Next Announcement

August 10-13, Catton Park, Walton on Trent, Derbyshire
bloodofthekings
Hell Bent for Leather

Re: Next Announcement

Postby bloodofthekings » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:47 pm

metalicbear wrote:I've just had a look at bands who wouldn't look out of place at BOA who are playing in Europe around BOA weekend; who haven't played recently or should be due a bump up -

Saxon - 3 years ago
Rhapsody - 6 years ago
Bloodbath - 10 years ago
Apocalyptica - 8 years ago
Morbid Angel - 6 years ago
Fates Warning - Never
Powerwolf - Never
Epica - 10 years ago
Alestorm - 9 years ago
Triptykon - 3 years ago
Metal Church - 11 years ago
Electric Wizard - Never
Lacuna Coil - 3 years ago
Delain - 2 years ago/SOPHIE stage
Candlemass - 8 years ago
Insomnium - 8 years ago
Tiamat - Never
Mayhem - 5 years ago
Flotsam and Jetsam - 3 years ago
Hammerfall - 6 years ago
Moonspell - 8 years ago
Iced Earth - 5 years ago
UFO - Never
Moonsorrow - 5 years ago
Grand Magus - 5 years ago
Amorphis - 4 years ago
Doro - 7 years ago
Rage - 7 years ago
Firewind - 4 years ago
Primordial - 3 years ago
Swallow the Sun - 9 years ago
Abbath - Never
Primal Fear - 9 years ago
Tankard - Never
Eluveite - 9 years ago
Subway to Sally - Never
British Lion - Never
Grave Digger - 6 years ago
Last in Line - 4 years ago
Corvus Corax - Never
Ross the Boss - 7 years ago
Masterplan - 12 years ago
Death Angel - 4 years ago
Kadavar - Never
Dirkschneider - Never
Batushka - Never
Wolves in the Throne Room - Never
Sleep - Never
Blues Pills - Never
Uli Jon Roth - Never
Elvenking - 15 years ago
Sacred Reich - Never
WarCry - Never
Einherjer - Never
Skalmold - Never
Raven - 12 years ago
Amaranthe - 6 years ago
Revocation - Never
Omnium Gatherum - 11 years ago
Twilight Force - Never
Graveworm - Never
Vital Remains - Never
Svart Crown - Never
Psychotic Waltz - Never
Vreid - Never
Sweet Savage - 5 years ago
Tsjuder - Never
Dr Living Dead - Never
Evil Invaders - Never
Kissin Dynamite - Never
Nervosa - Never
Skull Fist - Never
Thunder Mother - Never

I'm not saying ALL those bands would have been available but would it really have been THAT hard to get some of those to play instead of shite like King 810 and Broken Teeth?

Slev
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Slev » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:25 pm

Just to mention, Powerwolf have played BOA before;)

Slev
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Slev » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:40 pm

OK, so I came up a while back with teh following classicication system a while back. This devides metal into a few broad catagories. It ignores theme, style, etc, and get's down to broad catagorisations:

Streight Metal (i.e. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest)
Death Metal
Thrash Metal
Doom Metal
Power Metal
Prog Metal
Black Metal
Crossover Metal

Note that these are broad catagories, so "Power" woudl include "Symphonic", and "Death" would include "melodeath", and so on. For reasons I've argued elesewhwrr in teh past, I'm assuming that Nu Metal (and my externsion metalcore) is a seperate forms of rock music from Heavy Metal.

We get around 126 bands a year on the bill, or 16x8.

A "ballenced" bill would have 3-5 bands of each catagory each day, and 10+ bands over the weekend, to allow for some generes being less popular than others.

This would be a reasonably scientific way of looking at it without demanding representation for ever narrow sub-genre, and allows us to account for the different crowds the festival needs to appeal to to have a broad base of customers.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:27 pm

Somehow I don't think that you could call Judas Priest "straight" Metal.....

:eyes:
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

metalicbear
Consort of the Beast

Postby metalicbear » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:32 pm

Slev wrote:OK, so I came up a while back with teh following classicication system a while back. This devides metal into a few broad catagories. It ignores theme, style, etc, and get's down to broad catagorisations:

Streight Metal (i.e. Iron Maiden, Judas Priest)
Death Metal
Thrash Metal
Doom Metal
Power Metal
Prog Metal
Black Metal
Crossover Metal

Note that these are broad catagories, so "Power" woudl include "Symphonic", and "Death" would include "melodeath", and so on. For reasons I've argued elesewhwrr in teh past, I'm assuming that Nu Metal (and my externsion metalcore) is a seperate forms of rock music from Heavy Metal.

We get around 126 bands a year on the bill, or 16x8.

A "ballenced" bill would have 3-5 bands of each catagory each day, and 10+ bands over the weekend, to allow for some generes being less popular than others.

This would be a reasonably scientific way of looking at it without demanding representation for ever narrow sub-genre, and allows us to account for the different crowds the festival needs to appeal to to have a broad base of customers.

So to summarise, the lineup is far from balanced.

Slev
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Slev » Wed Jun 28, 2017 8:15 am

I've also seen it argued that "Glam Metal" should be on that list, as it's sufficiently different from the others, and that would adjust the numbers slightly.

I've further seen some people argue that Grunge is a form of metal, but I've never been convinced. That said, as it's closer to the "template" than Nu Metal, if Nu Metal is metal, so is Grunge.

But yes, mathmatically, not ballenced.
Last year, there was tonnes and tonnes of good doom for me. I love doom, but still wanted more variety in the bands I enjoy.

VizardAmata
Denim Demon

Postby VizardAmata » Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:17 am

Skippy wrote:
VizardAmata wrote:
bloodofthekings wrote:I can only assume the lack of european power/folk metal in favour the stuff I've just mentioned is simply down to Bloodstock wanting to skimp on cost which is very disappointing.

But I think a more important thing, especially for European bands, is the question of is is actually worth it for the band to come over here? In terms of cost vs audience gained, they can probably get a lot more for less cash spent in their back yard.

See a lot of people have said that, but do you really think EVERY single European power metal band is saying that? Especially when the likes of Sabaton have done so amazingly over here, and the likes of Hammerfall are happy to do Hammerfest, Twilight Force are happy to play opening slots in full tours, and most bands happy to come over for one off dates in London when they can. Its pure and simply Bloodstock not wanting to book them if you ask me.

True, that is a fair point. I did also leave out the cost for BOA vs the tickets sold from that band, but you do still have a good point I didn't really consider. There's no way that all the bands that metalicbear listed are unavailable for these reasons.

It just sucks really, I myself am not overly keen on power metal but it must be incredibly frustrating for people that do like it to see the festival leaving it's roots in the dust like this.

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:27 pm

metalicbear wrote:I've just had a look at bands who wouldn't look out of place at BOA who are playing in Europe around BOA weekend; who haven't played recently or should be due a bump up -

Powerwolf - Never

Played in 2010, definitely overdue a return!
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

Haldamir319
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Haldamir319 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:08 am

Reaper, Raised by Owls, Ward XVI, Decrepit Monolith and Prognosis officially announced.

Also confirmed: Thuum, Blood Thread and Na Cruithne

Cassius
Consort of the Beast

Postby Cassius » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:08 am

More New Blood bands announced including some runners up

Need to listen to most but I'm fucking excited to see Na Cruithne make it onto the line up

Bizza
Hell Bent for Leather

Postby Bizza » Thu Jun 29, 2017 11:29 am

Cassius wrote:More New Blood bands announced including some runners up

Need to listen to most but I'm fucking excited to see Na Cruithne make it onto the line up

Na Cruithne! Great news, Folk is a sadly overlooked genre at Bloodstock nowadays.
BOA - '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14, '15, '16, '17, '18,' 19.
Warhorns '12 '15 '16
WOA - '15
Damnation - '12
Download - '16 (Never fucking again)

fluffkitten
Paster of Muppets

Postby fluffkitten » Thu Jun 29, 2017 1:28 pm

So pleased about Na Cruithne, band of the announcement for me. Improves the Sunday no end, just as long as they don't clash with Hell.
a caffeine addict and known hater of mornings :coffee:

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:50 pm

Slev wrote:I've further seen some people argue that Grunge is a form of metal, but I've never been convinced. That said, as it's closer to the "template" than Nu Metal, if Nu Metal is metal, so is Grunge....but still wanted more variety in the bands I enjoy.

I like variety but you're stretching it a bit much if you're going to include nu metal in that bracket. Still doesn't solve the problem for some on here wanting some melody in their music :lol:

I'm glad to see the RAM gallery back, had a nice browse around there last year on the Saturday and will probably do so again this year. I wonder if we're going to get the weightlifting stuff back again, it was announced early June last year wasn't it? Not that I'm bothered if it doesn't come back, think something different would be good.

Gandalf the Red
Denim Demon

Postby Gandalf the Red » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:53 pm

You mean that thing they've been hyping on Facebook for months....
“He likes having the ball, playing football, passes. It’s like an orchestra. But it’s a silent song. But I like heavy metal more. I always want it loud.” - Jürgen Klopp

houston4044
Denim Demon

Postby houston4044 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:02 pm

Gandalf the Red wrote:You mean that thing they've been hyping on Facebook for months....

To be fair I rarely use FB or visit the BOA page :lol: