it just wasnt as good although i did like haveing the rest of your team in the background. 10 is a decent game its just nowhere near as good as 7 or 9

anyway last game i finished gunstar heroes (again)
By this axe I rule

jamestomo
Paster of Muppets

Postby jamestomo » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:47 am

WorMzy wrote:Anyway, have you tried looking for roms? emuparadise.org has FF4 to 9 available for PSX.

No i've not ;s, what is a PSX? :? Edit: Ignore me i'm an idiot, should have guessed PSX is a PS1 but just didn't get why its called a PSX.

gumpy87 wrote: and the sphere grid is a pain in the arse.

Now that I agree with
Last edited by jamestomo on Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:09 am

jamestomo wrote:
WorMzy wrote:Anyway, have you tried looking for roms? emuparadise.org has FF4 to 9 available for PSX.

No i've not ;s, what is a PSX? :?

The original Playstation. Image

@ Grumpy: I'm glad to see that you at least liked the Blitzball minigame. Too many people complain about that, and I really don't get why. It's difficult to begin with, because you're supposed to be controlling a bunch of misfits that have only won one match in like 10 years, but once you start getting a decent team together the game really shines through. You can win Level 3 key spheres from the various tournements btw, but I agree that they were difficult to get a hold of when you really needed them. You can also get them from the animal trainer/breeder on the calm lands by battling his creations, though some of those are a royal pain in the arse.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 5:23 pm

thats true i still havent beet the cactuar king 999999 needles just isnt fair
By this axe I rule

2fukkinmetal
Consort of the Beast

Postby 2fukkinmetal » Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:16 pm

Ok i am still addicted to fallout 3... fortunately 3 of my friends are addicted aswell now and its pretty much all we have talked about for the last 2 weeks.

can anybody give me an idea how long this is likely to last for? I've never been addicted to a computer game before..? :D

Big D
Denim Demon

Postby Big D » Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:32 pm

Currently playing Secret Weapons Over Normandy.

WW2 flight Sim. Rather enjoying it. There's something cathartic about hacking ME262s out of the sky.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:10 pm

Just played my way through the Left4Dead demo that's up for grabs on Steam, gotta say it's a heck of a game. If you work together it's far easier than if you run off on your own little rampage.

I'll probably get it once I clear my backlog of unfinished games.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Mon Nov 17, 2008 10:20 pm

WorMzy wrote:Just played my way through the Left4Dead demo that's up for grabs on Steam, gotta say it's a heck of a game. If you work together it's far easier than if you run off on your own little rampage.

I'll probably get it once I clear my backlog of unfinished games.

i am 95% through downloading the demo and the waiting is getting to me
By this axe I rule

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:37 am

finished the demo 4 times online and now cant wait for the game :D
By this axe I rule

toria-georgia
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby toria-georgia » Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:41 pm

FAAAABLEEEEEE 2 :love:
http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/toriageorgia

NightEyes
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby NightEyes » Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:52 pm

2fukkinmetal wrote:Ok i am still addicted to fallout 3... fortunately 3 of my friends are addicted aswell now and its pretty much all we have talked about for the last 2 weeks.

can anybody give me an idea how long this is likely to last for? I've never been addicted to a computer game before..? :D

Fallout 3 is indeed the bees knees. I love the graphics and feel of the game, a vast waste lands populated by things that crave your death. VATS is a life saver, without it the poor FPS aim would make the game a tab unplayable. Its great fun too, watching your character blasting a riders head clean off. The Pip-Boy 3000 is very charming, I do enjoy the retro-future nuclear waste land.

The games officially ends when you finish the main quest meaning credits roll and you can't continue. So just leave the last mission on the main quest and go explore the world!

Final Fantasy

Its safe to say that in the world of the RPG geeks FF cause more fights and broken friendships than girls ever have. Its seems we have a huge FF X fan on these boards and who makes some good points. The expert Sphere grid was a nice touch toward the later games.
Now my quick review of FF X
- Weak Story, bland graphics, poor character development, end boss was a joke
+ Amazing after game battles (Dark Summons) , sphere grid, long game +70

FF X wasn't my favorite but it was a bad game, now FF X -2 that is a BAD game. For me Final Fantasy has been heading down the toilet since Square Soft became Square Enix.

Is FF XII any different? I did play it, finish it and enjoyed it while noticing many flaws. Too easy, then just too hard the secret Boss has too much health, even at lvl 99 its a struggle because of the games system. Pseudo real time battles, which there not, they many look like it but its clearly active time battles. The story was huge let down, pretend Star Wars meets one page of Final Fantasy Tactics story. Too black and white and predicable.

Now having poured scorn over two recent international best sellers, I will offer my opinion of which FF IS the best :P
Its a tie and I will not decide which game holds a bigger place in my heart. FF 6 and FF Tactics. If you haven't played either, well get out there and buy them! Both are for the PSX but getting hold of Tactics might prove a problem since it wasn't released over here.
FF 6 has the best story, Boss, magic system, characters etc.... its just does. The graphics leave alot to be desired and its hard to feel a connection to a spirit that is made of about 20 square blocks. The story is the best reason to play as it has 9 character all having their own past and future.

Final Fantasy Tactics is the best strategy-RPGs of all time and paved the way for games such as Disgaea: Hour of Darkness. While Tactics' battles are fairly standard isometric, turn-based strategy game fare, Tactics has hands down the best implementation of Final Fantasy's Job Class System. You have 20 different jobs to choose from and each has skills you can learn, there are unique characters/jobs, monsters can job the party and barrels of side quests. You could easily play for over 80 hours just learning all the different skills, while the story is complex in places it makes up for it by being bloody demon filled betrayal of the main character.

Sweet I have reaffirmed my geek status! :love:

2fukkinmetal
Consort of the Beast

Postby 2fukkinmetal » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:18 pm

Yeah the ending for fallout 3 is actually about the only lame thing about it. (I saved before leaving the citadel so i could go back to wandering around once i had seen how the core mission ended)

I tried a few endings actually but since they all seem to result in you dying they are ultimately pretty much the same.

the core mission is way too short though its really enjoyable.

Its all the side missions, varied locations and sub plots that keep me playing. (and exploding heads)

VATS is great :) normal FPS targeting works better with weapons like the minigun and gattling laser though - if you have ammo to burn.

There was one section of the game that seemed to be crashing my system a lot (PS3) but that might have been caused by something else because its been ok every other day

gumpy87
Denim Demon

Postby gumpy87 » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:21 am

NightEyes wrote:
2fukkinmetal wrote:Ok i am still addicted to fallout 3... fortunately 3 of my friends are addicted aswell now and its pretty much all we have talked about for the last 2 weeks.

Fallout 3 is indeed the bees knees. I love the graphics and feel of the game, a vast waste lands populated by things that crave your death. VATS is a life saver, without it the poor FPS aim would make the game a tab unplayable. Its great fun too, watching your character blasting a riders head clean off. The Pip-Boy 3000 is very charming, I do enjoy the retro-future nuclear waste land.

The games officially ends when you finish the main quest meaning credits roll and you can't continue. So just leave the last mission on the main quest and go explore the world!

Final Fantasy

Its safe to say that in the world of the RPG geeks FF cause more fights and broken friendships than girls ever have. Its seems we have a huge FF X fan on these boards and who makes some good points. The expert Sphere grid was a nice touch toward the later games.
Now my quick review of FF X
- Weak Story, bland graphics, poor character development, end boss was a joke
+ Amazing after game battles (Dark Summons) , sphere grid, long game +70

FF X wasn't my favorite but it was a bad game, now FF X -2 that is a BAD game. For me Final Fantasy has been heading down the toilet since Square Soft became Square Enix.

Is FF XII any different? I did play it, finish it and enjoyed it while noticing many flaws. Too easy, then just too hard the secret Boss has too much health, even at lvl 99 its a struggle because of the games system. Pseudo real time battles, which there not, they many look like it but its clearly active time battles. The story was huge let down, pretend Star Wars meets one page of Final Fantasy Tactics story. Too black and white and predicable.

Now having poured scorn over two recent international best sellers, I will offer my opinion of which FF IS the best :P
Its a tie and I will not decide which game holds a bigger place in my heart. FF 6 and FF Tactics. If you haven't played either, well get out there and buy them! Both are for the PSX but getting hold of Tactics might prove a problem since it wasn't released over here.
FF 6 has the best story, Boss, magic system, characters etc.... its just does. The graphics leave alot to be desired and its hard to feel a connection to a spirit that is made of about 20 square blocks. The story is the best reason to play as it has 9 character all having their own past and future.

Final Fantasy Tactics is the best strategy-RPGs of all time and paved the way for games such as Disgaea: Hour of Darkness. While Tactics' battles are fairly standard isometric, turn-based strategy game fare, Tactics has hands down the best implementation of Final Fantasy's Job Class System. You have 20 different jobs to choose from and each has skills you can learn, there are unique characters/jobs, monsters can job the party and barrels of side quests. You could easily play for over 80 hours just learning all the different skills, while the story is complex in places it makes up for it by being bloody demon filled betrayal of the main character.

Sweet I have reaffirmed my geek status! :love:

final fantasy 6 is my favorite every now and again it depends on weather i have finished 6,7 or 9 last but as it is a 16 bit rpg most people wont give it a chance despite it haveing the best bad guy and plot. As for tactics i never imported it when it came out and im not going to get it now as final fantasy tatics advance stole to many hours of my life
By this axe I rule