Video Screens in 2017

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
thespis_mellie
Definitely Not Nu

Video Screens in 2017

Postby thespis_mellie » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:47 am

I posted this as a reply on the 2016 thread, but thought it might deserve its own topic!

The video screens. They're awesome - they let people further back see (a necessity with how well the festival is growing) and there's some stuff to watch while you're getting ready for the next band to start.

However. This year there were only about four different songs on.

Obviously this is advertising and it's earning BOA money, which can only be a good thing because more money = better festival. But! The advertising is having the opposite of the intended effect because it is repeated SO often - so it's putting people off. (I got sick of it, and I spent most of my time at Sophie / Jaeger.)

The first time they hear the ads, people think, 'Ooh, Airbourne has a new song, I must check that out." The 80th time, they think, 'If I never hear this song again it'll be too soon.' Surely this is the opposite of the intended effect of advertising!

If the screens showed other, non-commerical content as well, along WITH the ads, then the ads would be more effective.

My ideas for the use of the big screens:

-music videos for the bands playing the New Blood / Jaeger tents to give them some extra exposure and draw people to their sets

-pre-festival interviews with the bands

-pre-festival interviews with the organisers

-interviews with bands who have played in the past

-interviews with the crowd ('Why do you love Bloodstock?')

-hold a competition where people can submit shorts of 5 minutes or fewer on certain relevant themes (music, metal, festivals, etc.) and run the entertaining submissions.

-videos from previous BOA performances (though not sure how that would go legally, assume it would be covered by the festival's PRS license?)

-the Hypnotoad

So - what are other people's suggestions for using the big screens between bands?
Symphonic metal, joint-fronted by 'sopranos with balls' - http://www.aoniaband.co.uk

chrisharry
Lowly Peon

Re: Video Screens in 2017

Postby chrisharry » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:30 pm

Boobs.

Nah im happy with it being adverts/ bands music videos if its helping to fund the festival. Just not the same 4 on repeat all fucking weekend!

Tetsemine
Lowly Peon

Postby Tetsemine » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:39 pm

My friends and I said this last year with the constant Cradle song being played. It does get pretty irritating. Slightly unrelated to the advertising but the left screen was pretty screwed most of the weekend as well.

The Hypnotoad would be a laugh though - as long as it was only once a day.

thespis_mellie
Definitely Not Nu

Postby thespis_mellie » Tue Aug 16, 2016 2:39 pm

chrisharry wrote:Boobs.

Nah im happy with it being adverts/ bands music videos if its helping to fund the festival. Just not the same 4 on repeat all fucking weekend!

Hah!

Yeah, totally agree - don't mind adverts as they fund the festival but maybe the people paying for the advertising could have sent in a wider variety? Surely there must be more than 3 albums Earache is trying to push at the minute?
Symphonic metal, joint-fronted by 'sopranos with balls' - http://www.aoniaband.co.uk

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Skippy » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:46 pm

Last year only having 3 seemed like a mistake (I'm fairly sure it got stuck on the fourth song so they just kept repeating the three that worked, but eventually got it working so there were a few more tunes. This year though they seemed to have got rid of the Nuclear Blast sponsorship, and only having that one song (and three snippets) is the biggest complaint I have from the festival. Having interviews and the like would be pretty good, but at this point I wouldn't even complain if they just went back to having the same ten or so songs on repeat from whatever record label, as long as it was a sizable number. Hell, I wouldn't complain if they had adverts for Now 9324, so long as they varied them.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

tmcgoay
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby tmcgoay » Tue Aug 16, 2016 9:26 pm

BOA '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `18, '19
Beermageddon '12, '13, '14, '15, `16, `17, `18, '19
SRS '12
EMFA '20

http://www.pandemoniumclub.co.uk/
http://www.beermageddon.co.uk/

thespis_mellie
Definitely Not Nu

Postby thespis_mellie » Tue Aug 16, 2016 11:44 pm

tmcgoay wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHU2RlSCdxUthis played twice daily

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.

manic_stranger
Definitely Not Nu

Postby manic_stranger » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:00 pm

I'll be honest; I made a constant decision to not buy any of the advertised released from Earache as it just became hugely annoying :lol: :lol:

The suggestions for interviews, different videos, dual sponsorship potential does make much more sense.

In terms of previous performances from BOA, this is obviously accessible via the YouTube channel so don't see why this should be an issue PRS wise - bloody good idea!
Bring back Gotthard!!

thespis_mellie
Definitely Not Nu

Postby thespis_mellie » Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks, manic_stranger! :)

GTFCMike
Definitely Not Nu

Postby GTFCMike » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:51 pm

thespis_mellie wrote:I posted this as a reply on the 2016 thread, but thought it might deserve its own topic!

The video screens. They're awesome - they let people further back see (a necessity with how well the festival is growing) and there's some stuff to watch while you're getting ready for the next band to start.

However. This year there were only about four different songs on.

Obviously this is advertising and it's earning BOA money, which can only be a good thing because more money = better festival. But! The advertising is having the opposite of the intended effect because it is repeated SO often - so it's putting people off. (I got sick of it, and I spent most of my time at Sophie / Jaeger.)

The first time they hear the ads, people think, 'Ooh, Airbourne has a new song, I must check that out." The 80th time, they think, 'If I never hear this song again it'll be too soon.' Surely this is the opposite of the intended effect of advertising!

If the screens showed other, non-commerical content as well, along WITH the ads, then the ads would be more effective.

My ideas for the use of the big screens:

-music videos for the bands playing the New Blood / Jaeger tents to give them some extra exposure and draw people to their sets

-pre-festival interviews with the bands

-pre-festival interviews with the organisers

-interviews with bands who have played in the past

-interviews with the crowd ('Why do you love Bloodstock?')

-hold a competition where people can submit shorts of 5 minutes or fewer on certain relevant themes (music, metal, festivals, etc.) and run the entertaining submissions.

-videos from previous BOA performances (though not sure how that would go legally, assume it would be covered by the festival's PRS license?)

-the Hypnotoad

So - what are other people's suggestions for using the big screens between bands?

Big thumbs up to this :yes: :rock:
Come on Bloodstock. You know you want to. Hypocrisy. Sort it, Bloodstock! ;)

Brendancoles
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Brendancoles » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:35 am

I do like the idea of interviews with bands etc. as long as the interviews are pretty much all conducted with Abbath.