Computer Games Thread

Put the world to rights here (off-topic discussion)
WorMzy
Denim Demon

Re: Computer Games Thread

Postby WorMzy » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:54 pm

Valve made TF2 available to non-beta Linux Steam testers. It works flawlessly, perhaps even better than it does on Windows. :D
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:26 pm

Mates lent me Batman Arkham Asylum for a bit. I am actually enjoying it.

karastorm
Warrior of Metal

Postby karastorm » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:18 pm

So what's a cheaper alternative then Alien ware, Since it's good but it's not worth the cost.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:54 pm

karastorm wrote:So what's a cheaper alternative then Alien ware, Since it's good but it's not worth the cost.

Depends which alienware you're after. Dell XPS laptops tend to have high specs but are cheaper. Look on the outlet and you can sometimes get a pretty good deal:

http://www.dell.com/uk/dfh/p/xps-laptops?~ck=anav
Steam = Starchild
Facebook

Catch me at:
20/6/20 - Rammstein - Coventry

karastorm
Warrior of Metal

Postby karastorm » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:25 pm

TBH I was more looking into building my own rig with some Ati Radon or Nivarda card set in it with a decent quad core ( if I can find a good motherbourd that is). Problem I seem to having is finding the ram chip sets that fit or go well with those cards. Looking into buying a 1000 gig fat card or a 7 if I could find them cheap.

Down side is overclocking and making the processors work as well..Yeah hence why I'm wanting a real rig not a laptop any more but a nice tower I can "mend" as time go's on. May give dell a look.

Moonburp
Denim Demon

Postby Moonburp » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:37 pm

If you're after a good gaming PC, build it yourself. Much cheaper.

kanet666
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby kanet666 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:49 pm

karastorm wrote:TBH I was more looking into building my own rig with some Ati Radon or Nivarda card set in it with a decent quad core ( if I can find a good motherbourd that is). Problem I seem to having is finding the ram chip sets that fit or go well with those cards. Looking into buying a 1000 gig fat card or a 7 if I could find them cheap.

Down side is overclocking and making the processors work as well..Yeah hence why I'm wanting a real rig not a laptop any more but a nice tower I can "mend" as time go's on. May give dell a look.

For some reason I forgot that Alienware produced PC towers as well. Yeah, if you're after a powerful tower it's usually cheaper to build your own.
Steam = Starchild
Facebook

Catch me at:
20/6/20 - Rammstein - Coventry

karastorm
Warrior of Metal

Postby karastorm » Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:54 pm

looks like I'll be going down that route. Just got to price up what I want and make sure it'll all run and play nice together now.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:47 pm

Steam sale is on, guys. They have The Walking Dead for about a tenner. I am seriously tempted.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:11 pm

VizardAmata wrote:Steam sale is on, guys. They have The Walking Dead for about a tenner. I am seriously tempted.

Same thing that is on Market place for 400 microsoft points? I just downloaded the demo. Bored out my ass.

WorMzy
Denim Demon

Postby WorMzy » Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:32 pm

kanet666 wrote:
karastorm wrote:So what's a cheaper alternative then Alien ware, Since it's good but it's not worth the cost.

Depends which alienware you're after. Dell XPS laptops tend to have high specs but are cheaper.

Don't buy a laptop for gaming. Ever. "Gaming laptop" is an oxymoron.

As for not buying an Alienware, it depends on whether you want Windows. If you already have an OEM licence for Windows, then it's cheaper to build your own PC. Likewise if you're able to get it for free (e.g. Student license).

I prefer to build my own PCs in any case.
"I don't always go to clubs... but when I do, I enter through the ladies room"
~ Adam Jenson

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:58 am

Turbo wrote:
VizardAmata wrote:Steam sale is on, guys. They have The Walking Dead for about a tenner. I am seriously tempted.

Same thing that is on Market place for 400 microsoft points? I just downloaded the demo. Bored out my ass.

Doubt it would be that cheap for the whole thing... it's an episodic game, so may just be part one or something? It's not for everyone, sure, but I really like how your decisions actually really shape the game.

Turbo
Denim Demon

Postby Turbo » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:12 pm

VizardAmata wrote:
Turbo wrote:

Doubt it would be that cheap for the whole thing... it's an episodic game, so may just be part one or something? It's not for everyone, sure, but I really like how your decisions actually really shape the game.

Perhaps I just wanted to be dropped in the thick of it right in the first 5 minutes, but I was searching a neighbours shitty flat and couldn't find anything. Controls are a bit rubbish on the xbox, so id imagine this would be much better on PC.

Achieved my first Bank Shot on Black Ops 2. About fucking time, I am rank 27 now. God. Losing my touch. Wacked it into the fileshare because I was very much on the deaths door when the tomahawk was deployed.

Brendancoles
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Brendancoles » Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:48 pm

Damn I shouldn't have looked at this thread, I didn't need to know about the steam sale, I was blissfully unaware until now. Now my bank balance is gonna feel it for sure.

Ensorcelled
Denim Demon

Postby Ensorcelled » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:06 pm

Everyone should get Arma II for DayZ.