Next Announcement

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Re: Next Announcement

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:39 pm

I didn't enjoy Opeth at all in 2015 and I would say Slayer were pretty dull last year.

I don't expect every band to bounce around stage like Iron Maiden but some interaction and looking reasonably happy to be playing is good.
You shall fetch me your universe's ultimate cup of coffee... black.
You have 5 Earth minutes...Make it perfect!

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:55 pm

Vicky has just tweeted "3rd March..."

Last headliner announcement maybe?

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:59 pm

I hope so!

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:11 pm

Quick - everyone check UK/Euro tours that are currently finishing up!

Powerslave
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Powerslave » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:11 pm

Kreator finish their UK run on the 2nd.....

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:19 pm

Don't think it's necessarily a tour that will have ended. They may have got permission from a band touring in march to go at the start of the month as they don't think it would effect sales too much

Kreator would be massively underwhelming as they are a third from top band really

bloodofthekings
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:30 pm

I'd be happy with Kreator provided there was a strong main support band underneath - kind of like their headlining tours really.

I'm not sure why, when you look at some of the bands that have headlined recently, people seem to think Kreator are too small. Using Manchester venues as a gauge, some of the recent headliners Bloodstock have had (e.g. 2011 onward) play venues the same size on their own headlining tours as Kreator are doing this month - W.A.S.P, Behemoth, Machine Head, Lamb of God, Down, Megadeth, Trivium, Mastodon, Amon Amarth.

If all those can headline, why can't Kreator?

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:46 pm

I'm wondering if it will be Kreator on the 3rd, but not as headliner (could see them being a SG tbh).

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:48 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:I'd be happy with Kreator provided there was a strong main support band underneath - kind of like their headlining tours really.

I'm not sure why, when you look at some of the bands that have headlined recently, people seem to think Kreator are too small. Using Manchester venues as a gauge, some of the recent headliners Bloodstock have had (e.g. 2011 onward) play venues the same size on their own headlining tours as Kreator are doing this month - W.A.S.P, Behemoth, Machine Head, Lamb of God, Down, Megadeth, Trivium, Mastodon, Amon Amarth.

I'd say because they are only playing two venues on the tour with very strong support. It's not like they are selling 6-8 of those venues with a normal support

I've nothing against them, and am not going to get into a big debate about it. Also last time behemoth played they were special guests and WASP would probably be third from top and were considered small for headlining when the festival was a lot smaller

cheesemason
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby cheesemason » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:54 pm

Of course, it's possible we could have co-headliners. And if they are it could be one co-headliner has had to be held back for their tour, but the other hasn't. I doubt they would announce one co-headliner without the other.

So being overly optimistic, maybe Emperor may co-headline. It won't happen, but clutching onto any hope they may play :lol:

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:46 pm

bloodofthekings wrote:

Why include Behemoth? when they sub-headlined last time they played. WASP also headlined in a much smaller year. Why not include Within Temptation, Rob Zombie, Alice Cooper? all recent headliners.

Kreator are playing 3 UK shows, with strong support from Sepultura, Soilwork and Aborted. Their newest album hit the UK chart at number 72.

On Mastodon's last UK tour, they played 8 shows in much bigger venues. Their last album hit number 10 in the UK chart.

Trivium's latest album tour, has been split in to 2 parts starting last year, they are playing 18 dates in total. Their newest album hit number 19 in the UK chart.

Amon Amarth are arguably a weak headliner, it's debateable as to whether they are big enough to headline, but even still, they played 5 UK shows last year as well as playing the main stage at Download. Their latest album hit number 30 in the UK chart.

Megadeth and Lamb of God played 4 shows in 2015 together; 2 of which were arena's. Their latest albums hit number 11 and number 7 in the UK chart.

Machine Head played 8 UK shows in purposefully smaller venues on their last UK tour, but they were still bigger than Kreator's venues. Their last album hit number 18 in the UK chart.

Down very rarely tour and it was hard to find any tour dates from them, the last tour I could find was 2008 and they did 8 shows in bigger venues than Kreator, their latest EP hit number 57 in the UK chart.

In short, Kreator aren't anywhere near big enough to headline BOA.

bloodofthekings
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby bloodofthekings » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:11 pm

metalicbear wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:

Why include Behemoth? when they sub-headlined last time they played. WASP also headlined in a much smaller year. Why not include Within Temptation, Rob Zombie, Alice Cooper? all recent headliners.

Kreator are playing 3 UK shows, with strong support from Sepultura, Soilwork and Aborted. Their newest album hit the UK chart at number 72.

On Mastodon's last UK tour, they played 8 shows in much bigger venues. Their last album hit number 10 in the UK chart.

Trivium's latest album tour, has been split in to 2 parts starting last year, they are playing 18 dates in total. Their newest album hit number 19 in the UK chart.

Amon Amarth are arguably a weak headliner, it's debateable as to whether they are big enough to headline, but even still, they played 5 UK shows last year as well as playing the main stage at Download. Their latest album hit number 30 in the UK chart.

Megadeth and Lamb of God played 4 shows in 2015 together; 2 of which were arena's. Their latest albums hit number 11 and number 7 in the UK chart.

Machine Head played 8 UK shows in purposefully smaller venues on their last UK tour, but they were still bigger than Kreator's venues. Their last album hit number 18 in the UK chart.

Down very rarely tour and it was hard to find any tour dates from them, the last tour I could find was 2008 and they did 8 shows in bigger venues than Kreator, their latest EP hit number 57 in the UK chart.

In short, Kreator aren't anywhere near big enough to headline BOA.

I included Behemoth because they headlined in 2012 and as I said, I was including headliners from 2011 onward. As for the festival being bigger now, I've been going every year since 2010 and tbh, whilst the odd headliner may be bigger (e.g. Rob Zombie) I don't think the festival in general has grown in size since then - it feels roughly the same to me.

I didn't include Within Temptation, Rob Zombie and Alice Cooper as I was referring to bands that would (and indeed have) played Manchester Academy on their own headlining tours - those three bands would/have play venues bigger than that (e.g. Apollo).

As for Megadeth and Lamb of God, their last respective headlining tours, when they hit Manchester, were in the Academy.

I take your point about chart positions for bands' albums but is that really the best gauge in an age where more and more people illegally download music and thus record sales have become much less important? Plus, I would argue that Mastodon attract a kind of 'alternative-hipster' crowd that wouldn't be seen dead at Bloodstock and wouldn't dream of even buying a day ticket for them (same goes for Devin Townsend and Ghost).

I'm not saying Kreator would be the strongest choice, I'm just saying that I don't think they are as far removed from that slot as some people seem to think. Personally, I would like Bloodstock to go back to the idea of co-headliners that they used to do circa 2009 where you would get decent set-lengths from two bands of a good size, rather than them blowing the cash on one headliner which is often rather underwhelming (e.g. Trivium).

mathewxentrix88
Leather Rebel

Postby mathewxentrix88 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:25 pm

I'm definitely thinking co-headliners now.Kreator/Epica/Opeth (pick 2 from 3).

Jay1993
Slayer of Wimps/Posers

Postby Jay1993 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:36 pm

Hopefully we'll get an announcement then! Can see it being Kreator as special guests, not sure they would have two thrash headliners.

CharlesDexterWard
Leather Rebel

Postby CharlesDexterWard » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:08 pm

Can see Kreator being announced (would be delighted) and I hope DTP may also appear somewhere on the bill this year.