Next Announcement

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
Warlock
Leather Rebel

Re: Next Announcement

Postby Warlock » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:10 pm

houston4044 wrote:
Warlock wrote:
Hey that's not fair on the other bands putting them in the same category!

I have to agree with you there, the other bands are nowhere near as good as Five Finger Death Punch :P

Oi!!! Now I know you don't mean that :P

Lunasee wrote:I think I can predict next announcement;

Therion
Hammerfall
Stratovarius

I'd be fine with that, I'm not that into power but if we can have 3 death metal bands all in one go, then don't see why not to balance things out. Plus a mate loves Therion. Like Bloodfiend said, would sure beat the he'll out of some of the band's they book!

bloodofthekings wrote:I was, admittedly, being a bit facetious when I used the term 'Damnation bands' - it was done in the same way that, when any of the more 'mainstream' metal bands get booked, they are referred to as 'Download bands'.

Kidding aside though, it is disappointing that a single announcement focused entirely on death metal. Once again, extreme metal is far outweighing the melodic bands at the moment and hopefully that imbalance will be redressed. Blind Guardian was a step in the right direction but I hope the organisers don't just think that will keep the power metal fans happy for a whole weekend.

I thought you might of been, it's cool :yes:
I can see how it is disapointing for those not into death metal, Blind Guardian do have a big slot though so will get more time than the others, but I know it's not enough with just them representing the more melodic side. Hopefully they can continue to balance out the genres with future announcements and avoid alot of the rubbish we had last year!

Beardy
I am the Law!

Postby Beardy » Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:21 am

Probably doesn't help that the sole 'high profile power metal band' that have been booked are shite either ;-)

In all seriousness, I'd be happy to see some trad/power stuff added. Unfortunately most of the bands that fall into those categories that I like are either so small in this country that there's little to no chance of them being booked or they've split up.

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:44 am

Power Quest reformed recently didn't they? Surely they've be a good band for an early slot on the mainstage (opening or 2nd maybe). Would please the power metal fans, cost would be minimal, and they'd certainly go down better than the likes of Kill 2 This and Beholder.

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 1:21 pm

Power Quest seem a good shout. Could see them as a 2nd or 3rd band on on the main stage.

Soze
Denim Demon

Postby Soze » Thu Nov 24, 2016 6:37 pm

I loved Obituary back in the day, their first couple of albums are brilliant. Sadly they've done nothing of real interest since but they're still reliable live. Decapitated and Brujeria are shit though.

This announcement is a bit top heavy on death metal, hopefully that's the end of it for a while. As much as I loved the genre when it first came out it's real stale for me nowadays and I generally get bored watching most of them.

Really can't see Therion being booked, they were watched by one man and a dog last time and are probably quite pricey (being so much bigger in mainland Europe). Hammerfall are a good shout and we're well overdue an appearance from Gamma Ray.

Kanwulf
Denim Demon

Postby Kanwulf » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:36 pm

Soze wrote:I loved Obituary back in the day, their first couple of albums are brilliant. Sadly they've done nothing of real interest since but they're still reliable live. Decapitated and Brujeria are shit though.

This announcement is a bit top heavy on death metal, hopefully that's the end of it for a while. As much as I loved the genre when it first came out it's real stale for me nowadays and I generally get bored watching most of them.

Really can't see Therion being booked, they were watched by one man and a dog last time and are probably quite pricey (being so much bigger in mainland Europe). Hammerfall are a good shout and we're well overdue an appearance from Gamma Ray.

I've liked every Obituary album, but the new one (judging by the songs I've heard) sounds a bit shit. Brujeria are fucking class, love them to bits and wanted to see them for a long time. Agree that Decapitated are shite though.

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:34 am

bloodfiend wrote:Power Quest reformed recently didn't they? Surely they've be a good band for an early slot on the mainstage (opening or 2nd maybe). Would please the power metal fans, cost would be minimal, and they'd certainly go down better than the likes of Kill 2 This and Beholder.

I agree it would be a far better booking than those, they always seem to lack power and melodic stuff lower down.

Warlock
Leather Rebel

Postby Warlock » Fri Nov 25, 2016 1:38 am

Blake_Porter wrote:I've liked every Obituary album, but the new one (judging by the songs I've heard) sounds a bit shit. Brujeria are fucking class, love them to bits and wanted to see them for a long time. Agree that Decapitated are shite though.

I'm glad someone else likes Brujeria, thought I might be the only one :yes:

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:00 am

They might be busy building a wall.
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

PowerThrash
Warrior of Metal

Postby PowerThrash » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:05 am

Soze wrote: and we're well overdue an appearance from Gamma Ray.

Yes :yes:

bloodfiend
Denim Demon

Postby bloodfiend » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:54 am

Soze wrote:

The crowd noticeably thinned out for Therion, but it wasn't a "small" crowd by any means, it was probably similar to the crowd Avantasia got in 2013....certainly nowhere near the small size that main stage crowds that the likes of Shining in 2014 and Stuck Mojo this year got. Therion didn't do themselves any favours that day anyway, starting with 2 songs from the awful Sitra Ahra album and playing Clavicula Nox, great song but really slow and long; was the worst time I've seen them and they're normally far better. I doubt they cost massively, they seem to play over quite a bit, would love to see them again but not sure they're touring next year.

Gamma Ray on the other hand definitely will come at significant cost, heavily requested by the old school fans, but would they get a big enough crowd to justify the expense? Unlikely.

Bearintown
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Bearintown » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:29 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:If anyone thinks that Obituary, Decapitated and Brujeria sound the same then I seriously suggest going to a hearing doctor.

All grunters tho

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:08 pm

Bearintown wrote:
Gandalf the Red wrote:If anyone thinks that Obituary, Decapitated and Brujeria sound the same then I seriously suggest going to a hearing doctor.

All grunters tho

That's like saying that all Power Metal bands are the same.

We've got one so we don't need anymore....
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 9:07 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Bearintown wrote:

All grunters tho

Didn't realize you worked for the booking team :P

Blake_Porter wrote:
I've liked every Obituary album, but the new one (judging by the songs I've heard) sounds a bit shit. Brujeria are fucking class, love them to bits and wanted to see them for a long time. Agree that Decapitated are shite though.

Do you mean Inked in Blood or the ones they've only debuted live and prefaced them as works in progress? Bit unfair to label the latter shit as they can change them before the new album comes out

Bearintown
Knight of the Eemerald Svord

Postby Bearintown » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:23 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:
Bearintown wrote:

All grunters tho

Have seen Brujeria and Obituary and I can tell the difference :lol:
Simple fact for me is that any singer/band that sings badly on purpose is crap, and I dont want to anywhere near them when they do so.
But hey get as many on at Bloodstock as you want, I just wont be there again :(
Thats not to say that some guys try to sing and are just as crap tho :D