Bizza wrote:Blind Guardian
Amon Amarth
Testament
Whitesnake
Powerquest
Parkway Drive
Emperor

Is my guess.

Didn't they say they'd be one headliner and SG announced? Amon Amarth, Whitesnake and Emperor would all be headliners with Blind Guardian special guest level, so I can't see that happening.

Saw Whitesnake at Hellfest a few years back, bit of a yawn fest, I hope they haven't been booked.

Skippy
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Skippy » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:41 pm

I'd be pretty happy with Whitesnake, although I've never actually seen them and I've only heard bad things. It'd definitely be slightly more exciting than Megadeth again though.

I wonder if Blind Guardian are even considered big enough for Special Guests these days. Power metal has been very undervalued at Bloodstock lately, and if Bloodstock thinks they have someone bigger they might just push them down to the hour slot. Probably not, I personally would still put them bigger than Amon Amarth that people think could headline but I guess we'll see.
BANDS I LIKE FOR BLOODSTOCK!!!

NecroSonata
Powermetal Child

Postby NecroSonata » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:57 pm

There's me foolishly assuming Blind Guardian would headline, but perhaps SG is more appropriate as suggested.

More bands playing excellent albums in full is what I want, in general.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:58 pm

Well they packed out Manchester Ritz which is the size of venue that most "special guests" play. In fact Saxon are playing there tonight. That was without being on a package deal like most bands are now days.

So yes, I would say they are capable of being special guests.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:05 pm

I've seen Whitesnake a few times over the years and while Mr Coverdale's voice isn't what it used to be, they put on a good show.

Would they be on my shortlist for headliners - no
Would I watch them again - yes and I would expect them to be pretty good
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:05 pm

bloodfiend wrote:
Bizza wrote:Blind Guardian
Amon Amarth
Testament
Whitesnake
Powerquest
Parkway Drive
Emperor

Is my guess.

Didn't they say they'd be one headliner and SG announced? Amon Amarth, Whitesnake and Emperor would all be headliners with Blind Guardian special guest level, so I can't see that happening.

Saw Whitesnake at Hellfest a few years back, bit of a yawn fest, I hope they haven't been booked.

Can't have been any more of a yawn fest than Mastodon or Opeth. If I never see either of those bands again it will be too soon.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:08 pm

Skippy wrote:I'd be pretty happy with Whitesnake, although I've never actually seen them and I've only heard bad things. It'd definitely be slightly more exciting than Megadeth again though.

I wonder if Blind Guardian are even considered big enough for Special Guests these days. Power metal has been very undervalued at Bloodstock lately, and if Bloodstock thinks they have someone bigger they might just push them down to the hour slot. Probably not, I personally would still put them bigger than Amon Amarth that people think could headline but I guess we'll see.

Well, apart from on certain occasions, the subs and 3rd top bands both tend to get 60 mins, so it's entirely possible BG could play that position. That's long enough for them to play Imaginations... in full (just shy of 50) plus one or two others (I guess The Bard's Tale and Mirror Mirror or something like that).

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:32 pm

Whitesnake would be good on paper but they were dreadful last year - they play in that heavier blunderbuss style that old bands seem to opt for now and the band do most of the heavy lifting singing wise - I don't think Coverdale sang two consecutive lines throughout - only really full singing Soldier of Fortune (which showed he could hit the notes, but couldn't hold them). IN the main it sounded like Metallica playing Deep Purple with Rob Zombie on vocals. That said, he is a rabble rouser and can still gee up a crowd. They have a quality set of chorus' for anyone wanting to help him out.

I'd heard the Parkway Drive rumour a few weeks ago, hope someone got their wires crossed. Its happened before.
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

bloodofthekings
Paster of Muppets

Postby bloodofthekings » Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:29 pm

The announcement being on Sunday makes me wonder if we're getting anyone from the Damnation Festival line-up this weekend? Can't really see anyone other than Abbath, Enslaved or Electric Wizard playing Bloodstock, mind.

someone else
Denim Demon

Postby someone else » Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:04 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:The announcement being on Sunday makes me wonder if we're getting anyone from the Damnation Festival line-up this weekend?

I think its on Sunday just because its being announced on Radio 1s Rock Show
She wanted nothing...and I delivered

http://www.last.fm/user/apm11

HanowarTrueMetal
Lowly Peon

Postby HanowarTrueMetal » Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:10 pm

We've already told you all that Hanowar are going to bring the steel and headline all of the stages for all three days, so I don't know what all this speculating of false metal bands playing is all about.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:54 pm

Blind Guardian are definitely special guests, they're quite popular in the UK nowadays, last album got to about 50 or so in the charts, they sold out the Forum and then came back and did a reasonably extensive UK tour which was packed everywhere apparently. That said, I'm not sure that Imaginations is a big enough deal to the average UK festival goer to be played in full. They'd be better off doing a 'best of' set. Blind Guardian and Amon Amarth guarantees me going.

JB65
Consort of the Beast

Postby JB65 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:00 pm

Whitesnake would need a headline slot to allow for all Coverdales waffelling and Aldrich's boring drum solo. No thanks.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Nov 03, 2016 1:40 am

Fantastic last time I saw them. May even get a few decent Purple songs as well. :D
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:45 am

Only ever seen Whitesnake once, about 10 years back. They were awful.