Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
Jobdone
Denim Demon

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby Jobdone » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:31 am

Burnout Paradise for 1.99?

Don't mind if I do steam.

Twaddlefish
Denim Demon

Postby Twaddlefish » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:38 am

Ensorcelled wrote:Fuuuuck Guild Wars is awesome. RIP WoW :D

Damn right. Currently mesmer-ing in Astorea.
Littlemissmetal wrote:Women are stupid, as a rule.

Latest review: Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes

Idols
Warrior of Metal

Postby Idols » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:48 am

God damn it. My friend had a spare GW2 beta invite but I am having PC issues at the moment so cannot play :(

My PC cuts all video output to the monitor whenever I start up a semi-demanding game. Vindictus, Guns of Icarus, just anything remotely taxing on the hardware. The graphics card's fan goes louder and the monitor goes black. Any ideas? I'm guessing overheating or a dodgy PSU, but don't want to buy anything I don't need.

Delightful-Jim
Denim Demon

Postby Delightful-Jim » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:44 am

I only wanted a beta code to see if my laptop could run it.

Yes, it's heresy I know. But I wanted a laptop more than a desktop and if it can run games, awesome. It's a bonus.

If my thing can run Portal, Unreal Tournament 3, DC Universe Online and The Old Republic, it's a fair guess to say it can run Guild Wars 2 on low-res setting yes?
If I like it, It's probably awful.

Clutch, Kamelot and The Ocean for BOA 2014 pls!

TheDarkProject
Definitely Not Nu

Postby TheDarkProject » Sat Jul 21, 2012 5:03 pm

Idols wrote:God damn it. My friend had a spare GW2 beta invite but I am having PC issues at the moment so cannot play :(

My PC cuts all video output to the monitor whenever I start up a semi-demanding game. Vindictus, Guns of Icarus, just anything remotely taxing on the hardware. The graphics card's fan goes louder and the monitor goes black. Any ideas? I'm guessing overheating or a dodgy PSU, but don't want to buy anything I don't need.

Is this an instant thing, or does it take a while to kick in? And has it always been this way?

Some motherboards have a system where they use the on-board graphics for undemanding tasks and then automatically switch to a proper graphics card when certain criteria are met, although I've never met anybody who actually had this switched on.

More likely it's just a broken graphics card, or insufficient power to it, either due to lacking a connection or a problem with the PSU. What wattage is it, and what's the card?

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:22 pm

Idols wrote:God damn it. My friend had a spare GW2 beta invite but I am having PC issues at the moment so cannot play :(

Install a temperature monitor that reports on GPU temps (like realtemp), and make it keep a log so you can check what your temps were during the blackouts. If they're not particularly high (modern GPUs can withstand temps up to 100℃ with no problems), then it's probably a power issue, or a dodgy GPU.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Slayer-ov-orcs
Denim Demon

Postby Slayer-ov-orcs » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:39 pm

Bought civ 5 earlier, I still have Portal 2 and Deus Ex Human Revolution (including the expansion) to finish though.
Feel free to add me on last.fm http://www.last.fm/user/Slayer-ov-orcs

MotherLicker
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby MotherLicker » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:49 pm

Buy a console :P
Feel free to add me on Xbox Live - SnakeBiteKiss
My Last FM

Jobdone
Denim Demon

Postby Jobdone » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:13 pm

I finished my first run through of Fallout New Vegas.

Ended up supporting Caesars Legion because fuck you cruxification is awesome.

They brought peace in their own way.

Now to replay it with some other style. Possibly as a rampaging madman who kills everyone.

Womble
Denim Demon

Postby Womble » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:53 pm

Jobdone wrote:I finished my first run through of Fallout New Vegas.

Ended up supporting Caesars Legion because fuck you cruxification is awesome.

They brought peace in their own way.

Now to replay it with some other style. Possibly as a rampaging madman who kills everyone.

That game gave me a massive boner for actually pronouncing Caesar correctly.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Sat Jul 21, 2012 10:56 pm

Picked up Oblivion GOTY and Morrowind GOTY for £6-odd earlier. This makes me happy that I didn't just pay the £12 Oblivion was at yesterday :D
Steam = Starchild

Catch me at:
Nightwish - London

Gojira - London
Sabaton - London

Idols
Warrior of Metal

Postby Idols » Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:26 pm

Delightful-Jim wrote:If my thing can run Portal, Unreal Tournament 3, DC Universe Online and The Old Republic, it's a fair guess to say it can run Guild Wars 2 on low-res setting yes?

Those are fairly low-spec games, google the specs for GW and compare them to your laptop's specs.

TheDarkProject wrote:Is this an instant thing, or does it take a while to kick in? And has it always been this way?

Some motherboards have a system where they use the on-board graphics for undemanding tasks and then automatically switch to a proper graphics card when certain criteria are met, although I've never met anybody who actually had this switched on.

More likely it's just a broken graphics card, or insufficient power to it, either due to lacking a connection or a problem with the PSU. What wattage is it, and what's the card?

It occurs within 10 or so seconds of entering actual gameplay, sometimes even in a menu. My motherboard does not have on-board graphics.

It's a 550w PSU and a GTX460, which are apparently prone to overheating. I do have a spare card but it is a GT260 or something similar so i'm not sure what it could run anyway. Will give it a go.

WorMzy wrote: Install a temperature monitor that reports on GPU temps (like realtemp), and make it keep a log so you can check what your temps were during the blackouts. If they're not particularly high (modern GPUs can withstand temps up to 100℃ with no problems), then it's probably a power issue, or a dodgy GPU.

I'll definitely try that, thanks.

Motherlicker wrote:Buy a console :P

Ha! I own several. Many of my genres are better on or exclusive to PC though, so... :(

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:38 am

Ensorcelled wrote:Fuuuuck Guild Wars is awesome. RIP WoW :D

I am disappoint, son.

Twaddlefish
Denim Demon

Postby Twaddlefish » Sun Jul 22, 2012 10:33 am

GW2 isn't a WoW killer. It'll never replace it, simply because it's a completely different style of game. I can, however, expect it to become it's main competitor.

LOTRO is the closest anything's come to be a WoW killer, partly because of the lore and partly because it's a prettier version of Warcraft that does almost nothing different.
Littlemissmetal wrote:Women are stupid, as a rule.

Latest review: Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes

Applecore
Denim Demon

Postby Applecore » Sun Jul 22, 2012 7:33 pm

Just finished the main campaign on Medal of Honor. Enjoyed it thoroughly, even if it was very "America, fuck yeah!" for the most part. I even caught myself saying "Surprise, cockfags!" as I blew up a Taliban bunker with an Apache..
Only major issue with it though is that in sniper and Apache missions where you have specific targets, the most direction you're given is "over there, behind the rocks". It's set in Afghanistan - it's ALL rocks!
Buy me a beer at:
8-11/8 - Bloodstock