Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby CrappyMike » Sat May 10, 2014 1:00 am

Got bound by flame today, from what I've played it seems quite similar in ways to the witcher 2, which can only be good. Its difficult as well, which is refreshing too many games are too easy.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sat May 10, 2014 6:57 am

I was looking at that in EB yesterday actually. Let me know how it goes.
I picked up DmC yesterday, went to play it today and after installing and waiting 10 minutes for the first level to load, I turned it off and took it back. Got a full refund, so can't complain there I guess.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Sun May 11, 2014 4:36 pm

As much as Saints Row 2 has been great fun in co-op it has shown signs of being a completely broken game. Glad these issues were addressed in SR3. One of the fucking races I swear was not tested, you don't want to know what levels I had to go to to get that bastard airport race done.

Smindas
Denim Demon

Postby Smindas » Sun May 11, 2014 5:57 pm

CrappyMike wrote:
Smindas wrote:XIII is decent, but mainly because I really enjoyed the battle system. However, despite having brought it over a year ago, I have yet to even touch XIII-2. I picked it up on the cheap and I'm not really particularly enamoured by any of the characters or the setting enough to get going on it. Lightning Returns looks alright, but I have a similar issue. XIII as a whole is a bit meh.

I got them both in 5 for £20 at game so can't complain. No characters stick out to me yet but I only played for about an hour so far.

That's fair. XIII's a bit of an odd one in that I basically greatly disliked most of the cast, but I was so drawn in by the art design and the battle system, that I couldn't stop playing it. Some of the bosses later on are utterly magnificent. Weirdly, it even became the first Final Fantasy game I'd ever finished (I then resolved to go back and properly finish the ones that I'd half played, which I succeeded with about three of - all were much better than XIII, unsurprisingly).

Applecore wrote:I was looking at that in EB yesterday actually. Let me know how it goes.
I picked up DmC yesterday, went to play it today and after installing and waiting 10 minutes for the first level to load, I turned it off and took it back. Got a full refund, so can't complain there I guess.

I can't say I remember horrific load times in it. I have to say, I was really pleasantly surprised by DmC. Sure, it was all a bit comic-book-attempt-at-being-edgy, but somewhere between the addictive beat 'em up play style, the frankly brilliant art direction and constant Combichrist, I was hooked.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun May 11, 2014 11:22 pm

May have been a bad disc, I'll try again when it drops more in price. It doesn't really make sense to fork out another $48 for a game that "might" play. Sure I can get a full refund if it doesn't, but can't be bothered with the effort really.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Sun May 11, 2014 11:51 pm

I was also pleasantly surprised by it, still prefer 1, 3 and 4 but its miles better than 2 and stands up well enough on its own. I would be happy to see it continue as a series tbh.

Bit further into bound by flame. I have seem some terrible reviews for this game, and I just don't get it. Its a solid witcher type RPG, easily a 7/10. Most of the complaints I've seen in reviews are that its too hard for the idiots reviewing it :lol: basically, if you try to hack your way through it you'll just die constantly, you have to adapt your strategy to different enemies, and even if something has worked once it might not work a second time, so you can't ever let your guard down or you will die. It also has a nice crafting system, though I'm finding it a ballache to find some ingredients.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon May 12, 2014 9:06 am

Picked up Bulletstorm, Dishonored and Medal of Honor: Warfighter today for $60AUD.
Not expecting great things from any, but I'm just after fun over function at the moment.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

CrappyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrappyMike » Mon May 12, 2014 9:44 am

Dishonoured is meant to be really good, didn't play it enough to really know. Same with bullet storm, usually hear good things about those 2 games.

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon May 12, 2014 9:54 am

Bulletstorm came well recommended by the guy at EB games the other day. I mentioned that I loved Duke Nukem Forever and he said I should check it out. Plus Yahtzee's review of it was actually pretty favourable.

My mate Kyle recommended Dishonored after he played through it. Just hoping it's not ALL sneaky-slash, as I spent the Dark Brotherhood missions in Skyrim just walking in and burying an axe in the victim's face then legging it. Not keen on stealth.

Not expecting anything good with Warfighter. I was eyeing up COD: Ghosts for brainless "shoot the foreign guy because reasons" but didn't really fancy coughing up $78 for what's inevitably going to be a short campaign and a lot of focus on a multiplayer feature that I won't use/will be hugely overpowered on. Figured I'd get the same from that, as I quite enjoyed the previous Medal of Honor.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

herzeleid
Denim Demon

Postby herzeleid » Mon May 12, 2014 10:56 am

Applecore wrote:Bulletstorm came well recommended by the guy at EB games the other day. I mentioned that I loved Duke Nukem Forever and he said I should check it out. Plus Yahtzee's review of it was actually pretty favourable.

My mate Kyle recommended Dishonored after he played through it. Just hoping it's not ALL sneaky-slash, as I spent the Dark Brotherhood missions in Skyrim just walking in and burying an axe in the victim's face then legging it. Not keen on stealth.

Not expecting anything good with Warfighter. I was eyeing up COD: Ghosts for brainless "shoot the foreign guy because reasons" but didn't really fancy coughing up $78 for what's inevitably going to be a short campaign and a lot of focus on a multiplayer feature that I won't use/will be hugely overpowered on. Figured I'd get the same from that, as I quite enjoyed the previous Medal of Honor.

S-someone else like Duke Nukem Forever?! Yay! It was good, and funny.

skull-wart
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby skull-wart » Mon May 12, 2014 10:58 am

Duke Nukem forever... *shudders*
Andrewhall28 wrote:Yep, unlike King, Labrie can actually sing

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Mon May 12, 2014 11:29 am

I LOVED Duke Nukem Forever.
Yes, it brought next to nothing new to the table. Sure, its plot could fit on a tiny piece of paper. Alright, the graphics were nowhere near the standard you'd expect of a game 15 years in the making.

But it's a fucking Duke Nukem game. It doesn't have to be anything but strafing while shooting rockets at floating octobrains and rescuing babes, while the titular character recites one-liners, mostly robbed from 80s movies.
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Mon May 12, 2014 11:55 am

Applecore wrote:I LOVED Duke Nukem Forever.
Yes, it brought next to nothing new to the table. Sure, its plot could fit on a tiny piece of paper. Alright, the graphics were nowhere near the standard you'd expect of a game 15 years in the making.

But it's a fucking Duke Nukem game. It doesn't have to be anything but strafing while shooting rockets at floating octobrains and rescuing babes, while the titular character recites one-liners, mostly robbed from 80s movies.

This. I didn't try to take it seriously and enjoyed it immensely.

Also, after Batman: Arkham Origins I have this pile of games, what to play?

Dead Space
Dead Space 2
Gears of War 2/3
Tomb Raider
Hitman: Absolution
Aliens Colonial Marines
Max Payne 3
Borderlands
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Mon May 12, 2014 11:57 am

Max Payne 3. I loved that game so hard.

mikeftw
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby mikeftw » Mon May 12, 2014 12:01 pm

Jobdone wrote:Max Payne 3. I loved that game so hard.

Just no

Dead Space all the way out of them choices