Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby RedTeamWins » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:51 pm

WorMzy wrote:I also just played through The Pitt on Fallout 3. Pretty nifty, and I enjoyed the freedom of choice in this one. I turned my back on the slaves. 8)

I did that as well. I didn't find the slavers to be that evil really, especially the boss guy who really seemed to have the right idea. The slaves just seemed to be short sighted reactionaries, which is an odd stance for a game to take.

Hopefully 'broken steel' will make me care about fallout again. It's a deceptively short game.

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Wed Apr 29, 2009 7:54 pm

Going to have to get a ton of expanded content when I get back home. Been itching to play Fallout 3 again all week...

Johnny Tightlips
Denim Demon

Postby Johnny Tightlips » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:16 pm

Finished UT3 single player yesterday. I'd say overall its the best UT game since the original. Some of the weapons are spot on now (the slower firing sniper rifle was a wise decision) and the rocket launcher is the best its ever been. The only complaint I had was that they seemed to think it was necassary to put a storyline into the single player mode, rather than just keeping it tournament style.

Some changes in announcer sounds too. "FLAK MONKEY!" is now "FLAK MASTER!" (a definte step down :( ) but you do now have (for good consistent use of the rocket launcher) "ROCKET SCIENTIST!" which made me piss myself laughing for a good 10 minutes :lol:

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Wed May 06, 2009 5:01 pm

Anyone got the new fallout 3 DLC - 'Broken steel'?

fluffymoo
Denim Demon

Postby fluffymoo » Wed May 06, 2009 5:46 pm

I got Left 4 Dead from my brother a couple of weeks ago, been playing it for a while now and I love it! Since I started my break from WoW I've been enjoying L4D a lot, plus I love blowing things up with those pipe bombs..

Also, been nerding Age of Mythology (expansion excluded, I didn't like that one too much) and played some Portal as well.

Anyways, I really recommend Left 4 Dead if you like zombie games :) I personally like the online campaigns :yes:

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Wed May 06, 2009 5:49 pm

RedTeamWins wrote:Anyone got the new fallout 3 DLC - 'Broken steel'?

Not yet, there's only a German version up so far (that I've found), I'm waiting for an English version.

Until then, playing a bit more Empire.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Twaddlefish
Denim Demon

Postby Twaddlefish » Wed May 06, 2009 6:35 pm

andeh wrote:
Twaddlefish wrote:I got Mass Effect. Actually quite good.

You're learning T-fish. This is excellent. You'll have a 360 by this time next I reckon. New MAss Effect is out next year I believe :D

Nope, because RPGs are better on PCs! :lol:

Me and my housemate (a girl!) have been playing L4D a lot together and weirding out the other people we live with!
Littlemissmetal wrote:Women are stupid, as a rule.

Latest review: Ensiferum - Unsung Heroes

Schizoid
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Schizoid » Wed May 06, 2009 10:00 pm

RedTeamWins wrote:

It's also a 'rape simulator' where you can 'sodomize anyone you want' according to some American journalists... :rolleyes:

Is that because of the one sex scene in the game where you can choose to do either the man, the woman, or the alien? How sad.
Well good game though, I played through it 3 or 4 times I think :D

Blaken
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Blaken » Thu May 07, 2009 8:58 am

RedTeamWins wrote:
Hopefully 'broken steel' will make me care about fallout again. It's a deceptively short game.

That's reeeeeaally not true though is it? I mean, granted the main campaign is rather brief, but nothing about that game urges you to just stick to the main path. Anybody that does has clearly completely missed its beauty (in my opinion at least.)

I must attest to still not having finished the game, despite racking up an insane amount of hours (literally at least triple what I've played of any other PS3 game (and yes I have a PS3 not an Xbox)) and not even being half way through the main campaign.

andeh
Denim Demon

Postby andeh » Thu May 07, 2009 4:58 pm

Schizoid wrote:
RedTeamWins wrote:

It's also a 'rape simulator' where you can 'sodomize anyone you want' according to some American journalists... :rolleyes:

Is that because of the one sex scene in the game where you can choose to do either the man, the woman, or the alien? How sad.

Actually there's 2 if you play your cards right.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Thu May 07, 2009 5:18 pm

I've got Broken Steel now, and it's buggy as hell.

Two weeks later... aaaaand your stuck on a table. After following advice by a commenter, I removed script package 010009e2 via the console, and enabled player controls and was finally free to wander about again. Talked to Elder Lyons, who told me to talk to Rothwell (I think that's what he's called), who told me to talk to some guy out in the wilderness somewhere, aaaaaand.. that guy can't be found. Your map pointer points you to a hallway in the citadel, where nobody is standing.

I quit without saving, and downloaded the 1.5 patch available on Bethesda's website (well actually, I had to follow about 12 external links before I found the damn thing). I've just finished installing that, and I'm gonna try it again.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Thu May 07, 2009 6:06 pm

Blaken wrote:
RedTeamWins wrote:

That's reeeeeaally not true though is it? I mean, granted the main campaign is rather brief, but nothing about that game urges you to just stick to the main path. Anybody that does has clearly completely missed its beauty (in my opinion at least.)

I must attest to still not having finished the game, despite racking up an insane amount of hours (literally at least triple what I've played of any other PS3 game (and yes I have a PS3 not an Xbox)) and not even being half way through the main campaign.

Nah, it is pretty short.
There's, what, less than a dozen side quests? And no equivalent of guilds or factions to join. The environment is both smaller and less interesting than oblivion (massively so if you compare it to morrowind), most of the locations are little more than abandoned houses or the odd cave.

Anyway, Broken steel is downloading as I type, hopefully it'll work.

novaekulla
Consort of the Beast

Postby novaekulla » Sat May 09, 2009 2:46 pm

House of the Dead Overkill is great fun. Unbelievably easy to do but so much damned fun.
It's essentially fan service in a game. I bloody love it ^^
BLOODstock FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Malefic
Consort of the Beast

Postby Malefic » Sun May 10, 2009 6:52 am

Guitar Hero Van Halen. Very nice indeed :D

CrapyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrapyMike » Sun May 10, 2009 11:52 am

RedTeamWins wrote:
Blaken wrote:
RedTeamWins wrote:

Nah, it is pretty short.
There's, what, less than a dozen side quests? And no equivalent of guilds or factions to join. The environment is both smaller and less interesting than oblivion (massively so if you compare it to morrowind), most of the locations are little more than abandoned houses or the odd cave.

Anyway, Broken steel is downloading as I type, hopefully it'll work.

i actually couldnt get into itbecause i kept comparing it to oblivion, which is far superior

borrowed wolverine from my brother, its great fun, only loosely based around the movie and pretty violent too :D

got the new dlc for saints row 2 as well, the new vehicles are cool but it crasged at the end of the first new mission :(
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Is there an actual science of giving medical diagnosis by sniffing poo? I sometimes have a bit of a wiff from the paper and get curious if it smells different than usual.

http://www.last.fm/user/CrappyMike