Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby RedTeamWins » Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:15 pm

Moonburp wrote:For some reason, Oblivion's less fun than I remember it being. Although I last played it properly before Fallout 3 came out, which seemed to have patched up a lot of the stuff that was wrong in Oblivion. Not that I don't like it now, far from it. It just doesn't feel all too special any more.

I know what you mean. I remember being really impressed with the graphics of all things, but when I look back on it now it's propper ropey by comparison. As far as how fun it is, I wouldn't know, but I think having played through every single quest in the game (some multiple times) will have killed it a bit.

RB2610
Denim Demon

Postby RB2610 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:14 pm

I installed it for the first time in a year after playing FO3 for ages over the summer and I was also disappointed, however after turning the settings up a bit and some mods it's awesome again 8)

Admittedly the graphics could still do with some improvement, but more importantly I wish they'd have given it dual cpu compatability, which apparently it doesn't have, and my cpu is pretty bad other than being dual core, so it runs fairly jumpily, and the draw distances are fairly poor, and cause jumpiness when particularly big objects appear.
There must be a mod for this somewhere... :eyes:

Hmmmmm, wonder whether installing the PhysX drivers for my GPU would improve performance...
Winner of "The who are you again? Award for people who seem to slip under the radar, despite posting regularly" 2009!!

CrapyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrapyMike » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:51 pm

whenever people have problems gaming on a pc, my first thought is "..buy a console?" but with oblivion i think the mods give the pc version a huge advantage over the console version
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Is there an actual science of giving medical diagnosis by sniffing poo? I sometimes have a bit of a wiff from the paper and get curious if it smells different than usual.

http://www.last.fm/user/CrappyMike

RB2610
Denim Demon

Postby RB2610 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:04 pm

Plus I already have a 360 and would never even consider buying an Elder Scrolls or Fallout game on it unless it was made 360 exclusive for some stupid reason :p

*prays they never move to console only, as that would fail epicly*
Winner of "The who are you again? Award for people who seem to slip under the radar, despite posting regularly" 2009!!

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:37 pm

Made me laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dB8wBr76Jg

Thing is the plot is pretty much like that.

RB2610
Denim Demon

Postby RB2610 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:00 pm

RedTeamWins wrote:Made me laugh:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dB8wBr76Jg

Thing is the plot is pretty much like that.

Hehehe,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1uVi41I1oc&feature=fvw

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:32 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4DHllroiqM

Never played the games, but I hear it's basically a direct port from game to movie.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

RB2610
Denim Demon

Postby RB2610 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:35 pm

Ahahahahaha :lol: :lol: :lol:

CrapyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrapyMike » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:15 am

RB2610 wrote:Plus I already have a 360 and would never even consider buying an Elder Scrolls or Fallout game on it unless it was made 360 exclusive for some stupid reason :p

*prays they never move to console only, as that would fail epicly*

ah well i would never be able to play them on PC, just cause im rubbish at keyboard and mouse gaming
i used to play loads of pc games (shadow warrior being the greatest one of all time), but once i started playing on consoles i never even considered going back to the pc, as most people wont be able to get their games running as well as they do on a console, just cause their pc isnt good enough, or they cant afford a decent pc, and buying a console is just far easier in the long run
that said, i do envy some of the things pc gamers can do that console gamers cant, like mods for games like oblivion, and the quest builder for dragon age
Matty_the_Emo_Slayer wrote:Is there an actual science of giving medical diagnosis by sniffing poo? I sometimes have a bit of a wiff from the paper and get curious if it smells different than usual.

RB2610
Denim Demon

Postby RB2610 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:19 am

You can use a 360 control pad on Oblivion if you're really desperate, but it works shit and you need to do loads of faffing around to get it to work :(
Fallout 3 however works perfectly with a 360 pad 8) :D

CrapyMike
Denim Demon

Postby CrapyMike » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:20 am

see, if that worked id do it for oblivion, but i wouldnt bother if it only works for a few games

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:20 am

Someone here plays/played Dwarf Fortress, I'm sure of it.

Well, who ever it was (+anyone else who may be interested), there's a new version out: 0.31.01. I have no time to play it at the moment, but I had a quick look at the testing arena, and wow. I can't wait to really sink my teeth into it when I get chance.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:14 pm

I think I might replay Shadow of the Colossus. 8)

RedTeamWins
Denim Demon

Postby RedTeamWins » Sat Apr 03, 2010 5:57 pm

VizardAmata wrote:I think I might replay Shadow of the Colossus. 8)

Now there's an idea. I never got to play it, but it should be pretty cheap now I rekon. Hmmm...

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:26 pm

Yeah, go for it! It's very good, it's got great original gameplay and the story is pretty nice too.